Isabella Ducrot
Georgetown Tea
Beaute Inconstant
Mme Antoine Rebe
Mme Lombard
Maitland White
Devoniensis
Rosette Delizy
Madam Berard (a tea-noisette apparently)

I have a few on my wish list. But tell me about something I need to have that I might have overlooked. Bonus points for strong fragrance and shade tolerance.

My least favorite is Rebe. I bought her because of her color but I don't care for her form and she doesn't smell much. Maybe she will improve as she matures.

I accidentally have two BR Cants. When I moved her, I accidentally chopped her root mass in half. (Her growth habit did not indicate the location of her root mass to me--how was I to know?) The half that stayed in situ is doing well. The other half that moved to a significantly sunnier spot got very sick and is in recovery. I apologized to her and I hope that she will forgive me.

Comments (45)

• needmoremulch
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Le Pactole, Le Vesuve, and Mme. Antoine Mari, and Mme Joseph Schwartz are some of my most floriferous teas. Le Pactole is still in a nursery can, potted up from a band last fall, and it has been amazing. I also think I'm really going to like Rock Hill Peach Tea and Arcadia Louisiana Tea. Both are babies and blooming up a storm. I have some other young 'uns (including some already on your list) that are promising. I expect to know more this fall.

cedemas thanked needmoremulch
  • Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    5 years ago

I don't have many Teas, but of my handful 'Mme. Antoine Mari' is a big favorite, and so is 'Etoile de Lyon', which has the most sumptuous large full blooms, butter fading to cream, though mine in spring are regularly devastated by beetles. Neither is strongly scented, but both have some fragrance. Oh, and 'Clementina Carbonieri' (of commerce), though its blooms fry in sun, is wonderful. I don't know where you live or how you maintain your roses, but think it worth mentioning that in mild climates many Teas, who knows, perhaps all Teas, can make respectable climbers. CC, mentioned above, is scrambling up through shrubs to a fair height in my garden, and I'm weighing retraining 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' as a climber, as it's overrunning its neighbor, the Tea-Noisette 'Duchesse d'Auerstaedt'. Our summer sun is intense, and all my roses do better with some shade in the afternoon, but I wouldn't call the Teas shade tolerant.

cedemas thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • Related Discussions

What about your 'must have' annuals for next year?

Q

Comments (55)
    I just love threads like this -- the ideas are so wonderful! I have had the exact same combination in a huge bed for the last 5 years. Marigold 'Golden Guardian' -- not a patula, nor an erecta, but a single orange with ferny foliage -- combined with Salvia 'Victoria'. I have moss roses with zinnias in a different fairly large bed, and orange cosmos 'Bright Lights' in front of my white trumpet lilies. Then impatiens in the shade. Needless to say, although I love them all, I am ready for a change! Through trades, I have gotten a TON of seeds, and I am excited about each and every one of them. Buuu-uuut there are still some things I want to buy. One is Celosia cristata 'Orange Temple Bells' that JaneVx mentions above. Makes an excellent cut flower, and is "newer" looking than the other kinds of celosias I can find at the garden centers. The other things I want is an annual chyrsanthemum called 'Court Jester'. Parks has one called 'Merry Mix', but there is something fishy about the directions which tell you to direct sow after 1st frost, or two weeks ahead indoors, but then they go one to say, "Just when the summer color is fading from your annual bed, Merry Mix bursts into bloom!" Might have to rethink this one -- sounds like I would go all summer with green plants waiting for cool weather. Triple_B had a comment about Venidium, and this chrysanthemum has those dark rings, too, which I dearly love. (But it is NOT as cool as the Venidium with rings that look like like they were applied with eyeliner in some places.)In any case, I am ready for something new and different, even if it's only orange marigolds with STRIPES! LOL! Lime
    ...See More

Could you please tell me about these roses? Noisette and teas..

Q

Comments (2)
    'Clementina Carbonieri' is a beautiful rose: healthy, thrifty, with good foliage and sunset-colored flowers. My plants are slow growing but they also live in tough conditions; in time the plant will get big--my parent plant is about 6'x6', at a guess. I hear that the blooms fry in the heat. The flowers are usually smallish and semi-double, but if the plant is well fed and watered and gets a run of mild weather, it can produce large, double blooms, like a fluorescent version of a David Austin rose. The scent is of Tea: fresh, dry and woody. I highly recommend this rose. Melissa
    ...See More

Tell me about Rubens (Tea, 1859)

Q

Comments (7)
    Foliage and form is among the best of the teas. This one cascades down like a japanese maple. Repeat is great. But the fragrance is almost nonexistant. The worst thing about Rubens, and the reason I wouldn't replace it and consider S Ping this rose each year, is that the blooms are almost always marred. Even down here in Texas where we never get enough summer rain, the smallest hint of humidity makes the petals dot with brown. I see maybe a handful of pretty blooms each year. IMO, Rubens is one of those teas like Perle des Jardins and Blumenshmidt that really should no longer be offered to the public.
    ...See More

show me/tell me about your niche/shelf over your range

Q

Comments (11)
    There was a thread on this topic some months ago--see below. There are some good photos of niches. Our project is bogged down, but I have a few additional comments since I posted... Because we have to watch our pennies, I'm shopping in bargain places. One problem I have encountered is that oddball lots of tiles often don't include bullnose pieces as well as regular field tile sizes. The niche that we have roughed in will require some cute tricks to make ordinary tile edges seem attractive and classy; we don't want to just snip tiles and leave raw edges. DH, my sweaty equity, did not finish the niche smoothly when he created it in drywall because we knew we would cover it in tile. Now, we're thinking that we might not do the tiling right away and he'll have to pull out drywall tools and make a proper corner edging around the niche. This kind of "go back and do over" gig is getting very frustrating. [Meanwhile, I've found a smashingly exciting tile that of course only comes without trim pieces. It's sitting right next to me, thinking. Unfortunately it has a decidedly unfinished raw edge and will require tricky handling if we choose to use it. I just covered it over so I can't see it tempting me there on the table. Have to be more practical. ] Tile shops do carry a metal edging that can be used to finish off edges when no bullnose is available, but I haven't seen examples of it in actual use on a range niche. Would love to see a sample photo to reassure me. Also, remember that if you choose to work with a thick tile or a remnant of some kind of rock from countertop on the back of the niche, that will cut down the depth of the niche shelf. If you want the area above range/cooktop to be an artistic focal point, I humbly suggest that you either make a niche OR some kind of tile design but not both. If you choose too fancy a niche back, the items standing within the niche will compete with the tile design for viewer's attention. Mine will be a working kitchen, so we're planning to put oil bottles, vinegar bottles, salt shaker, etc. there and they are supposed to get top billing. Don't forget that you can suspend a second shelf in the niche if there's room. Here is a link that might be useful: Niche topic thread
    ...See More
  • needmoremulch
    5 years ago

Oh, I've also been impressed with Alexander Hill Gray and Anna Jung early.

cedemas thanked needmoremulch
  • catspa_zone9sunset14
    5 years ago

Second 'Mme. Antoine Mari' and 'Le Pactole', two of my most floriferous and consistent teas. Both have nice fragrances. "Arcadia Louisiana Tea" has stronger fragrance and uniquely enchanting blooms. Here's this year's photo of 'Le Pactole', on May 3, even before fully in bloom:

cedemas thanked catspa_zone9sunset14
  • User
    5 years ago

Two that were nicely fragrant for me:

Duchesse de Brabant

Clementina Carbonieri

cedemas thanked User
  • jerijen
    5 years ago

I agree completely about 'Le Pactole' -- it was slow to start for me, but well worth the wait. Thus my grief, that it was one of the roses I lost to heat/drought. Now, I have a young plant, and I'm prepared to start over.

If you can get it, I can't say enough good things about "Hubner Plot":

And Mme. Berkeley was a wonder here (tho some don't like the way her blooms shrink to mini size in hot weather.:

And how about the true 'Mlle. de Sombreuil':

and of course, 'Rosette Delizy!

cedemas thanked jerijen
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Mme. Joseph Schwartz and Duchesse de Brabant are the most fragrant for me. In my climate they need afternoon shade. In the increasing heat and drought my formerly great Le Vesuve and Mme. de Sombreuil are developing many dead branches. Mme. Lambard, of which I have two, is so far faring better but are also younger. It's a very good rose in all respects, although it does not have outstandingly shapely blooms. A new favorite for me is Baronne Henriette de Snoy. Mme. Antoine Mari I disbud and use as a prop for BHdS because here the blooms are awful with the slightest heat. Rosette Delizy is good in all respects except fragrance. William R. Smith is a very pretty rose, also best kept in afternoon shade in hot and dry climates.

cedemas thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • luxrosa
    5 years ago

I've had a lengthy love affair with 'Marachal Niel' though I loved and lost that rose.

These are my most loved Teas in my garden, I have several others but they lack scent;

Celine Forestier I love lemony hued roses, and this has an exquisite scent.

I love white roses best and I would not be without Westside Road Cream Tea' for its elegant beauty and dependably moderate to strong fragrance.

Mrs. Dudley Cross with her sumptuous five inch wide blooms, and penetrating fragrance, leaves me nearly speechless, she just finished a massive flush.

Cl. 'Florence Bowers Pink Tea' I love this rose because it is as richly colored as Clementina Carbonieri, which I also have, but Cl. F.B.P.T. is wonderfully fragrant, and has many hues of pink, and in cool weather these take on tropical tones from grapefruit to flamingo pink. Teas on my must have list:

Etoille de Lyon

Baronne Henriette Snoy

Lux.

P.S. I had to move Mrs. B.R. Cant to a semi-shaded spot because the blooms frizzled like a red red rose does in heat.

cedemas thanked luxrosa
  • jerijen
    5 years ago

I also had to come back, and put in a word in praise of 'Mme. Antoine Rebe'.

She is for us a generous bloomer. And the informal blooms have a unique silken sheen that I have come to love. The plant, now approaching maturity is handsome and colorful. Well worth the garden space, say I.

cedemas thanked jerijen
  • cedemas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My Rebe just put out her second bloom and for some reason this time she is extremely fragrant! I am beyond delighted! And yes, I have noticed that nice sheen to her petals.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

cedemas, you have a whole lot of Teas that I've never had, but I will put in my tuppence worth for G Nabonnand, which I don't think anyone else has mentioned. It's a lovely shapely shrub, blooms almost non-stop, and is thornless, as is Mrs Dudley Cross, which is also a favourite of mine. Only problem with Mrs DC is that often the blooms are so large that the stems are goose-necked. Another favourite of mine is Anna Olivier. Again, it is a shapely shrub, and blooms generously. I had Angels Camp Tea, but lost it. I've ordered another, as the milky pink blooms in Spring were glorious.

I wish, wish, wish I could get FBPT, especially after luxrosa's glowing report, but, like many other roses, it is not available here.

Trish

cedemas thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • sabalmatt_tejas
    5 years ago

Florence Bowers Pink tea, Devoniensis, Mrs Dudley Cross, Moser striped rainbow, General Gallieni

cedemas thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • User
    5 years ago

I don't think this one has been mentioned so far, and it's not on your list, so you might be interested...

'clg. Lady Hillingdon'... taken today...

cedemas thanked User
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Marlorena, I wanted to get that Cl. Hallingdon so bad but I can't till I fixed my fence. That was my first on the list and now after seeing your pic I just cannot wait :)

I cannot choose which teas but I love everyone's favourites and all the pics are so lovely and beautiful. Mine are so young to tell yet :)

Jin

cedemas thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Marlorena, I'm pretty sure someone has said this before, but your cl. Lady Hillingdon is such a saturated yellow. It's stupendous. The bush form was once one of the more common old roses in Sydney (for the most part they have long gone, and been replaced by lilly pillies etc or housing). The only ones I've seen here are a muted buff apricot.

• catspa_zone9sunset14
    5 years ago

I just noticed today that the lower, interior blooms on my bush Lady Hillingdon (last of the first flush!) are currently close to that saturated yellow, not the usual buff. It is stupendous! We've had a few weeks of cloudy-foggy "June gloom" (a few weeks early), and cool temperatures, plus those blooms, on mine, are in relative shade. I imagine the relatively cool climate of England encourages that color.

cedemas thanked catspa_zone9sunset14
    5 years ago

I had Cl. Lady Hillingdon (and the bush form, for that matter) and never have I seen that strong yellow color. I don't think I could even identify yours, Marlorena, as Cl. Lady Hillingdon, that's how odd it looks to me. It seems extremely happy in your garden.

• User
    5 years ago

Yes I think it's also to do with the cooler temps here, as it reaches full flush quite early for us, when temps are not that high usually. It's only been 70-75F max in my garden recently...

Thanks..

cedemas thanked User
  • cedemas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Reviving this thread. I've added these to my collection:
    Rainbow
    Papa Gontier
    William R. Smith
    Clementina Cabonieri

Mme. Franziska Krueger

Souvenir de Francois Gaulain (RPN has a magnificent specimen in the display gardens and the scent is much more robust than the usual tea scent)

And these are on the way:

Alliance Franco Russe

Bermuda's Anna-Olivier

Gloire de Dijon (fingers crossed about this one, I'm reading scary threads about weak source plants)

Sui Mei Ren

Something is wrong with me because I still want more.

I had to invest in one of those pole pruning saw things and spent all day yesterday removing branches so as to admit more light to my roses.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

cedemas, you are having a lot of fun! You might want to consider General Schablikine, if you want more. It is winter here, and he has the most beautiful coppery pink blooms, and they're quite scented. My plant is only two yo, and has been moved, but with the recent rains, it has shot up to around 4', and promises to be nicely shaped. Sorry I can't post a photo, as my camera broke, and I don't yet know how to upload from my phone.

• cedemas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Titian, thanks, yes, General is on my wishlist. In fact, I almost got him last time I was at RPN. One thing that helps me decide between two roses (in this case it was between him and Papa Gontier) is if one of them is blooming and it is fragrant--that will be the one that I pick. In this case, PG won. But I will go back for GS for sure.

I am not very good with my phone camera, either. All my photos go to "virtual storage" so even with a cable I can't upload them. (GRR. Does anyone know a workaround for this?)

What I do whenever I post pics is kind of convoluted. I mail them to myself with the phone, then download them to my desktop computer and then upload them when I post. It's an enormous PIA but my phone is so tiny and basically worthless for posting (the camera is also shabby) that I don't use it directly to post.

5 years ago

cedemas, there is nothing wrong with you, unless all of us have something wrong, which in this case I don't consider a bad thing.

I have to mention Baronne Henriette de Snoy again, because of its health, vigor and continuous production of large, beautiful blooms. However, we haven't had really hot weather so I can't comment on its appearance in that respect. At any rate it's not a rose I would give up now. I think this is going to become quite a large rose, with sturdy canes and large leaves. I'm anxious for Jesse Hildreth and Mme. Franziska Krueger to grow large and robust enough to outgrow their cages and the reach of the rabbits, but I'm afraid it will be another year before that happens. Neither is very vigorous for me. I wish I had potted up Florence Bowers because that very small band hasn't put on any growth in the ground so far. Most roses don't appreciate the tough love I give them and are not afraid to let me know their displeasure.

• cedemas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ingrid, yes, thanks, Baronne Henriette is on my wishlist but she is out of stock every time I go to RPN. I am also very interested in JE Murphy's Pink Tea (which might also be Mme. Emilie Charrin), Tipsy Imperial Concubine, Mme. Driout (stripes!) and Triomphe du Luxembourg but they, too, are always out of stock.

That is another reason why I am accumulating so much. If what I want is not in stock, I just get something else. Then, some time later, what I originally wanted comes in stock, so I get that, too.

At this rate I will end up with 1000 pots.

It would not be a bad thing if I did not have to worry about retirement and other bills. In fact I love supporting the people who are keeping this industry alive. There's hardly anything I'd rather do with my money at the moment. I just need to be sure that I can also eat, pay my property taxes, and so forth.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Cedemas, Brittie in Texas posted in the HMF journals how much she loves Sdf Gaulain. I really appreciate brittie's remarks in the HMF journal on other roses too. I got Trinity because of brittie and it is lovely.

cedemas thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • cedemas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Sheila. I've noticed many of Brittie's posts through searches but she hasn't been posting recently. I will check out her journals on HMF.

• barbarag_happy
    5 years ago

I love my new Madame Lambard and would NEVER be without Le Vesuve. Jean Bach Sisley is coming along; I'm seeing much lighter tones than I expected so she contrasts with Le Vesuve, but not with Mme. Antoine Mari. Of course I need to grow them all for a year or two more to see ALL their colors.

I don't have (sob!) Mrs. B. R. Cant. The original plant grew into a monster 12 wide and 8 feet tall then was struck down by a polar vortex. I would love to grow her again, love both the form and the color of her blooms.

I am resisting Le Pactole and Mlle. de Sombrueil because the pale ones just don't speak to me, and I already have Mrs. Dudley Cross, Wm.R. Smith and G. Nabonnand. With our hot nights (8A) we almost never see any pink on the blooms of Mrs. Dudley. Giving her a bit more shade this time, we'll see!

cedemas thanked barbarag_happy
  • User
    5 years ago

This is a great thread. Sometimes I toy with the idea of getting together a small collection of Teas for my garden, but there are so many of them, and many of them do all go through phases when they look "too similar" to their siblings to be highly desirable to me ,considering that even in my large garden, space is not infinite, and resources are limited. Then there is also the issue of combining them with other,more modern types of rose: many of them have such graceful habits and poise that , next to them, a modern rose shrub or bush can look kind of "clunky". Add to this the fact that they can get very much larger than nurseries estimate ; placing must be done with care. Choosing amongst so many beauties is so difficult, and these comments are so helpful.

cedemas thanked User
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Bart, I totally agree with you. This is a great thread.Thanks , Cedemas!

It helps anyone including me to decide. Choosing so many Beauties can be so difficult.

Barbarag, made a great point. Most of teas don't show heir pinks and turns same color Bec of heat

This helps me also. Our weather is so hot and 11 months out of a year, we have summer conditions.

Thinking about all this, I noticed most of my roses are pale colours. I should have only one white which is Dutcher but they all look the same colour to me. Lol.

Jin

cedemas thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • User
    5 years ago

See, what with the lack of artificial irrigation in my garden, my roses only are truly reliable for a spring flush-not even constant bloomers like Teas give me any significant blooms after that on a reliable basis. So I need to find Teas that even in the cool weather will show colours other than the coppery-pink...

cedemas thanked User
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Love this thread, Cedemas! Mine are like Jin’s, just babies, so I can’t really add anything.

I just bought a pole tree saw for the same reason! :-)

cedemas thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Cedemas, I’m finally reading this thread, and what a good one it is! I always give an inner cringe when I read about all the beautiful Tea roses that I feel I really ought to be growing. I have the perfect climate for them, but I lack the space. I want to grow many roses, so most Tea’s are out for me. That being said, I do grow Duchess de Brabant and we have a love-hate relationship. She would be much happier in afternoon shade, and she suffers from powdery mildew 6 months out of the year. Nevertheless, she blooms on and on. Her blooms are so delicate and lovely.

Another one I grow, that I love, is Leveson Gower. Apparently she’s a Tea/Bourbon, and I mainly chose this rose because it promised not to grow enormous. It hasn’t, and I really like it. Good scent, lots of blooms, and low and compact. It has good fragrance. My only complaint, is again some powdery mildew, but nothing like Duchess de Brabant. LG has recently been relocated, and is settling in nicely. I’m hoping that once the roots establish themselves deeply the powdery mildew day’s will be left behind. Here’s a few pictures of Leveson Gower.

Leveson Gower is one of the brighter roses I grow, but that’s a good thing. This one doesn’t get lost in my “sea of pastel pinks”.

I’m excited that you’re getting Sui Mei Ren! I paid for one in January and still haven’t received it. I think we’re waiting on ‘September Morn’ to grow large enough to ship with Sui Mei Ren. Where is yours coming from? We’ll have to keep eachother posted about her growth, as there’s not much information out about this special rose. Lisa

cedemas thanked Lisa Adams
  • cedemas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lisa, your Leveson Gower and DDB are gorgeous!

I cancelled my order with Sui Mei Rein (had ordered this last batch from A Reverence for Roses). I got a little spooked about all the money I've been spending.

It's time to settle down and concentrate on taking care of what I have rather than getting more. And from now on, each new purchase needs to be an educated decision--do I really need it, is it a near duplicate of what I already have, what are the chances of survival beyond 5 years, do I have the space for it?

For a long time I was frantically acquiring because it takes 2-3 years for them to show their stuff and I wanted the big display ASAP.

I'm in maintenance mode now. I still want those roses, though!

• User
    5 years ago

OMG, is Leveson Gower really that luscious mauve-y pink I'm seeing on my screen??? If so, must have it. That said, in reality I should be taking cedamas' attitude, because that is where I really should be at,not wanting to add more... "It's time to settle down and concentrate on taking care of what I have
    rather than getting more. And from now on, each new purchase needs to be
    an educated decision--do I really need it, is it a near duplicate of
    what I already have, what are the chances of survival beyond 5 years, do
    I have the space for it?" But if LG is indeed compact...o, I am awful!

• jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

cedemas - have you planted all of your teas into the ground? They will probably get way too big in your climate to stay in pots longer than a couple of years. When you do plant them, I would recommend either planting them far apart, or planning on them growing into each other. That's what mine do, and I love it. Here is a pic of what turned out to be two bushes of Le Vesuve, (my ancient one which is no longer with us, but I have bushes of its rooted cuttings growing in my garden). In my climate several of the tea roses get as big as these. This pic was taken when we moved into the house - these roses had received NO care for at least 30 years - go figure.

Jackie

P.S. There is a debate whether LV is a tea rose or a china rose - it certainly grows like a china, and thus might really like your climate.

cedemas thanked jacqueline9CA
  • cedemas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jackie, your LVs are very luscious! I suspect that he is mostly china with some tea blood.

Papa Gontier and William R. Smith, my newest teas, are now in 2 gallon pots. I want to put them in the back when they get big. They are in pots now so that the dogs will not trample on them. Everybody else (who is a tea) is in the ground either big enough for the dogs to avoid or in the front yard. Still we have some moments--trampled shoots now and then. Of course I cry. That is why the newest two are in pots.

Yes, they will grow into each other.

• Natalie (zone 6/7 CT coast)
    5 years ago

I only have one tea rose — Gloire de Dijon, and she’s in a big pot because it gets too cold for her in the winter here. I love her though — and the insects do too unfortunately. I’ve had her since the spring.

cedemas thanked Natalie (zone 6/7 CT coast)
  • cedemas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

She is pefect, Natalie!

• User
    5 years ago

When I first started growing teas, I posted a summary of my experience on a similar thread to this one. That thread has been resurrected multiple times--and I've been a little embarrassed each time I see it, because I realize now that I still had so much to learn at that time. I'm grateful that the forum members here are so forgiving and supportive, no matter my experience level. So at the risk of embarrassing my future self again, here is my experience with teas and tea-noisettes to date:

Blumenschmidt: This grew very well for me, and for a while I really enjoyed it--because it was always in bloom and the flowers varied between well-formed classic tea shapes and picturesquely quartered blooms. But eventually, it started to take on the characteristics of MFK, with flowers that always balled and mildewed in cool, damp weather. I removed it several years ago.

Bon Silene: This is my most vigorous non-climbing tea, and it is always in bloom. It does suffer from mildew, which can be troubling because it is so huge. But I'm hoping with age that it will get more healthy. Right now, it's about eight feet wide and twelve feet tall, and still spreading. The flowers aren't always perfect, and sometimes loose and sloppy, but other times they can surprise me with their beauty.

Crepuscule: This was my first tea-noisette, and I was probably too impatient with it. When the flowers first opened, they were a eye-catching apricot yellow, but they tended to turn to a muddy, ill-formed yellow brown for me. Because I had other roses I wanted to try, I took it out, but now I regret it. Madame Gregoire Staechelin took its place.

Dr. Rouges: This is still very young for me, but I'm liking it so far. The flowers start out dark red, and then open to a coppery-pink quilled full bloom.

G. Nabonnand: This is turning into one of my favorite teas. It's been very healthy for me, and the flowers, while they can be loose (as Capt. Thomas would say) are variable in the best way, ranging from huge, perfect blooms to casual, soft, collapsing petals. The color shifts from soft white to soft pink in my climate, depending on the season.

General Schablikine: This remains my favorite of the teas, because it has such a spectacularly generous bloom in the middle of winter, with flowers that are the best type of copper red, fading to pink at the center. The bush has been very healthy, and it has not gotten out-of-control huge.

Lady Waterlow: This is sometimes classed as a climbing hybrid tea, sometimes as a tea-noisette. After two rough starts, it's now doing great for me, and I am looking forward to next year's bloom as the bush continues to establish itself. After three years of growth, it's about 10' x 12' and still growing up and out.

Madame Berkeley: This rose took a lot of abuse from me. I left it in a bad spot as a band for a year, and it always looked near to death but it did not die. I have it in a much better location now, and it has been trouble free. My only problem is that the blooms seem to look better with more vibrant color in hot weather, so most of the time, mine have been a soft flesh pink. It's also not the most floriferous tea I have grown.

Mlle. Franziska Kruger: I bought this rose as Duchesse de Brabant, but it turned out to be MFK. Most of the time the flowers balled and mildewed, while the bush grew too vigorously. In my climate, even when the flowers did manage to open, they looked like they were stained with lipstick, with odd red coloring on the outer petals and a muddled yellow-apricot on the inner. So I removed it at the same time as Blumenschmidt. It seems like this may be a much better tea for warm, dry locations.

Mamon Cochet: This was another tea that other folks love that just didn't work in my climate. Almost all of the flowers balled for me. But when they did open, they were spectacular. This one died on its own before I could remove it, but I was not upset, based on its performance.

Marechal Neil: Just starting with this one, but it looks like I may have balling issues. I will wait and see. It's growing nicely for me so far.

Marie d'Orleans: This had more deeply red flowers than any other tea I've grown, but I planted it in a difficult spot, and it died from lack of water before it could even get started.

Miss Agnes C. Sherman: I'm really liking this tea, although after a quick start for me, it's been quiet this spring and summer. I am willing to give it time to continue to develop.

Niphetos: I've posted about my struggles with Niphetos. It is extremely slow growing, it suffers from rust, mildew and any other disease that gets near it. Most of the time the flowers ball. But when I do get a perfect bloom (about once a year) it's probably my most spectacular rose.

Rainbow: This one died almost immediately on me. I shouldn't have put the band directly into the ground.

Souvenir d'un Ami: I had the generic version of this, with plain pink flowers, so I ended up taking it out.

Thomasville Old Gold: This was another failed experiment for me--again, I probably shouldn't have put the band directly in the ground.

William Allen Richardson: This is one of those roses that I've always wanted, and haven't been able to find. I got a small band from Vintage, and tried to give it as much love as possible, but it just didn't take off. If I ever find it again, I will give it another try. I have its descendant, Buff Beauty, which is one of my favorites.

cedemas thanked User
    5 years ago

Are you on the West coast of California, rbehs?

• User
    5 years ago

Yes, I am in Oakland, California.

5 years ago

I'm a bit surprised you have balling on roses there, rbehs. Who knew?

• User
    5 years ago

I blame it on the fog from San Francisco Bay that comes in most evenings and lasts through mid-morning. It's quite damp in the summer, even though we get no rain. I think I have some insect problems, too, though.

• User
    5 years ago

Rbehs, thank you for your detailed post. This is the sort of info that is so helpful to others, IMO.

• User
    5 years ago

Thank you!