SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
altiptoentx

Help with 5-1-1. Which of these are the correct/ideal sizes of bark?

altiptoentx
6 years ago

I am attempting the 5-1-1 and have been having problems finding the bark. I ordered the repti-bark, but judging from some of the photos on the forum I thought that it may be to large. Then I read that it also should be sifted, but is not quite the same as using the bark fines. Well I finally found two different brands of pine bark which looked suitable to try sifting.(most that I found was shredded) Now that I have sifted it, first 1/2 mesh then 1/4 mesh and finally 1/8 mesh. I would like input as to which size I should use. I have seen references of 1/8 to 1/2 as well as 1/4 to 3/8. Again, judging from photos that I have observed my 1/2 looks rather large. So since I am new to this, I am seeking some help from those with more experience at this than me. I am adding photos of what I ended up with for clarity and input. Thanks.

The bottom photo is a bag that I just sifted with the 1/2 screen and is damp/wet so I will let it dry before further sifting. The two above it are the 1/4 screen, the next two up are after the 1/8 screen and the top two are what is left. Also being that I have the repti-bark, should I just screen it also and add to the mix or would that not be a good idea? I would appreciate your input.

Comments (5)