SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dva79

New HVAC- How did my contractor do?

dva79
5 years ago

Hey all, last month I had replaced a 20 years old furnace and AC (working fine but wanted to be proactive). I received about 7 quotes and went the contractor I felt would do the best install at a fair price. Overall, I am happy with how it turned out. However, I would like some other opinions on a few questions I had.

Home details: 2900 sqft home, two stories, Chicagoland area

Old System: Carrier

132K BTU 80% Furnace

5 Ton AC (builders grade)

New System: Trane

100K BTU two-stage S9V2

4 Ton XR16

Furnace Questions:

(1) In stage one, they system is definitely quieter than my old furnace. However, I can hear it when it is on. In stage 2, it is about the same as my old one - is this to be expected? I may have been under the impression that it would be extremely quite but should this really only be expected in stage 1? I have an ecobee3 controlling the stages and so far it only runs in stage 1 unless I bump it up more than two degrees.

(2) I noticed that the contractor did not put turning vanes on the return going into the media filter - I didn't request these as I didnt know about them until reading about them on this site. Should I have requested these? Would this make any difference?

AC Questions

(1) The original plan for the AC was to put it on my existing brackets so it would be off the ground. However, when day of install came, the contractor recommended that I put it on a concrete pad since the XR16 is so large (I was actually shocked at how large this thing was!). He also stated that being on the ground would reduce the sound. So, I agreed and had him put it on a pad. However, now I am wondering if this will allow proper drainage of snow/rain. Should I ask that snow legs be added? Will being on the pad actually reduce sound? He is coming back next week to start up the AC for the first time so now would be the time to get these items done.

I have included some pictures of the install for your review.

Thanks for your feedback!

Comments (17)