SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
graygrayandwhite

Huge 9' Fiddle Leaf Fig: Where to Put It, What's Wrong with the Leaves

L T
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I was recently gifted a huge 9' fiddle leaf fig. The plant originally lived at a retail store for two months (not near a window), so I'm not sure how the care has been for it.

It has gone through a bit—including a short move and dramatic handling in a mover's truck—so I want it to chill out for a while before I do anything dramatic. When it got to me earlier this week, I just watered it because it seemed dry.

I just have three questions about this, since I learned quite a bit from reading through other people's threads:

1. It's in a corner of the house with a big north-facing window (to the left in this picture) and an east-facing window (straight ahead in this picture). Is this placement ideal?

I've read that the tree prefers diffused light (south- and west-facing windows), but also that north- and east-facing are preferred. Conflicting info.

2. There are some brown spots (see photos below) on the edges of the leaves. Some of the leaves also appear to be yellowing. In fact, I touched two smaller leaves today, and they just fell off. I'm thinking this has to do with under- or overwatering, but I can't be sure.

Can this plant recover? The other leaves look healthy, however, there is no new growth at any of the termini of the branches/at the buds, which is weird given that it's mid-Spring, and I'm in the perfect zone for this plant (Los Angeles).

3. How would you repot something like this? Or hell, even trim its roots and place it back into the original pot? It's a gigantic tree.

Some background: I have Dyna-Gro 9-3-6 per @tapla's recommendation from a few years ago. I plan to use it on this plant once it chills out a bit from its move/relocation. I also have a moisture meter and will plan to adjust a water regime to the plant's liking. The plant is in its original plastic container but has a large vessel to collect any leftover water from watering. I think the drainage is good, but I can't really tell. The roots look very mature, possibly overgrown.

I know there are a lot of threads on this plant, but I didn't want to hijack someone else's, so I wanted to post this afresh. I started this big thread a few years ago, and I'm glad it got a ton of replies! For the record, both those plants died :( possibly due to underwatering, and I hope not to repeat that with this beautiful giant I just got.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus