SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucrecia_choto

Need advice as to what to keep and what to change

Lucrecia Choto
6 years ago

We are in the process of putting an offer on a small 1965 house (1700 sqft). I don't know which features can be changed/upgraded and which features should be left alone. Please disregard the furniture, it will be taken by the current owners. The ceiling seems to have some sort of wash/stain on it, we are not sure about the paneling (keep, remove, paint?) some bricks have been hand painted white and black, is that a feature that needs to remain or can it be changed? If you recommend change, please specify how to change.

This next picture is facing the kitchen.

There is a floating upper cupboard held by steel beams. Should that be kept or can we open the space up by removing it. We have the same question regarding the brick. Should we keep the existing cabinets?

There is extensive paneling in the master bedroom and the rest of the house, which makes the rooms somewhat dark. Should this be changed somehow?

Lastly what should we put for flooring? All of the house has low grade beige carpeting and linoleum.

Thank you in advance for any advice you each may provide.

Comments (35)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I would white wash that brick and all the wood except the beams. Of course, i would want to talk to you about style you want first. Plus, know what furnishings you will be bringing to the new house. Last, get a good feel for your budget. Knowing budget is very important to know what type options to offer you. What is your vision for the space?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Here are a few examples.
  • Related Discussions

Change to rixi crema or keep what we have?

Q

Comments (11)
    I have no idea what is entailed to take out the old back splash. I am going to have the contractor do it when he builds & installs my new wooden hood area. I am definitely going to remove the 4" granite backsplash. I am not sure if I have to have the granite company do that, but I am going to call the owner of the granite company Monday. What is a black & cream runner? Do you mean alternate black & cream tiles? I don't think I would like that.
    ...See More

Keep the Peninsula or Switch to Double Islands? Need Advice!

Q

Comments (4)
    I think it depends, in part, on what you are after. A lot of people view islands as a place to allow people to gather in the kitchen, with the outside edge usually providing a place to sit and gather that is out of the way. If that is what you are after, then the double island will not achieve it. The double island approach is nice, but I think you will find that the seating island will not feel like it is part of the kitchen, but rather a table outside of the action. The peninsula, however, because it is connected to the other counters will feel more integrated.
    ...See More

Change the dark look and what colors???need advice badly

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you!! It is actually dark brown..but picture does look dated dark grey!! And the front door is painted a tan color.. I am also trying to find someone to build front steps..with maybe concrete walk to drive way.. I love try to take some better pictures in little bit..it's pouring rain here!!East Tennessee!! I would love any and all suggestions!!thank you so much for helping!!
    ...See More

Keep kitchen layout or make changes? Seeking advice!

Q

Comments (2)
    Your current layout has a lot going for it. I like the L-shaped prep path (yellow lines), with the DW just outside. You might consider squaring the island, and keeping dishes in drawers across from the DW. Incoming groceries can be placed on the island, for loading to the fridge and pantry (green line), and the fridge is a straight shot from the living areas (blue line). I do like the idea of a prep sink on the island--when you have guests now, and someday when your child might be sharing cooking tasks (red lines). If Your problem area: if you can slide the fridge to the right a bit, you could have a MW built into the upper cabinet, with a coffee center below, near the buffet service.
    ...See More
  • HKO HKO
    6 years ago
    Cool house. Are the cabinets in good shape? If so I might live with them for a while and decide down the road. You can take down the hanging uppers, but think about whether that leaves you enough storage space. You should decide if you’re remodeling the kitchen before you make flooring decisions....if you gut the kitchen you might want a bigger island. I agree with Flo on whitewashing the brick.

We have a similar house and did 4” oak floors throughout, but it really depends on your budget and needs.... we also had hanging uppers like that and we did take them down. Here’s the before and after.
    Lucrecia Choto thanked HKO HKO
  • Malcolm Russell
    6 years ago

I definitely would not white wash the brick. Paint it a deep colour, like charcoal, something very dark. This room looks terribly dated. Are you bringing in furniture? I like convex mirrors... but thats me.

Lucrecia Choto thanked Malcolm Russell
  • carladr
    6 years ago

I would have the same flooring throughout the space to give it a more spacious feel.

Lucrecia Choto thanked carladr
  • PRO
    matt&ash design Inc.
    6 years ago
    Hi I am not sure what your budget is on this but major things I would change would be all the light fixtures and floating cabinets over island to be remove and add pendants above it. I like the ceiling keep the beams and paneling too. I would remove the wall paneling on wall and put drywall with white walls. Carpet is good, I would take out leonium with a nicer one or change to tile maybe for the kitchen example. Brick it gorgeous don't change. I would remove cabinets to newer ones and countertop but if the budget is lower the paint the cabinets. Gorgeouse house overall it has so much potential!
    Lucrecia Choto thanked matt&ash design Inc.
  • Lois Huneycutt
    6 years ago

It depends on your style but I would assume you’re attracted to mid-century modern since you bought the house. I would leave that brick and gorgeous ceiling alone.

We had paneling in our basement and den when we moved in and ended up drywalling the basement for lighting reasons but kept the paneling in the den. We hated the paneling when we first moved in but I am glad we kept it; to me it is true to the style of the house, and one room isn’t overwhelming.

if you take down those cabinets are you going to be short on storage? If so I would wait until you are in a position to re-do the entire kitchen.

Lucrecia Choto thanked Lois Huneycutt
  • Lucrecia Choto
    Original Author
    6 years ago

From some of the comments above, I don't think I did a good job explaining my questions. We love the MCM aesthetic but we are not experts in what should be kept or changed in order to respect the era of the house. So, I guess that is the basis for my questions. Personally, I don't like that some of the bricks were painted black and white in some spots but also not sure how that can be changed and maintain the integrity of the era. If it helps I do not like the shabby chic style so wonder if the brick can be replaced with another stone to keep the era aesthetic or do I need to live with it?

The carpet will come up because I find carpets unhygienic. So my question is should I replace with hardwoods, if so what type or cork?

Would it make sense to replace some of the wood paneling with grasscloth for example?

Thank you again, everyone!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Wow! I don’t see MCM style in this home. It is going to take a large budget to make the kind of changes you are considering so yes, anything can be done for a price. You probably would be best served by doing only the most vital things first, move in and live with it and then develop a master plan with priorities in conjunction with your budget.
  • cawaps
    6 years ago

Whether to do hardwood would depend on what your plans are for the other wood in the house. with wood ceilings, beams, and paneling, I think wood floors would be overwhelming and would look at tile or stone. How much paneling is visible on the 4th wall of the living room that we don't see in the pictures? If you replace the paneling, wood floors could work.

I like the brick as it is. I also like the suspended cabinets in this setting (in most homes I would be on board with taking them out).

• Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    6 years ago

I am not sure you are concerned but the full address shows in one of the pics. I was able to see all of the pictures on Zillow and that it was built in 1965. Congratulations on a wonderful find with some amazing views. If you don't want us Houzzers peeking at the full listing, you might want to scrub out the address.

@Flo, I definitely see this home as mid-century. The furniture and overhead lighting from the 1980s is throwing it off.

I am wondering if they did not paint some of the bricks to make it look like reclaimed style. I think with a bit of sleuthing, it may be possible to find a way to remove the white or black paint. If the whole area had been done, that would be more difficult. I am not a fan of painting brick but in this case with the odd black and white ones, perhaps an all-over color would be another option.

I think grasscloth would look great! A site finished floor in an oak stained medium brown (similar to the beam) would a good choice.

Can you tell us your plans for the kitchen one day? Do you want the same flooring throughout or would you do a tile in that area?

• hollybar
    6 years ago

With any house of a certain age,YOU have to decide what to keep "authentic" and what you just are not willing/able to live with. You've found a great house ready to be your home,not a museum, and if those bricks bug you so much,paint them or sheath them in another material. I would likely have them sheathed because painted brick would not make me happy in the space. (which I would likely turn into a Hygge-ly Skandi-treehouse mash-up very different than the current owners space) Floorwise, cork or wood...hmmm!?!! Well,for me,I would do a wood even lighter than the ceilings. Can't say I'd remove those dropdown shelves,most likely but darn,that installation is way cool. Now,the vast amount of panelling in the space would take a visit or three to help me make up my mind on how much to remove and from which walls. Certainly not all of it. In the bedrooms,if I wanted it gone,I'd likely just paint it. I think your mentions of grasscloth and cork (whether you decide to use them or not), aka,period sympathetic natural choices, reveal that this house is in the right hands. Enjoy. And maybe post more pictures as you make it yours.

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    6 years ago

Great house! I think it depends on how true to period you wish to remain. My gut tells me to whitewash all the brick the same color as the lighter portion of the ceiling. I recommend wood flooring where you want it and carpeting in the bedrooms. I also like wood flooring in the bedrooms with rugs. As for the paneled rooms...is this real wood or is it the inexpensive type? Can't tell from photos. I have been known to pickle or whitewash paneling also. Are you keeping that kitchen or will you eventually rip it out? Wish you lived in Chicago! Good luck, I wish you much happiness in your new home!

• tatts
    6 years ago

I'd get rid of the DIY paint job on those black and white bricks to make the walls more unified. I'd try getting the paint off with a heat gun rather than solvent so that you have less chance of it staining. It could just soften and bubble right off (or you could burn it off with a propane torch.

Definitely leave the beams alone.

• Sammy
    6 years ago

This is going to be a big job—a few hundred thousand dollars worth. I suggest hiring a very talented interior designer to help you reimagine the property as a whole. Think big picture. Wallpaper vs paneling is small picture. ;)

Lucrecia Choto thanked Sammy
  • lucky998877
    6 years ago

I pulled up the listing. Those overhangs block a lot of view and light on your deck! The views are absolutely amazing....I wonder if there is a way to add skylights or glass in certain areas, or reconfigure the overhang part? This could be a super cool house, but will take a lot of money.

Lucrecia Choto thanked lucky998877
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20537-Marine-View-Dr-SW-Normandy-Park-WA-98166/48679812_zpid/

I totally see MCM here. Keep the kitchen cabinets and the beams. Look into soda or CO2 blasting the brick and the ceiling. Pull up that nasty carpet and look at polishing the concrete floor. Ditch every ugly light fixture in the place.

I'd live with the wood paneling for awhile, but my gut tells me I'd probably get rid of it eventually.

This house has incredible potential, and the views are to die for. You can sit on that deck and be in heaven when you're worn out from all the work you have to do. (I'll be right over with my crowbar and the wine.)

Lucrecia Choto thanked groveraxle
  • Julie B.
    6 years ago

That's such an iconic Seattle look, I'd concentrate first on stripping out the obvious 80s stuff, like the dining room light fixture.

Lucrecia Choto thanked Julie B.
  • mtsully
    6 years ago

To me, the painted brick is the biggest eyesore. As others have suggested, try different methods to remove the black and white paint.

The kitchen area is very busy looking with the brick, countertop and floors. I like the idea about polished concrete floors, although that may be too hard on your legs.

I would remove the hanging cabinets, they block the view into the kitchen.

Personally I don't like paneling. I'd either paint or remove it.

Lucrecia Choto thanked mtsully
  • Alexandra Nickson
    6 years ago
    Beautiful home. I personally would paint the brick a Charcoal color and do walls white along with grooved ceiling. Leave the beams. New light fixtures of course, and take the upper cabinets out. Cabs look in good condition. Keep and replace counters at some-point maybe with a white quartz. Flooring wise I’d go with a hardwood throughout to keep it uniform. Good luck. It will be gorgeous!
    Lucrecia Choto thanked Alexandra Nickson
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

buy this house.

i love the house but am having trouble seeing past the previous owners furnishings.

its funny how a house can be dated in two different ways (remember.. dated means you can tell when it was done. its not a pejorative unless you dont like how it looks!), the datedness of the house itself has come roaring back into style. the furnishings, not so much.

i would not do a thing before move in. place your items, live in the space, edit and replace. would love you to come back with new photos in the future.

Lucrecia Choto thanked Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Good luck on purchasing this home. Those views are staggering. Who cares about inside? Lol. Lighting and carpet removal would top my list. Best of luck on your negotiation. Keep us posted!
    Lucrecia Choto thanked Flo Mangan
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Just a couple thoughts....I think whitewashing anything is a travesty in this home...second...the two flooring options that would seem best to me would be concrete or terrazzo...this would allow you to keep all the other wood paneling...which seems lovely in its natural state and color...and would benefit from the contrasting material flooring ....as to the ceiling I would explore sandblasting or sanding ...to bring the ceiling and beams to natural wood...if possible...after attacking the surfaces and out of sync finishes....it will be more apparent whether to keep the other impractical but stylized features like the cabinets over the stove.......
    Lucrecia Choto thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    @ritasj. Good thoughts. I will mention, as to the brick, the owners actually painted the white and black bricks in that we see. So, if nothing else, I would try to restore natural brick if desired. The black ones are the blocks I dislike most. I would definitely explore staining concrete if that is material below carpeting.
    Lucrecia Choto thanked Flo Mangan
  • Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    6 years ago

Lucrecia, do you think there is concrete under the carpet? That would be an interesting and budget-friendly choice. I think you have received a lot of good advice. Can you please post pictures along the way?

Lucrecia Choto thanked Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

FTR, polished concrete would be totally appropriate here, and gorgeous, but it is NOT a budget friendly choice.

Lucrecia Choto thanked groveraxle
  • Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    6 years ago

@Grover, how much does it cost to polish concrete? Can it be done DIY? I would love a loft one day and this is what I want. I assumed it was a good budget option.

Lucrecia Choto thanked Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
  • Twosit4me
    6 years ago
    wow, this home is really neat. I guess I don't know what mcm is because I definitely see mid century but I don't see modern at all. good luck and I'll be following to see your progress.
    Lucrecia Choto thanked Twosit4me
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Aurora...there are many levels of finished concrete floors....and many finishes that will work...not all of them are high end...and tho’“polished” is probably the most expensive ...latest.... coolest finish we are seeing....don’t give up on the idea .....there are other options
    Lucrecia Choto thanked btydrvn
  • Julie B.
    6 years ago

Twosit4me, the design movement is referred to as “mid-century modern.” It was seen as modern at the time.

Lucrecia Choto thanked Julie B.
  • Snaggy
    6 years ago

Looked up the listing ..I have balcony envy !

Lucrecia Choto thanked Snaggy
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    6 years ago

What a gem! I think the bricks are an original feature and would not paint them. I don't think they are painted - it is a finish integral to the brick. They may be hand fired or made with a glaze. For the flooring what about terrazzo? Gorgous and easy to take care of and mid century mod appropriate. The ceilings look like they have been pickeled in the 80s. They probably started out like this. I would definitely change out the light fixtures.

Lucrecia Choto thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • Lucrecia Choto
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So we didn't get the house. But will keep looking for one. Thank you, everyone, for all of your advice!

• Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    6 years ago

I am sorry to hear that. Been there as well.