SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tym99

Uh-oh! Aloe rot! Did I manage to save it?

tym99
13 years ago

Hi all. I have an aloe plant (actually five plants crammed in a 4" pot) that were given to me by a co-worker nearly a year ago. The plants did great, and then I moved, which relegated the clay pot to a basement windowsill in New England. There's enough distance between the glass and the plant to prevent freezing.

However, over the last few weeks, I noticed some of the lowermost/outermost leaf tips were starting to shrivel. Thinking it was underwatered, I gave the plant a bit more water (on a weekly schedule). Today I decided to prune off the shriveled leaves, and noticed that they were mushy. A couple had foul-smelling yellow gel inside instead of the usual clear.

So, I unpotted the plants, divided them, and inspected. The roots weren't mushy, but they were dry and brownish-looking for the most part. The stems were not mushy and I noticed a couple of the plants had new root nubbins coming out. I decided to leave the roots alone and only pruned off shriveled leaves, leaving a couple of longer "floppy" outer leaves in place. I then re-potted in clay pots with a cactus mix.

Should I have pruned off any of the roots? I wasn't sure what to look for with rot, but in reading more now, it seems the roots may have been bad even though they weren't mushy or smelly.

Also, the soil I used was a bit moist out of the bag and I didn't leave the plants more than a few hours to callus. Was that a mistake?

All plants have healthy-looking leaves in the middle, so I'm hoping it can be salvaged.

Finally, any other measures to take to control rot (such as additives to the water when I do water)?

Comments (25)