SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanne_kelley

Living room flooring dilemma - need help!

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The previous owners of our house put hardwood flooring everywhere on the main floor, except the living room. Not sure why!? For whatever reason, this room has carpet. The living room is the back corner of the house. From the living room, it looks into our kitchen in one direction, and to the front door in the other direction. The hardwood floors in those areas, run in two different directions. We were thinking of having hardwoods put in the living room (I hate this carpet), however with the floors running in two directions, we're not sure if it would be the best choice since one direction will obviously have to be opposite of which way we run the boards.

My other dilemma with this room is the fireplace marble, which I also hate. I would love to eventually replace it, but for now, whatever we put down at least has to not clash with the new flooring.

What would look best? More carpet? If so what color do you recommend? Hardwoods? What direction?

I should note that we do want to have the floors refinished, so if we put new hardwoods in the living room to replace the ugly carpet, I don't know if that should be done before or after the refinishing.

Looking into kitchen

Looking at front door

Comments (5)