SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
three4rd47

Vincas died under maple tree

three4rd47
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi,

We had a landscaper create a flower bed under a large maple tree last summer - dug it all out, new soil, mulch, etc. and then he filled the bed with hostas and (variegated) vincas. The hostas are coming up fine, but it appears all the vincas died. Somehow I didn't expect this, being that vincas seem to be one of the tougher perennials around. Any thoughts? Worst part is that the guy who did the work is nowhere to be found. I've tried emailing and calling to no avail. I would think he guarantees his plants for at least a year. Paid a pretty good buck for them too! I did a bit of research here and am finding that it's a bit difficult to find things that will survive under a maple tree. Wish he would have told me that before we came up with the idea (actually was his idea). A good amount of ground was added (maple is in a sloped area) - he really graded it up so it's not like the plantings were in the original ground surface around the maple. There is a rock wall around the whole thing, so it's sort of like a separate elevated bed around the tree. I'd think that should help matters unless those maple roots just push up and interfere with whatever is planted anyway. (?)

Comments (19)