SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoria_pont

Need help with my mantle/fire place!!!!

Adelaine
6 years ago
I tried my best to make this fireplace look better but now I just don’t know what to do. It looks sad and boring. Any suggestions on the mantle? what prints should I put? Or should I put something else (round mirror) and rearrange everything? I’m thinking getting a nice decorative basket for blankets to be put next to the stove and maybe the other side plant? Any ideas, suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (48)

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

The mantle seems too high, can it be lowered or are those bricks supporting it? For starters, I would remove at least one of the candle sets, too matchy matchy, & also the small items atop the mantle.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I believe a colorful art print that appeals to you and hung horizontally would look nice. Totally agree with K Laurence.

• Related Discussions

Converting wood fire place to gas fire place

Q

Comments (2)
    Just one. WHY! Gas logs are boring( same fire appearance constantly), lacks aroma, sound, coziness, exercise, and something rewarding to do and accomplish. Not to mention the great lawn fertilizer and composting you get from the ashes if you have a green thumb. Don't do it! People though want to retire from the aformention so in all fairness I understand the desire to switch. If you do, just make sure you're happy with the logset! Mendota is from what I've seen top of the line. You'll need to hire a plumber and apply for a permit. Could always go back to wood down the road and sell the logset on ebay and it'll go! Good luck!
    ...See More

Fire place mantle

Q

Comments (2)
    Problem is the gray tile extend past the mantle so only solution I can think of is to buy a couple of flat metal strips like you join 2 boards together with that have 4 holes in them & get some screws to match the holes & screw each of the plates near the top of the mantle(on the back of it) so that 1/2 of the metal is sticking up & you can screw that into the wall above the mantle about where the mantle has the decorative scroll things you have on the wall, then you will need to paint over them so they hardly show & put something on mantle in front of plates so you don't even know they are there when looking at it. That would keep the mantle from tipping over. To help solve the 2nd problem of the gray tile showing on both sides of mantle you could get containers with tall grasses(fake or dried) or tree like spiral things with them both identical & tall it would hardly be noticed as your eye would go to the decoration. Perhaps a couple of sea shells for ends of mantle to match the starfish in pic. or a couple of unusual small rocks would work. Some bottles are very tall & skinny & with grasses in them or those things that curl on ends no one would know anything was amiss. If that wouldn't work for you, you have a small space above the gray tile that you could put some kind of hook & drape something over it to hang down & cover the tile. It does look like that heater is vented to outside otherwise it would be very dangerous. I think that is pipe going into gray tile in center & on outside I hope.
    ...See More

Help Needed with the Fire place finish !

Q

Comments (1)
    pics below
    ...See More

need help decorating my mantle

Q

Comments (3)
    What new home dear? A new look to WHAT fireplace? There needs to be a photo as we are short on crystal balls and mind readers.: )
    ...See More
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

Agree with K Laurence. Really all you need on the mantel are the 3 frames.

To me, the mantel and firebox cover look dark/harsh against the brick, especially the firebox. Could just be how they appear on my screen.

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, those 3 bricks are supporting the mantle.
  • Adelaine
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here, I changed it a bit.
  • Adelaine
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Maybe I’ll paint the mantle to match the bricks? Hehehe We’re thinking of remodeling it in the long run, but I just want it to look nice before then. We are replacing our windows and currently planning on renovating our kitchen so we have to stretch our projects and spending.
  • Paul Rosas
    6 years ago
    have you considered painting the brick or covering it with Stone or a marble?
  • K Laurence
    6 years ago

Looks much better. The brick looks pinkish? Is it? I would consider painting it a creamy white or some other color complimentary to the rest of your room ....

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @paul covering it with stone sounds like a professional job. Yes, I painted that awhile back, I know, wrong color. But we are thinking remodeling it in the future.
  • Adelaine
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @k yes it looks blush now. It was different before and when it cured, became a blush. Lol. Oh, well I’ll paint it again with cream then. Actually the wall is kind of yellow when the room is dark but when the sun is really out and shines indoor, it looks white. I think I’ll consider building a box that will slide in the bricks.
  • Adelaine
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    There you go, took them out.
  • Gwen
    6 years ago
    Plus your frames are currently empty, so I wouldn't decide on too boring until they were filled.
  • Paul Rosas
    6 years ago
    I like It, simple and clean. less dust to bother with and just need a black and white pictures inside the frames. perhaps your happy place.
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

Are those frames 3 mirrors that are reflecting the ceiling wash lights? One large piece of art with some color in it would be much better.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

That looks much better with just the 3 frames. I agree with Gwen...finding art work for them will make a big difference.

• Gwen
    6 years ago

Victoria you also have a substantial hearth. A decorative bucket of some sort, or a large lantern or vase or sculpture wouldn't be amiss down there. Something with height.

• Gwen
    6 years ago

Here's a link to a simple box construction: Easy DIY Floating Shelf. Obviously, you wouldn't need to build the cleat, just the box, making sure the sides are high enough to slide over existing brick supports. Here's another example: Making a Slip Covered Mantel.

I suppose this works best with the rustic, barn wood style look and I don't know if you like that. A fancier version could be made of course, with layered molding and crown. But I personally like the idea of a thick wooden mantel up there. Goes well with the woodburning stove.

• deegw
    6 years ago

For the summer months can you put a decorative screen in front of the stove? The black space is really grabbing all the attention on that wall.

• karielen
    6 years ago

I would remove the mantel entirely and just have art work above the brick supports.

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @gwen thank you for the links.
  • Gwen
    5 years ago

Nothing wrong with symmetry if you like it. Don't let personal opinions sway you from what you think is pretty.

Since you mentioned painting the brick, here's a photo with fireplace painted creamy white (same color as walls, notice) and thicker wooden mantel like I would suggest (natural wood to balance the black - adds warmth). Mantel also pretty high like yours currently is. Also there is symmetry and rather small items up there on display. So if it appeals to you, go for it!

Chastain Park · More Info

• Gwen
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here's an example of some stuff that could be on your hearth. I'm sure yours is a working stove insert and gets quite hot, so keep that in mind. :)

• Gwen
    5 years ago

This one combines symmetry, with the candlesticks balanced around the centered artwork, with unmatched items. I love the glass vase - large item to fill the space but light and airy.

• Gwen
    5 years ago

I have no idea of your style so I'm just throwing stuff out here. Again with this I like the glass and again you see symmetry with this. Also note the decorated hearth and again be cautious of flammability if yours is a working/used fireplace.

• Gwen
    5 years ago

And with yours being a more horizontal space to fill, I like layered frames going across the space. Less boring then all lined up. Don't know what the black thing is on the left; the way the frames overlap is what I want to show here.

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @gwen love all the samples, Gwen. Thank you. Our house has a lot of dark brown furnitures, gold cream/white and blacks accents. But this fire place is my big issue. Okay, so I’ll paint the bricks and make a box that can be slide over the supports. Be back once done . Thanks everyone for all the ideas and suggestions.
  • Gwen
    5 years ago

Victoria, you are ambitious! You may not be able to lower the mantel that much after all. I was thinking about fire codes. I can find charts about how high above the firebox it has to be (it relates to how deep the mantel is) but I can't find yet if the rules are the same for a woodburning stove like yours. I will keep looking.

• Gwen
    5 years ago

Everything just says that the clearance for combustibles above the stove will be in the manual. If you happen to have it, or can look on the stove and find the make and model, I may be able to help you find the information. Otherwise I'd just keep it where it is and focus on the color and styling. :)

• Susan Davis
    5 years ago

Design · More Info
    Envision an art print the size of the TV shown above.

I think since you want to change it down the line, then paint the whole wall white, white, white, and hang a print that will fill the whole wall width to balance out the black hole looking firebox.

Spring Island Plantation 2 · More Info

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Gwen lol, that’s what my husband said. I do have a lot of little projects this year and it’s overwhelming with a toddler and a 7 mos old. But I’d like to get them done no matter what. ;) Anyway, the pellet stove doesn’t get warm on the top but the glass on the front only. My husband is not worried about lowering the mantle or fire in general. Oh, thanks for making sure I’m doing the right thing. I guess I’ll just paint it first then put everything again and will see how it will look like. With the prints, someone was suggesting a black in white or should I go with more color? I’m not good at picking prints or art at all. I’m having a hard time. My dining room has 8 frames that are empty because of that reason. Hahaha Anyway, sorry for writing a book. Have a lovely weekend everyone!
  • Gwen
    5 years ago

Oh I'm glad to hear that Victoria. My goodness, I miss that age with the little ones but they do keep you busy. I was just looking at some pictures today of my youngest when he was a baby. He's seven now.

You say your colors everywhere are cream, brown, black. If that's what you're drawn to, there's nothing wrong with a neutral home; soooo many pics here on houzz of designer homes done up in all neutrals. But many people don't get anything in a color because they don't want to commit. It's true that styles change, preferences change, and you may get tired of things, and then you're looking at expenses to freshen things up. If you're the type, like me, that can't commit but doesn't want a neutral home, the best thing to do is a neutral base (walls, furnishings, tiles, cabinets), and use your "soft things" for pops of color. The soft things are area rugs, curtains, and pillows.

Not sure which color for your pops of color? Here's two ways I know designers help you decide:

1. Find a piece of artwork you love and work around it.

2. Look in your closet! What color do you mostly see?

For prints that fit a standard frame (definitely the most cost effective way to go) I like Etsy. There's an option to search locally if you want, which I think is pretty cool. I just bought three watercolor paintings of some of the bridges here in town from a local artist that I'm excited about. But you don't have to search locally. You can do any search term you like and you'll find an artist that has done a photograph, a painting, a computer generated design... It's amazing! I've searched for specific things like cacti (for my son), favorite quotes I like, and Mount St. Helens (local to me) and never been disappointed. And many of them you can purchase as a digital download for just a few bucks and print it at home if you have a nice color printer, or send to a print shop if it's a larger size. I get can get 16"x20" prints at Costco for ten bucks.

Good luck! I've noticed the community on here loves to help people shop for art, so you can always post your choices on here if you're having a hard time deciding. :)

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi guys, I’m back. I’m working on building the insert box now and painted the break already. I tried to get the closest color to the wall but now after painting it, it looks like lighter. Well whatever. Anyway, just want to update. It took awhile since I had to do everything my own and with a baby and a toddler? It’s a lot. But I’m enjoying it. Thanks everyone! I’ll probably finish the box tomorrow and be right back!
  • natesg
    5 years ago

Wow. Nice transformation. That’s a lot to do with kidlets. Look forward to more updates.

• Gwen
    5 years ago
    I'm happy to see you back! So many people post on here for advice and then disappear.
  • Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So I finished the insert. Should I paint it black or just stain in a light color?
  • deegw
    5 years ago

Lots of great progress! Here are two pics. I The first is medium stain like your floors. I think I like the black better with your inset. I would consider adding some trim to the mantle. The trim on the black mantle pic is a little clunky but I like how it softens the blockiness. (is that a word?)

• Gwen
    5 years ago

I'm just so impressed with how much you've worked on this. How are you feeling about the changes? It's fun to see someone actually come back on with updates - usually people just disappear!

I like the natural wood mantels to add warmth to a space. I also do love the black in the mockup d_gw did (although that one is definitely more rustic than what yours would look like) and I see I also posted a black mantel above! So I guess it could go either way? Corbels are definitely cool if you can afford them. I see plenty without, and could always be added later.

You did already have a black mantel to begin with, so I personally would stain it first just to try a different look, and if I just didn't like it I could always paint it. Use Minwax pre-conditioner and shoot for a color that matches your floors but doesn't go orange or red, I'd try Minwax Provincial.

Just for fun, showing you side-by-side progress so far:

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @d_gw wow, I really like both black, and matching the mantle color to my floors. The floor is actually Minwax especial walnut. I could stain the mantle first then if I don’t like it, I could easily just paint it black like what Gwen said. Gwen, I really like the outcome of this project. I was thinking adding corbels too, but your right they are pricey ($40-$60). Also, I like the idea of adding some trim. What trim should I use? I know they come in different design etc. I’m excited to finish this project so we can pick a nice art to go on the brick wall. Thanks guys.
  • Gwen
    5 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean about adding trim so you'd have to show me some examples. Am so glad you're enjoying the project so far.

If you want help picking art you'll probably have to be brave and post more pictures of your space so people can help you find something. :)

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @gwen the living room and the dining room are also being fixed. I don’t know how to say it. I’m asking people here on how to decorate my dining room too (see picture) I’m looking for a nice chandelier that will go well in the room with that china cab I have; and a rug. Everyone is saying to replace the frames by one art on each side of the cab. Tried it with one (see pic) just to see how it would look like. I wished I know how to mock up. I want to pick one or two colors to harmonize the things I’ll get. Like the color of the rug, accessories and arts but I can’t decide. What color should I choose to go well with black cab? IAlso I think I don’t like the black rod so I’m waiting for the cream one to come and try it on if it would look better with the scones on each side of the window.
  • Gwen
    5 years ago

I did happen across your other dining room thread. Sounds like you just kinda want to get it all done! If you just post examples of art you find that you wonder if you might like, some generous folks on here will usually pop them in your picture for you. You can make it simpler for them, and more accurate, by marking out the dimensions of the art on the wall with tape and uploading a picture of that. I can do artwork on a blank wall, but can't really do much else with mockups.

Regarding your new mantel box above, are you willing to soften the edges a bit with some sanding before you stain? I think it would really help with the blockiness d_gw was mentioning. See examples above or look at this one below:

Jesse Hollow Home · More Info

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @ Gwen, yes I am going to sand the whole mantle. I’m considering adding corbels but I’m a little worried that the bottom wood might not support the weight of the corbels. Anyway, I have this art that I’ve been eyeing here
    Concurrent Framed Oil Painting, 49.75"x38" · More Info
    What do you think? Too light? Should we find something a little darker to balance the stove? I like abstract paintings but my husband preferred scenery or pictures...
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

I think you are amazing getting all that work done with two children. I tend to lean towards your husbands art preference as beautiful landscape or seascape can be so calming and your children would enjoy and remember it always. Hayneedle.com has some very good ones.

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

Something like this might work as you like the neutrals. ART WORK

• Gwen
    5 years ago

So I'm not that great at estimating dimensions, but if I had to guess I would have thought you only have about 30" from mantel to ceiling? If that's true, the artwork you linked to above won't fit at 38" tall. Can you tell me actual width of mantel and vertical space you have from mantel to ceiling please?

Now keep in mind that art is personal. We can mock things up, but it's really up to you to decide what makes you happy when you see it up there. We all have different opinions of what looks nice. I wouldn't worry about light vs. dark to balance the stove.

Also, corbels may be decorative only in some situations, but they are technically designed to serve as supports for structures above them. So they would not be installed under the mantel with the appearance of being attached to the brick, they would be installed on the brick with the appearance of supporting your mantel.

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi guys, so it took awhile because we were away but here’s the stained mantle. The space between the mantle to ceiling is 34” and 7’ wide. And on the left, we are replacing that dark buffet table but I want a light/cream long furniture; like a bench but not open to hide our WiFi equipment etc. Wall measures 75”x95”. So, what do you think that idea? I thought a light furniture would make it look open. Please, suggest for furnitures on that corner and wall ideas for mantle and space on the left wall. Thanks everyone.
  • Gwen
    5 years ago

I think Julie with Home Interiors With Ease has a board of buffets/credenza's. Wonder how to invite someone to a discussion? Oh, I found her ideabook.