SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimpinn

Need professional advice on pergola installation issue

6 years ago

We hired a licensed GC to build a freestanding cedar pergola approx 12' x 14' on our new travertine patio. Initially, I wanted to build it before the pool and pavers were installed but he wanted to wait until the pavers and pool were done then he would remove the pavers, put in footings and install the pergola. We went with that plan but when I saw their installation of the cedar posts, he had drilled the brackets into the travertine pavers. I wasn't comfortable with that because travertine seems fairly fragile and breaks easily. I asked about the cement pilings he said he was going to do and he said drilling the brackets into the travertine through to the concrete fine would be strong enough because once the fine gets wet it will be solid enough to hold the pergola, and it wasn't going to 'blow away'. We live in a beach community in FL which is obviously prone to hurricanes so we want to make sure the construction can handle this. We asked him to put metal roofing panels on the pergola to provide protection from sun and rain too. I pushed on the pergola and in one direction it seems ok, but the other has give with just me pushing it so I asked him again about he stability. He said he'd brace it to the soffit which makes me more uncomfortable given how heavy it is and how bad the storms can and have been.

From what I could find online for installation instructions, this installation doesn't seem at all sufficient as he installed it which is what I am looking for advice how to handle this. Also, He used smaller screws to connect the 2x10's to the posts and from the instructions online, the recommended guidelines look like carriage or lag bolts for the 2x10's?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Comments (4)