SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22590553

Rhodium plating - Is a layer removed during the process or not?

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My wedding rings are white gold. I've been told from a relative who worked for a long time in a chain jewelry store that every time you have this done the old plating must be striped off first and old scratches removed, cleaned and the new plating is applied. I have also read the same thing online as well as watched two videos from jewelers that involved both filing and sanding. However, I have also read that it is completely fine and doesn't not wear the ring down in time.

My rings are from a different chain and I've been very irritated by a few things so I sent two emails and have been corresponding with one of their reps. He did call me but the timing wasn't good and I'd rather use email for this.

One of the things I pointed out to him was when I went to have my inspection done the associate mentioned re-plating and I said no because of it causing premature wear and she insisted it's only dipped. This was the emailed response I received from the rep.

Regarding your ring being re-rhodium dipped, previous rhodium on the ring does not need to be removed. The process is that the ring will be cleaned, buffed to remove the scratches or imperfections then is cleaned again to remove and remnants of buffing compound then the piece will be re dipped to apply a new coat of rhodium. If this is done on an as needed basis it usually will not greatly affect the look of the ring. The rhodium actually does offer some protection to the underlaying gold as long as the rhodium is present, so it is a bit of a tradeoff.

Ultimately having your ring rhodium plated is a call that you will make and can certainly refuse to do so if you choose.

The associate is correct in the fact that the occasional rhodium does not damage the ring although having it done on a quarterly basis would definitely cause premature signs of wear in a ring.

My thoughts are, a buffing compound removes scratches because it is an abrasive material so it would be removing a tiny bit of metal as well. How else would the scratch be removed?

...having it done on a quarterly basis would definitely cause premature signs of wear in a ring.

So in time, it would eventually wear down the ring.

I feel as though the whole email talked in circles and there are areas where he contradicts himself.

Thoughts? Knowledge on this?

Thanks!

Comments (6)