SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ckgarris

Kitchen Design w/ Awkward Window

coleman garrison
5 years ago

I have an L shaped kitchen 89" by 114" inches. Everything is being replaced. Along the 114" wall is a window 23 inches tall from the very top of the ceiling (which is 98" tall) meaning the bottom of the window starts 75" from the floor). It's 36" wide with 62" to the left and 16" to the right (there is a wall to the right of fridge.) The window is not shown on the design here but you can see how everything is laid out. I was planning on just covering over the window to get the full 42" cabinets, the current ones are 30 inches and are hung with only a 14 1/2 space between counters and wall cabinets so even with the awkward spacing above the counters currently, the current cabinets cover the bottom part of window. How bad is it to cover up the window? Not concerned about natural light. Alternatively, if I can't really move the sink/dishwasher off the 89" wall, what could realistically be done to preserve the window if I don't want to cover it? If I don't do cabinets above the fridge that part wouldn't be covered and then move the range over so the microwave cabinets are flush with the left of the window that will leave 8 inches space between the base cabinets and start of range. Not exactly a lot of space to really put anything and it doesn't really allow for a blind cabinet there, lots of wasted space..thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (13)