SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tony_hubert

Can we get away with mixing these two styles and finisin our bathroom?

MJ Hubert
5 years ago
Installing a pendant light over our pedestal tub and am trying to find vanity wall sconces to mix with the pendant which is already purchased. See first photo. Since it is a bathroom shared by my wife and me, she doesn’t want to go too glam on the sets of vanity lights. We will have separate 4’ vanities. Hers is across from the pedestal tub. See second picture of bath layout. The third picture is similar to what we have in mind for the look except the floor and shower will be a marble look tile. Cabinets will be white but we haven’t decided on granite for vanity tops yet nor do we have faucets picked out but will have a sliding glass door with either brushed or polished nickel hardware based on the discussion resulting from this post. The fourth picture is of the wall sconces my wife likes but is afraid might be mixing styles and finishes too much. She’s unsure if she can get away with chrome/polished nickel also since the pendant is brushed nickel but is very bright with the glass and interior lights. The vanity lights will be placed on either side of mirror. We agree we are dead set against over the mirror lights, me because of wanting light for shaving and her because she doesn’t like the shadows cast from overhead sconces. Hopefully this sets a complete stage for your help in making a decision. Thanks!

Comments (23)

• MJ Hubert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sorry about typo, meant to type finishes. Also photos are not presented in the same order I added them. No edit or pencil for editing the post even though only ten minutes have passed. I’m reposting pictures hoping they come over correctly this time.
  • MJ Hubert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I guess you can figure out which picture is what since they clearly are not going to post correctly. Sorry for all the confusion.
  • Related Discussions

Mixing Bathroom Light Fixtures with Bathroom Fixtures?

Q

Comments (5)
    no, it wouldn't I mixed finishes in all my baths..looks pretty natural. I don't even think people notice..they just see bigger picture. Don't mix brushed nickel and polished nickel, or chrome and nickel, these are too close to mix successfuly. ORB is different enough from brushed nickel, and also gives that very neutral feel, it being dark..you should be fine. but you can also cross post your question in Home Decorating forum..there's usually where questions about colors etc. go. Or Bathrooms one..but Home Decorating has more traffic..you 'll get more responces
    ...See More

Can we get away with 40 watts above our vanity mirrors?

Q

Comments (10)
    Yes, use LED bulbs if the fixture calls for an Edison base, but be sure to get them in a different style than the very large kind. You can now get LED bulbs even in candelabra size. Make sure the bulbs you get fit into your fixture’s shades. Any good lighting store will be able to help you. You will want to get bulbs with the Kelvin range (color) of somewhere around 3000 to 4000 K. Don’t worry about the price too much. I have LED bulbs I have not changed in 10 years. LEDs tend to dim as they age, so we might start replacing them soon.
    ...See More

Mixing styles in bathroom

Q

Comments (7)
    Actually the contact did not mention anything. More or less closing date and sales price. Very small builder. We were told everything was already selected. Mistake on our part, but because we were told everything was selected, we did not ask for allowances. Only after we signed were we told to visit the granite/quartz place, pick out carpet, etc. However, fixtures , no. The home was unroof, painted, and hardwoods down (through we got to pick stain). Another family was building it and they decided to purchase a spec home up the street in the same neighborhood. We found out, after the fact, that the builder had purchased items when covid was getting bad and was putting them in the house. However, we had no idea the fixures would be different styles in the same bathroom. Home construction is solid and other products like appliances are very nice. Thanks for the help!
    ...See More

One hallway bathroom or two small private bathrooms

Q

Comments (12)
    If they would each be the size of the standard 5x7 bath that used to serve as the only full bath in the house, and it has no negative affect on your budget to have another or negative effect on the bedroom size it would be fine to have two individual baths. If they would end up being cramped or shrinking the bedroom, maybe not. It's not so much that smaller bathrooms are that much more difficult to use, it's that they are a pain to clean. You could also do one ensuite and one hall access...and by the time the older one leaves the younger could move into that bedroom. I would not do a single Jack and Jill or the two sink thing. There are differing parenting styles too, and I know some parents more or less stay out of their teenage kids rooms, so it's possible that ensuite bathrooms in that situation would get really dirty. I once stayed overnight in a guest room last minute that was jack and jill with a kid's bedroom, (kid home) and they had me use the ensuite bathroom in a different kid's bedroom who was gone over that night or two. And the ensuite bathroom was not exactly filthy, but it was not clean or taken care of by a long shot. And they didn't know because they stayed out of their kid's rooms.
    ...See More
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Love your choices! But I'd too worry about all the finishes not matching since they can vary between brands of chrome, brushed/polished nickel, etc.

Since you haven't picked out your faucets yet, can you wait on lighting for now until you get counters and faucets in? Then pick your lighting to get the right tones/finish/polish...

You have the one hanging light (very cute) purchased which is fine since it's on it's own. But, to me, the same family of metal looks 100% better when they coordinate, esp when a sconce and faucet are just a few feet from each other. Or, they need to have major contrast. Hope that makes sense...

Search Houzz to get ideas and pick the look that catches you eye, then look at those specific details. Most of these that I saved have coordinating finishes...

I'm a fan of all the finishes matching in a bathroom. Clean, classic and non-clashy....

Ridgewood New Build · More Info

Fox Hollow Residence · More Info

The Vicarage - Georgian Grade II listed · More Info

Jacaranda Master Bathroom · More Info

wilmette split level adds penthouse · More Info

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Are you doing a little pony wall by the toilet? Or could you move the toilet to where the other sink is and put the 2 sinks together (even thought they might be shorter)? I'm not sure I'd want to be taking a shower watching someone go to the bathroom, and I wouldn't want to be putting on my makeup at my pretty new sink vanity while my husband has to do #1 or #2 next to me (LOL). At least the toilet would be across the room and not visible to those showering..... I'm not an expert, but just thinking of a way to hide the toilet....

• MJ Hubert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is Mary Jo (wife). No room for a pony wall but hiding the commode was an issue I’ve had from day one. We’ve moved things around at least 50 times because I wanted the perfect layout but I’ve resigned myself to the fact there is no perfect, just what will click off the most features and levels of comfort I want. Laura Mac, the vanity you’re suggesting replacing with the commode is just to the left as you enter from the master so I wouldn’t want it to be the first thing you see as you enter either. Other than building a wall between the shower and commode to shield the commode from the shower user’s view my options are shot. And I really didn’t want to lose any sense of openness to the room. We’ve been married 50 years and at this stage of our marriage this a forever (I hope) bathroom and house and our personal habits are such that the layout wouldn’t bother us. Our first layout (see picture) had the best situation for the commode but we decided it would crowd us getting ready if our vanities were that close to each other. Plus I loved having the tub and shower the first thing you see entering the room. I designed a tile rug for in front of the tub and the current plan showcases that the best. My thought is that we go with all chrome or polished nickel hardware and fixtures (they will all match) except for the pendant. With the pendant being in line with the focal points of tub and tile rug and mostly glass, I don’t think it’ll be so noticeable that it is a different finish than the rest. Especially if we go with polished nickel since it’s the closest in tone with the purchased light. It’s funny but Laura Mac selected the bath with the pendant light that inspired the purchase of our light. I loved it but not the price tag and was happy with this substitute. We’re using its companion tear drop shape (see pic) for a reading area in the master bedroom. I do appreciate pointing out shortfalls (thanks for taking the time to really study the layout!) but without going into a long story certain exterior building aspects can’t be changed so other than moving an interior door I’m stuck with this bathroom footprint.
    Bottom line is we’re OK with layout but just want opinions and suggestions on lights and fixtures. Thanks for your input!
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Tony and Mary Joe - congrats on 50 years! My parents made it to 62 years before my father passed away last year. I'm sure you are in for your best years and thankfully you are getting a brand new beautiful bathroom to celebrate!

Sorry, didn't mean to point out any design flaws, but was just thinking about the toilet being close to a sink, but most are. And I'd definitely not want to look at the toilet from the master so you are right!

I know you want input on your finishes (which everyone's opinion varies), but.....

Do you mind me asking -- do you take a lot of baths? Have you tried getting in and out of a tub lately? Have you tried hoisting your leg over and into a tub (looks like you have a deck mount)? I'm assuming you are past 65?, and unless you have really amazing knees and upper body strength to pull yourself out (even with a solidly attached grab bar), that might be another thing to think about. Have you looked at the walk-in tubs? My parents did a bathroom ad-on 20 years ago, with a massive jacuzzi type tub, and never used it once. Too hard to get in and out of and honestly, at a certain age, a waste of space.

You could always go to a design center/plumbing place near you and practice getting in and out of a tub, and see if it's truly what you want. As we age, toilet access and shower access (ADA compliant) is my desk thought for my bathroom. (AKA: Age in place bathroom). It's not fun to think about, but I'm definitely going to be designing with that in mind on my next big remodel for me. If I broke my leg, had surgery or had to be in a wheelchair for any reason, I'd want to be able to roll right in to a curbless shower or roll up to use the potty with plenty of space if someone needed to help me...

I think these curbless showers below are beautiful (also I saved because we were going to do a remodel at my parents, and I will definitely be doing this at my remodel).

And notice those beautiful tubs (but no grab bars)...

Sorry, I know you only wanted input on mixed metals/finishes but just something else that I'm sure you already considered, but just throwing it out there....

Your pendant light is sooo beautiful!

Glenwood Project · More Info

Large white tile shower with bench, steam shower, and window for natural light · More Info

Furnace Townhouse · More Info

Master Bathroom · More Info

• MJ Hubert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Last pic on your post is one I originally posted because it closely resembles our layout. LOL And yes I currently take a tub bath daily with some more effort now than before but will continue to do so as long as I can. I have back problems and soaking helps. I hate showers for whatever reason. Feels rushed to me, maybe since we were never allowed to let it run very long growing up. I realize filling a soaker tub is just as water wasteful but childhood does strange things with your adult mind!
    Anyway I have indeed kept in mind our aging and have experienced first hand challenged spaces from surgery (mine) and stroke (my mother). We are having a roll in shower with a linear drain next to a wall and a floating shower seat to facilitate complete or minor limitations due to illnesses. As large as the shower will be it should allow a caregiver room to enter the shower and help bathing even
    with a shower chair in there. We are having two shower heads, one centered on both of the stud walls of the shower with the removable hand held shower heads made by Delta. My daughter has them in her kids’ bathrooms and since I also help bath the little ones occasionally I know they are great to use in both situations.
    I have waited years for a soaker tub and if I get to the age I can no longer get in and out if it (maybe sooner than I hope) I will just sit on the commode and admire it! LOL And we’ve even gone so far as to create an en suite bathroom for the bedroom across the hall for guests or a live in care giver! My mother suffered several strokes before her death over 8 years time and my siblings and I took turns staying with her on weekends and nights when it was hard to find paid caregivers willing to work those shifts. We’ve also changed out all the doors to 36” to allow easy wheelchair access. There’s over 42” between the shower wall and commode which should be ample room to get a wheelchair or walker close enough for a transfer to the commode. Thanks for your insight and fore thought. It helps knowing my background but I didn’t want to post all that starting out.
    I went back and looked at the light I bought from Overstock again and even though it is listed as polished nickel once I received it the band, top and bottom plates and finial have more of a matte patina. The inner bulb holders are polished though so I think I’ll be OK going with polished nickel. I’m more worried about the style of the wall sconces clashing with the pendant. I’m choosing globe lights to mirror the pendant shape but they are mostly listed as industrial in style. Therefore my concern. If you look at the picture I posted, showing 4 wall lights I’m considering,
    which do you like best of the two on the left which are my two top picks?
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Of the two on the left, I like the top one for looking more elegant, and that is the feeling I get from the pretty pendant. The lower light on the left is simpler and less likely to invoke a "this is not from the same lighting group as the pendant" response, but it is also very plain.

I think that the open bottom on the lower one is not as evocative of the globe shape as the top one. Though the pendant is not a globe, it is enclosed glass, not open at any point, and the top one has that effect. It is the glass enclosing space that makes the pendant seem magical, and the top one shares that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    A couple of points on your sconces. First, ensure you have proper overall lighting because just sconces will not be sufficient lighting. Second, you will need to confirm that the total width of the fixture will fit either side of mirrors over each sink. Third, you don’t have to repeat any aspect of your feature light. In fact, my favorite sconce beside mirrors is a long narrow frosted glass one. So the sconces can be functional and your feature pendant stands alone. I will post some additional ideas.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Here are different options you might not have considered. One additional option is to hang a pendant from ceiling. Lots of possibilities.
  • MJ Hubert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks to all for your insight and suggestions. I do have plenty of room on either side of the mirror for sconces which are more for lighting near the mirrors and design effect than room lighting since we’ve established a recessed lighting schematic. I just need to make a decision on the sconces I’m using.
    Appreciate Flo’s suggestions for different styles. I did consider pendant lighting but wasn’t sure I’d like using them in conjunction with the main pendant. Too much stuff hanging from the ceiling you think? Two at my vanity and two at his plus the large one. I did look seriously at one of Flo’s options, the Elan Nui and agree it meets all the elements I’m looking for. Elegance without too much femininity and a wall sconce. I have never been much for the look of the frosted elongated lights but will think that one through. I can see it would give good light when you need it for makeup and shaving. I’ll let the idea percolate awhile and see if I get used to it. Sometimes when I first see something I don’t care for I end up loving it. Thanks again!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Yes, my people who use this type light love them. But i understand and thinking about these things now rather than when under time pressure is wise!
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Glad you've considered all the options for the tub.... I know the exact feeling in having caregivers for my mom, so you've definitely got it all figured out! Bless you for caring for your mom for the 8 year span! I'd still consider a walk-in tub for exactly your age on forward, then you can really enjoy it for years to come whatever comes your way.

I have 'frosted' sconces in my bathroom and had custom holes made into the mirror so the sconces come through my mirror and give it extra sparkle and light. But I put the sconce centered above the sink, way above my head (not on the sides), and I have cans above. I prefer frosted because the clear glass is difficult to clean in a bathroom, esp if you get steam, etc. Also, when I look directly into the exposed bulbs (Edison), they hurt my eyes... Most every bathroom sconce in photos seems to be frosted, so what you have above may not be the best choices....

So go with THE FLO! Her ideas are always on point!

Here are some ideas of placing sconces above the mirror as a thought. They don't always have to go on the side. That way you can get away with 1 over each sink (plus your recessed). If you have custom mirror cut (which I love to do), then you can cut the hole perfectly so you can place the sconce on the mirror to give it even more light bounce...(several examples below)

Claret Way · More Info

Sailing and Pailing · More Info

ELK Lighting Vanity Acadia Indoor Lighting · More Info

Designers Fountain Darcy Wall Sconce · More Info

Bathroom · More Info

Turtle Bay Loft · More Info

Lake Front Estate · More Info

Also, Houzz has great lighting for fairly cheap and I believe some of the PROS can give your their code for an additional discount. This little single scone above is only $20. I'd shop on Houzz over Overstock personally.....

I vote for a FROSTED glass either way, or a shade or froster cover either way. Taking down the clear glass covers to clean them would be a pain...

• MJ Hubert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I thought that same thing about the frosted being easier to get by longer without cleaning but hated to voice my opinion about bathroom cleaning. LOL I thought maybe I was one of a few who didn’t have a cleaning person. Seems like everyone I know nowadays has a cleaning service of some kind.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Thx laura. I do feel frosted light is best at sink mirror areas and completely agree that the Edison bulbs are harsh light you don’t want reflected toward your face. Hope these inputs help you achieve your dreams for this space and i praise you for taking such good care of your loved ones. Very tough job.
  • Molly D. Zone4B
    5 years ago

It’s going to be beautiful! Not a fan of Edison bulbs in this application either....

• ocotillaks
    5 years ago

Be sure to check code. You may not be able to put the pendant over the tub. I wish Fred would chime in.

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

I kind of like the trend of mixing finishes.. gets rid of the monotone bland feel.

• MJ Hubert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This will be my last house reno post on HOUZZ. Good bye and thanks to all of you who gave me good ideas and pushed me to think outside my box. House renovation will be complete by month’s end! Yeah!! At 70 I doubt I’ll be doing any more heavy duty changes in decor. I’ve learned so much from you all I should be able to handle it from here on my own. Flo the tub is set and I am getting in and out of it relatively easy now. But I did look into a contingency plan based on your comment that will give me use of my tub for years to come. Granted it takes away from the look of the room but life is what it is and I’d rather soak in a pretty tub than a handicapped looking one. (:) Thanks for the advice. Wish all the designers who comment on here were as nice as you! Check out the picture.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Great idea! Glad to be of some assistance and congrats for surviving posting here!! Lol. Would love to see finished project. Good job.

• MJ Hubert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Once we get all the window treatments up and before we move in I will post finished pictures.

• User
    4 years ago