SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Shady, rowhouse landscaping help!

Kendrah
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

What large shrubs can I grow in a container that will stay green nearly year round and thrive in shade? I prefer something that is not piney or needles. I live in Philadelphia. I think it is zone 6 or 7. Here is the layout of my space. The red arrows show the problem areas.

Kitchen Door Planter

I've tried ivy here many times and it doesn't thrive. Could something else work and stay green year round? Is this too shallow for a shrub to root? I'd like something with height. Does it need to be insulated or better drainage as I don't think there is any?

Empty Fence Stretch

What can I grow in this big, empty, shady fence area? We had a laurel in a pot for three years that started to brown this winter and snapped in a wind storm. Should I try another one and pot it differently?

I found this pot at a junk shop for $50 and wonder if I should get it. I could probably put holes in the bottom and maybe paint it. Is this a good container for planting a shrub in? Might paint it dark green?

Corner

I like having something grow in a pot on this corner so it leads the eye around. Had hibiscus kind of plant in here for 2 year and it has not come back. What would be soft and big and grow in shade? Do any grasses do that?

I'm open to all ideas! Thanks.

Comments (14)