SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_bennett77

Design/Layout Help for 12x19 living room!

Michelle Bennett
6 years ago

Hi all! First time poster here. I need help with several things. Right now we have our TV blocking a window in our already dimly lit living room. I need suggestions as to where we should put it! I've suggested to my husband we rearrange our shelving unit next to the entry way to house our TV instead of having it set up as a desk area. He is concerned that it would be too close to our main entry way/it would get bumped since that is a higher traffic area. I don't think it would be an issue, but what are your thoughts? Is that a terrible idea? How would we lay out the rest of the living room? Should we add another couch or 2 chairs? (Sorry for all the questions!) Restrictions: 1.) we dislike tv's above fireplaces. craning our necks doesn't sound super fun. 2.) the wall that the couch is against is directly facing that window that created a huge glare

Second thing: We love the vintage mid century look..I love pretty much everything West Elm has to offer. That said, the maroon/purple recliner is NOT my ideal aesthetic lol. My husband has had that since college and it sadly got "married in" to our house. However, It's very comfortable for his 6'5" frame and he's had a hard time finding a comfy chair that will work for him - help? I would love to have a leather eames-style recliner as it's replacement but I fear it will be too small/uncomfortable for him. Any tall guys have experience with those?

Third thing: I need help with area rug suggestions/design suggestions in general. The blue couch and coffee table are staying (my husband built the coffee table himself & I love our unique couch!), but everything else I'm not tied to. Finding a rug to go with our couch has been a pain & I'm not super happy with the one we ended up with. Also - throw pillows? Art for behind the sofa?

All that to say - We need help with our layout and making our living room look awesome! I would love some feedback :)

Comments (6)