SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treecity

Please help us get the garage details right

Oaktown
10 years ago

We're trying to finalize the design of our garage and would appreciate comments/input. Our detached garage is in front of the house in an entry forecourt, so we really want it to look nice. The house/garage relationship is something more or less like in these pictures:

Eclectic Exterior by Seattle Architects & Designers Dan Nelson, Designs Northwest Architects

Traditional Exterior by Greenville Interior Designers & Decorators Linda McDougald Design : Postcard from Paris Home

Traditional Exterior by Norwich Architects & Designers Smith & Vansant Architects PC

Our house will be a "farmhouse style" end gable with shed dormers over a porch roof. White board and batten, metal roof. The 2-car detached garage is connected to the porch by an open breezeway. The garage has a low-pitched hip roof (3.5/12, same as porch and breezeway) to try to keep it from looking too big, but it still is fairly tall due to the breezeway connection. It's roughly 11.5' from grade to the plate(?), so there's a pretty big space between the top of the garage doors and where the roof begins.

3 ideas from the architect -- which would you pick (or do you have any other suggestions)?

1. Budget option. Use same board and batten look as on main house. Put gooseneck barn lights over each of the two garage doors to try to fill up some of the space between the top of the doors and the roof.

2. Window option. Add transoms over the garage doors to echo the transoms on the main house. These would be the same size and height as the house transoms. If we went this route we could either (a) use the same windows as we are using on the house (these are a bit pricey) or (b) use the same size but cheaper window and try to match or not match. Lighting would go on the sides of the doors.

3. Stone veneer option. I'm pretty much ready to rule this out -- sounds like a budget-buster, and I am thinking it also might look out of place? We are in California and because of earthquakes don't have many stone or brick buildings. But, I found a photo that looked pretty nice.

div>

Traditional Exterior by Richmond Architects & Designers Watershed Architects

Thanks for any opinions!

Comments (24)