SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_schuler

Indecisive me needs help with a big decision

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We're about to change the decking material on our 1400 sq. ft. deck and I'm having a really hard time making a decision. That's likely because this is so crazy expensive because of the sheer size of the deck and Seattle's building craze.

This deck was the main reason we bought the house. It'll be a HUGE selling feature when we eventually sell, so we need to get it right. We've decided on installing long-lasting porcelain pavers that can mimic stone or wood.

Last week, we had to switch from Manufacturer A to Manufacturer B. A had a bluestone type paver we really liked, but B doesn't. So, we have to pick something else. We've narrowed it down to 2, the gold quartzite type paver (top right in the photo below) or the rustic gray wood type paver (middle bottom).

My questions:

1) The deck runs alongside our kitchen, living room and master bedroom, which all have natural white oak floors. Will it look funny to have a wood looking tile in a different color and texture right up next to real wood floors?

2) Our house has a modern Nantucket/beach feel, with soft grays & aquas and a lot of white. The only warm color is in our floors. The gold quartzite is the same color & tone as our floors, and does seem to have a bit of gray in it, but it's so warm. Does it go?

3) I really like the gray rustic wood paver, but am wondering wood looking tiles are this decades Harvest Gold appliances. This deck is like a roof - it needs to last a LONG time. Do you think wood looking tiles will stand the test of time?

4) If we do go with wood looking tiles, is it ok that they're different from the wood floors inside the house?

Sorry for all of the questions but this whole thing is stressing me out and making me extra-indecisive, so I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

The photos show the deck from the kitchen plus one of the tiles.

Comments (21)