SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Living room layout, 11 x 12

AMS
6 years ago

Hi all,

I recently bought a cute (small!) 1200 sq ft house built in 1948. It has a dainty living room with a fireplace and large window. The room is 11 x 12 - it's actually larger, but the back part of the room is actually more a walk way from the front door to the back of the house (see drawing below).

Here is a photo of the empty living room (the 11x12 part)

I am buying all new furniture, but am agonizing about scale and arrangement. Right now I have my old furniture in there, and it is comically large in the space (see photo below). The current arrangement really blocks the room, and when I played around with furniture placement, I think it makes more sense to have a sofa along the wall, and 2 chairs facing the sofa (one at either side of the large window). Does this make sense? Am I missing a more creative arrangement? I ask because I read some blog that said a rookie mistake is to place a sofa against a wall...

FWIW, I'm considering smaller scale furniture like this sofa (80 inches wide, 35 inches deep), and these chairs, not sure if leather or fabric (but haven't made any decisions yet). Side note: shopping for furniture is exhausting!

Thanks for your input on furniture arrangement and layout! And yes, I will be getting all new window treatments and moving the TV elsewhere :)

Comments (19)