SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Vacuum cleaner discussion (again, sorry)

jojoco
last year

I know this has been covered, but the search engine wasn't that great.

I need a new vacuum. I hate my overpriced Dyson. It's the 11, I think. It mostly picks up dog hair, but never the bits of leaves or other tiny debris that accompanies my dogs when they come in the house. I'm tired of sweeping before I vacuum. Or sometimes after. And the Dyson doesn't ever feel like it is making the carpets look freshly vacuumed, even if it picks up a lot of hair. I know that sounds contradictory, but the surface of the rugs (wool orientals for the most part,) still look like they've been lightly dusted at best. And dog hair sometimes remains on the surface. I've washed the filter, etc. The battery life is fine, but also, the collection area malfunctions often and the contents end up above the rubber ring that is supposed to block them. Then the Dyson gasps repeatedly and quits. It is a PITA to try to clean that area out. IYKYK

We have two year round shedding dogs.

What I want:

- A cannister or quality upright with a bag. I'm tired of emptying the collection area.

- A vacuum that will make carpets look freshly vacuumed and clean hardwoods. Separate attachments are fine.

-Something I can carry as I vacuum the stairs.

My favorite vacuum was an old electrolux from 1991. I still have it, but the repairs never held up and I'm not sure it is worth putting more money into it. Also, I've had a Riccar about 15 years ago that was meh. DH had a miele that underperformed and smelled (probably from dogs). I'm gunshy on both those brands now.

Oh, and I don't want a Rainbow (do they even make those anymore??)

Willing to spend for quality.

So what suggestions do you have for me?

Thanks!

Comments (32)