SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_84007406

Floors Cracking!!! Need advice from professional installers.

HU-84007406
4 years ago

I recently had a major 1st Floor reno done in Michigan. I had Cali Bamboo engineered bamboo flooring placed throughout the first floor (approx 1200+ sq ft) Reno started Mid-Feb, floor installed and then covered mid-March, reno completed mid-April and uncovered. I noticed end board gaps, which at the time I thought was normal. Had to have 2 boards replaced for lifting/buckling, one in April and one early June. By mid-November entire Install was cracking/splintering and with both end board and side board gaps. Contractor will not replace and take responsibility. Through pics I can see that expansion gaps were not to manufacture guidelines. Also, boxes and plastic shrink rap never opened prior to install date. Unfortunately, I deleted pics of flooring still in boxes prior to floors cracking. I happened to mention to another flooring company that they were painting prior to, during and after installation. I was told that this was a major no-no. I’m wondering 1) are gaps in newly installed flooring ever acceptable? I noticed it about 3 weeks after floor install was completed when paper covering was removed 2) can improper expansion gaps cause cracking? 3) Is it ok to paint with water based paint while acclimating and installing wood/bamboo floors? I now understand mine was not acclimated correctly given it was left in boxes & plastic, but if the ends of the boxes had been opened per manufacturer guidelines, is it still not acceptable to paint? And if not, generally how long should you wait before installing floor after painting?

TIA for all the help!!!

Comments (8)