SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_45557632

Help! Adobe window color, and siding that reduces mass of garage?

User
5 years ago

We are downsizing and building a small affordable home... Contractor says Couer d'Alene windows are the best bang for the buck here... but at that price only come in white or adobe colors. (Adding the color of bronze to the exterior add 50% to the price).

1) On the inside, I feel white is harsh to look through and detracts from the view, do you think adobe would be the same way, I'm having trouble finding anyone that has posted photos? Or if you have white with great views, please share. What would you trim adobe with? Kitchen cabinets would probably be a grey, thinking walls in a greige or oatmeal off white. Wood floors. Wood doors.

2) On the exterior, we were wanting a mountain house, woodsy feel to blend in with the surrounding area. Charcoal and browns. We have this giant stack of a garage with 720sf above it, and due to the layout of the lot, that is our main entry to the sloped property (closest access to the road, less to snow blow, allowing the best views). My preference would be to have dark exterior windows so they blend in (but at 50% more cost, we're having a hard time justifying)..... if you know of a way to make adobe work on the exterior, please share. I will be getting a quote for Anderson 100's, and if they are only 20% more I may be able to justify the increase.

3) As for the mass of the garage, I have seen larger houses that used the same dark color for the roof and upper siding, that seemed to give the look of a larger roof, and seemed to reduced the visual mass... am I dreaming or is this a true optical illusion? Any suggestions on how to create a better look with siding or different window shapes or style would be appreciated.

Below are a few ideas I tried in google docs.... showing the garage/west side and the south side ... as these are the two sides that will need the curb appeal.

West/garage side.

South side

I will need an egress on the upper right corner of garage, which could be around the corner on the south side, but I'm not sure how to make that window schedule flow around the corner. What larger egress windows would work with this smalle style?

Comment (1)