SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenmast4800

No More Ivy. Now house looks blah

jenmast4800
5 years ago

We took all the ivy off of the front of our house, because the ivy is obnoxious and tears stuff up. We feel like the house was probably designed to have ivy on the front as there is really no architectural appeal without the ivy. Can anyone provide ideas of what we can do to make the front of our house more visually appealing? In my opinion, it's just blah.

Comments (72)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

i think it's a beautiful home, just needs some oomph in the front. I mentioned a veneer of some sort on the chimneys. I was trying to find some w/a similar look.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

We've used creeping fig in the past where it worked well, such as covering an ugly cinder block wall. We had to really keep on top of the trimming to confine it to the wall. I agree with gardengal...it is crazy invasive and can be destructive.

• Related Discussions

My house looks so Blah now that the Christmas decor is put away!

Q

Comments (22)
    I too love the look of my "bare" house after the Christmas decorations are put away. I start out decorating after Thanksgiving and am all too ready to start putting things away after Christmas. I start putting away a few days after Christmas, but I always leave the tree up until after New Years. I really go all out so it's usually and week's work to get everything put away. I'm fortunate that I teach school and have the time off, so I just do it at a snail's pace. I do like to everything put away before heading back to work after the new year. We put up a tree in the LR that has all vintage ornaments (over 1000), it's actually my DH's baby. He collected most of the ornaments. He takes that down, and he does it real slow. That tree has been up as long as the beginning of Feb. LOL.
    ...See More

Blah, Blah, Blah: A Novel

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for the info ci. I expect you know that the royal family of the Netherlands also escaped to England for a time before settling in Ottawa. When they returned home they gave a gift of millions of tulip bulbs to the Canadian people of that city as a 'Thank you'. And during WW1 the Belgium royal family lived in London . . . and their daughter Princess Marie José became a pupil at the school I much later attended (as the nuns never failed to remind us) she went on to an 'arranged marriage' with Umberto of Italy and was queen for a few weeks before the Italians kicked him out. The Norwegian people still donate a huge Christmas tree each year which stands in London's Trafalgar Square in thanks for their time in England. I don't know of any book on the subject; it would be worth looking in to. Belgium Royals
    ...See More

Blah, blah and more blah

Q

Comments (20)
    The black accent wall is amazing, but also very important are the touches of yellow to make this room wake up. In the pictures without the black and yellow it all looks lifeless. If you were to move the couches further apart a rectangular glass and metal coffee table probably would fit in nicely, and the shine of the glass would take away some of the heaviness of the couches.
    ...See More

Couch looked grey in store now brown at home!!!

Q

Comments (13)
    The couch looks gray to me. What you're seeing is that the couch is a warmer gray than the cool gray walls. "Gray" is not an absolute and can lean cooler (more blue) or warmer (more brown). I do think a new rug will help. You might also consider repainting the walls something slightly less cool and/or changing the curtains. But I actually don't think it looks bad. If it were me, I'd start with a new rug and see how looks before making additional changes.
    ...See More
  • RaiKai
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Some of the harsh comments, sheesh. Sometimes there is an awful lot of pretentiousness here - most of the world does not live in design magazine worthy housing - me included - but that does not mean it can’t be a comfortable home to someone, or that insults are okay.

OP: I imagine you have many windows elsewhere but you are likely right and the house was “made” for the vines as the facade does look a bit empty without it! I would consider the suggestions of a pretty trellis. Beth H’s suggestion to add veneer to the chimneys would also help “break things up” a bit!

• njmomma
    5 years ago

Not a Pro.

I find the outside so interesting.

I would love to see the inside.

I also think stone on the chimney would look great, but not faux stone. Or large trellises with no ivy would still add dimension.

Maybe adding to your landscaping some flowering trees.

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

I personally don't see what is "ridiculous" about this house. I would put stone (or faux stone) on the two chimneys in front playing into the grey color of the roof. And then I would let some kind of vine grow over that, I understand the issues that can come from it, but this house needs it, it's not an option. This house is gorgeous, it just needs a bit more.

• Liz Lemon
    5 years ago
    Patricia Colwell I don’t think I’ve ever seen you make a comment that was anything but abrasive/ condescending/ all around unhelpful. In a sea of pettiness you always stand out (insert eye roll emoji here). Honestly I’ve never called anyone out but you’re just too much.
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

I think it is a very pretty and unusual house. I agree with cpaul. If you could somehow face the chimneys with stone and grow for example Boston Ivy that has suckers instead of growing inside the structure like English Ivy. I think this would be beautiful.

• jenmast4800
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is a pic of what it looked like with ivy and before we changed out landscaping. The old landscaping was overgrown. We are confident the landscaping we replaced it with will come into its own, but likely take a few years.

The house has a ton of windows on the sides and back, where there is a pool and very nice outdoor living area. The front is our least favorite part but the house does have some great features and design to it (albeit not the front). I like the idea of a large custom trellis on the big chimney (right side) possibly with a climbing hydrangea on it.

The left chimney we can possibly stomach using Boston Ivy again. We are also going to plant more taylor junipers on the left and right side of the f door. We have been talking about a tree on the left side in the lawn but are unsure of what to get and there is pending construction nearby so have wanted that to finalize before planting as it could have a direct impact on the planting area.

I do like the idea of lime washing but have never heard of it. What is the process for this?

• jenmast4800
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We're not crazy about the mailbox color either but do believe it has to stay the way it is per the HOA.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

jen, that house is beautiful w/that climbing foliage. I realize it's prob a pain to keep under control and keep things clean,,but what a stunning look it gives to the exterior. Where is this home located? (general area)

• jenmast4800
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth - House is located in Tulsa OK.

• Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    5 years ago

I would love to see more of your back yard. I bet it’s beautiful!

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

What a beautiful house. As Beth mentioned keeping Ivy under control is a pain, our last house had Boston ivy but it is so worth it IMO. Really beautiful.

• olsenla
    5 years ago
    I think your house is beautiful!
  • lovemrmewey
    5 years ago

I love it and find that it looks Mysterious!

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    I would let the ivy grow back but remove the bushes and replace those tall narrow trees with something more rounded and softer!
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Your house is beautiful!

Did all that ivy invite mice? Squirrels all the time?

Why not invite DigDoug into this thread.

He is a marvelous landscaper and can give you some wonderful suggestions.

• User
    5 years ago

What a lovely, stately home. I’m another who wants a tour of the rest. :)

I love your purple flowers and how you have a large landing in the mailbox area. Great design. I wish your HOA would reconsider letting you paint the mailbox — black or the color of your house would look so nice.

I did vines again, with River Birch trees, and a clematis on the wall (I’m sure you’ve researched trees for your area, there are so many good ones of various sizes you could use ... Oaks, Maples, Lacebark Elm, Bald Cypress, Okla Redbud, tree size Crape Myrtle, Yaupon Holly, etc) —

I like the stone plaque idea Beverly showed. If you did that with columnar evergreens under:

I don’t know if you like the idea of a gate or if it’s even feasible, but this reminded me of your house:

There’s really not a lot I’d change, as it’s a very elegant yard as is. Nice dimensions and shapes of beds, hardscape, and grass. Just needs a few things for height and minimal softening up the grand and strong lines of the house.

• User
    5 years ago
    I think your house is gorgeous. Some here might be a little jealous perhaps. Anyhoo, some trees in front would help a lot. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I really don’t find this house charming and I too would love to see the rest of it to get some perspective. The chimneys are so in your face that I am not sure cladding them will help that The pic with all the growth is what it was meant to be so now IMO it needs windows and I am sorry if that offends anyone but whoever designed the house had that old facade in mind and now it looks bad.I am not sure what can be done to make it better without adding back the greenery. Ivy has been growing on buildings in Europe for eons without major problems , we have a court house with ivy on the walls that has been there for 50 yrs. This house was obviously designed with the ivy in mind . I am not jealous but I try to be honest when asked a question, My answer is add some windows.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

"Some here might be a little jealous perhaps."

Nope. Happy that this person has a safe home. Happy to provide an opinion on how to make the home even more amazing.

I love storybook and castle-like and magical homes. This could be that. But I also want my house to feel open and inviting, so the small windows are a bit unsettling because I can see myself living here and I would feel closed off from the outside world. When I inevitably imagine myself inside, I feel claustrophobia. So I would add and enlarge windows.

Obviously my feelings aren't even a consideration here but if OP wants ideas on how to make it look better or is wondering why it looks "off" now, the answer is lack of texture (veneer on the chimneys) and lack of windows. Imo.

When I'm jealous, as I occasionally am on this site, it looks like this "I am so jealous of xyz. That's beautiful."

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

The ivy we had on our last house, we would have someone come twice a year to trim and keep it from growing up toward the roof. We had the line well below roof line. It does no damage to the walls but didn’t want it growing in the roof under the roof tiles. We never had any problems at all with mice or squirrels in it!

Your photo above of your house with the ivy I would say just needed a haircut to keep it in check, imo. If it was Boston Ivy that is.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

jen, thanks for posting the before pic. Wow...that was a lot of ivy! I think having at least some would be nice. Great house!

• suezbell
    5 years ago

If the inside of your home is everything you want it to be, ignore the "curb appeal" critics.

Planting an evergreen that thrives where you live and grows tall and narrow in front of each chimney is worth considering.

I confess I'm prejudiced in favor of front porches and adding one would certainly change the style of your home.

You might consider creating a "T" shaped balcony in the center over your entry to cover a newly created flat roofed porch below. You could have the new front porch extend beyond the front exterior wall of both wings of the house by a 4' walkway depth each and stop at the fireplace on each side or

you could add an "L" shaped porch/balcony that wraps around just the left front wing, perhaps with a 6' depth.

Like the pink_peony idea of adding the first letter of your family's last name to the larger chimney; alternately, you might talk with a metal worker about creating your own family "coat of arms" or some other art to hang there to reflect your family's personal interests.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=627&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=BG7wWqjYE4iRggf3iLGQDg&q=images+exterior+metal+art+sun+tree+music+beach&oq=images+exterior+metal+art+sun+tree+music+beach&gs_l=img.3...10921.11588.0.11803.6.6.0.0.0.0.66.358.6.6.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0....0.8TFPHCj76kQ

You could face one or both chimneys with brick or faux stone.

• User
    5 years ago
    Yes, lindsey, jealous is still the word that comes to mind for some commenters. Calling this house a “windowless McMansion” and “ridiculous” is just really funny to me because it’s obviously a pretty house and the OP noted that most of the windows are not at the front of the house and that there’s a big pool area in back, if I read correctly. It may have been a misstep to cut down all the ivy, who knows, but give me a break. Lots of people are saying to add a bunch of windows to the front- any idea the cost of a project like that or where the windows would go? At least if you’re going to harshly criticize someone’s house- be specific and realistic if you’re truly offering advice. Just my opinion.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

"the OP noted that most of the windows are not at the front of the house and that there’s a big pool area in back, if I read correctly."

That was noted much later, far down the thread. The original post gave no indication of it.

This was the original question, with no information regarding budget or scope of work possible:

"Can anyone provide ideas of what we can do to make the front of our house more visually appealing? In my opinion, it's just blah."

And for me the answer to that is, more and/or bigger windows.

The commenters who replied with edge consistently reply with edge to every single post. It's not personal against the poster or probably even a reflection of the feelings of the commenters. That's their writing voice, for better or worse.

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

Shutters similar to those on the lower windows set into the upper gables would be a help.

I see lots of windowless facade houses in the Dallas, Houston area real estate, as well as the southwest. There are older "French" or "Norman" inspired houses (1920s-30s) houses here that present a lot of blankness to the street. As do many houses in southern Europe.

I would not be upset by the negative comments. The American way to build now is a fancy facade (to the point of being overwrought) to impress strangers and the back yard where everyone spends time looks as blank as a the back of a shopping plaza. Your architect didn't follow the rules.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    5 years ago

some ideas:

• C Masty
    5 years ago

(ops Husband): Here are a couple pics of the interior. The first is standing in front of the big fireplace (right side of home front, looking back). The other is the rear pool area. The house has 7 sets of french doors that you cant see from the main front pic posted on original post. It has plenty of light inside.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. As much as we dont like the idea, we are leaning towards going back with some level of ivy/vines and managing it more than previous homeowners did.

• User
    5 years ago

Thank you for more pictures! Beautiful. :)

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

Framing and softening with larger shrubs (than you have now) and trees is the way to enhance it without having plants growing directly on it.

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

The interior is just as beautiful as i knew it would be. The ceiling and beams....to die for. Such a beautiful space.

• Sammy
    5 years ago

Beautiful home! Actually, there are quite a few immaculately landscaped homes similar in style to yours in my neighborhood. I might just take a few pics while I’m out later on and post ‘em here.

P.S. Please don’t add any stone to the façade. ;)

• K Laurence
    5 years ago

Very nice, I love your beautiful yard! I think the anonymity of the internet is partly responsible for the incredibly rude & insulting comments I see on here ... rather than trying to be helpful, some find it necessary to denigrate... sad.

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

@C Masty and hubby: you have a beautiful pool and backyard space. I also really like your high ceilings and beams :)

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    5 years ago

Please do some research on old homes in France and Belgium. Also look up famous architects from the 20th century: McKim, Mead & White, David Adler, Cliff May etc. Your home needs character, you can learn a lot by looking at the past. Landscaping will help, olive trees, bougainvillea. Good luck to you.

• Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    5 years ago

OMG. So jealous. I would love to live in a home like yours!!

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    5 years ago

I very much like the overall look/feel of the house and its setting. The interior is certainly very nice too. But someone said earlier the chimneys are just too big and 'in your face.' I think that is an objectively valid criticism.

If it was my house - and I had the budget - I'd demolish both chimneys entirely and install decent-sized windows both above and below on those walls.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

"demolish both chimneys" ?? huh? what, and turn it into a house that looks like every other generic one ? Or in this case, it would look neutered. What if she actually uses the fireplace?

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

I like the house and hope you will not add stone or anything else to make it look more like a tract house. It is meant to be unique.

I like it even better in the picture of how it used to look with the vine. I hope you can try again and do as a poster above said with getting it maintained a few times a year.

My only critique is that adding more Taylor Junipers is a very hackneyed design style and will outgrow the space. I think you can do better than that.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

without review the entire thread, I don't know if it was ever stated the kind of ivy that was formerly on the house. I can't imagine English ivy would be compatible, but I can imagine Boston ivy (still rambunctious!) could be managed. I would not hesitate to use something like Round-up as a method of quick and easy edging. If one has a good back pack sprayer with a fan tip, it can be quite accurately sprayed. When I don't have time, I "edge" a lot of groundcover this way. It would not work well to let it get out of control and then step in and do a "save." It would be much better to do regular frequent maintenance.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

OP said it was Boston Ivy.

• loobab
    5 years ago
    DigDoug had great suggestions!
  • chiflipper
    5 years ago

JMO...the ivy was magnificent...out of control...but magnificent.

• Kerry Blossom
    5 years ago
    I like the simplicity of the front. I think some iron work would keep it subtle and beautiful... what a sweet spot!!
  • Embothrium
    5 years ago

If this is an HOA neighborhood I'd think the Association would have something to say about use of the property - such as how much and what could be done to the house and lot. We've certainly already been told they are regulating the presentation of the mailbox.

• K Laurence
    5 years ago

I too like the simplicity, I absolutely hate ivy or creeping fig or anything else of that sort growing on the wall of a house for a variety of reasons. On a wall or fence ok, but not on a house. I like the iron trellis idea, executed in a simple pattern. Don’t turn your house into into a cookie cutter tract looking house, embrace it’s unique qualities. Ignore the negative comments. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if all of us had just a bit of the impeccable taste that some on here think they have? Lol....

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    5 years ago

Hi Jen,

I honestly do not mind the way it looks right now too much.

For me? I'd remove that crooked thing on the left and add amazing landscaping lights aimed at the house, maybe cone shaped.

And turn the balcony above the porch to a juliette with french doors.

Rework the portico, new front door with a window.

• aegis1000
    5 years ago

The house facade was "stunning" with the ivy and previous landscaping, though I can see that the maintenance would be incredibly challenging.

Colorizing the chimneys with brick or stone would be a step back in the right direction.

Perhaps something like Dig Doug's last suggested graphic ...

• aegis1000
    5 years ago

"The pic with all the growth is what it was meant to be ... "

True ...