SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swamp_rose

uh oh - something is wrong - container roses languishing - help!

swamp_rose
6 years ago

Dear Rose forum members,

I had wanted to share beautiful pictures of our roses, and have so much enjoyed everyone's posts all winter and early spring. However somethings wrong - I think - with a few of my container roses on our terrace. I'm in Brooklyn NY, between zone 6 and 7.

Last summer Souv. de Malmaison did extremely well in her pot, on the terrace where she gots lots of sun. Ditto Rose de Rescht. I had Crepuscule, but she bit the the dust. That's ok, I knew I was pushing the zone. I have a Cardinal de Richelieu which is doing really well up there, but I have him in a slightly more shaded location. For comparison purposes, in our shady side yard, Bourbon Queen is in the ground and doing so well (see picture below) , as is Souven Dr, Jamain (not pictured) . Lots of growth and dozens of buds. all the container roses have more or less the same potting mix which Christopher uses for his potted roses: a mix of bark fines, peat moss, well rotted manure, perlite and vermiculite. I noticed SDM and RdR seem to have a lot of little rootlets along to top of the soil. Could they already be root bound? This is only their third season. I really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this situation - it looks like I may loose SDM ... THANK YOU!!!

Bourbon queen - in ground and doing so well. She will be breathtaking.

Cardinal de Richelieu - on the terrace and doing very well. Get's morning sun only. Virtually no cane die back. Same potting mix as other roses.

Souvenir de Malmaison - last year did so well. Is leafing out, but leaf clusters at the top of image are limp. Some cane die back.

Rose de rescht - also slow to leaf out, but the leaf clusters

are bouncy and resilient to the touch. Each day more leaf buds emerge. Cane die back, you can see the one blackish one. I tried to cut alway the cane die back as they emerged.

Little Polyantha (I forget the name, from ARE) - leafing out pretty well, but not very vigorous and some yellowing.

:((

Lee Ann

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH