SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
singhsaira

Please help in choosing a new Stucco color.

Cali Love
6 years ago
Here is a Mediterranean custom home that we are almost definitely purchasing. Nothing else in the budget except and change to the color of the exterior. I love the home but having a hard time accepting the yellowish tone on the exterior. I would love more of a creamy white or beige color.

What color do you think would match considering the roof color, the stones and the pavement?

I have added a couple pics of what I like. Thanks so much in advance. And what does the cost look like for a job like this?

Comments (22)

• Cali Love
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    More inspiration of what I like.
  • homechef59
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If this is real stucco, and not the EFIS product, you can paint it. The type of paint you will want to use is called elastomeric. It is more expensive, but it is much thicker than standard house paint. It will allow the stucco to breathe, expand and contract, while sealing the natural little cracks that form in stucco. There is an excellent page at Wikipedia on stucco. Educate yourself on it.

Having said that, you can tint elastomeric paint any color you desire. I suggest that when you select your color, you have the painter tint the primer the color that you have selected. This way you can see it on a large expanse before you fully commit. My painter did this for me and saved me from a horrible mistake.

I suggest you consider SW 6126 Navajo White. It is much warmer in a large expanse than it would appear on a chip. It will pair well with the roof tile color and tone things down a bit.

Beautiful home. When you get finished, be sure to post a picture so we can see how it turns out. It's always nice to see things that the community has opined upon.

Here is a picture with Navajo White.

• Related Discussions

Help! Need help choosing new roof color!

Q

Comments (27)
    I would also spray paint the star a rusty red so it will show more. It really doesn't stand out on the brick in it's current color which looks more copper in the picture. (the copper is pretty but you need red there) I would also consider opening the bed up in front of the stairs to add flowers as well. The house is beautiful, but the landscape is what's lacking. I would actually post a thread in the landscape forum to get some ideas of how you can build the landscape up a little. Put a plan together and just do a little bit every season..
    ...See More

Help with choosing color for gutters for a silver grey stucco house

Q

Comments (2)
    the flashing is white ... I don't have much of a trim. I have hard time matching the silver grey stucco to any paint color
    ...See More

Please help! Need to choose couch color for new condo

Q

Comments (1)
    ...See More

Help me choose a whole house paint color for new build!! Please!

Q

Comments (60)
    Hi Beth. Sigh... Our 1979 house had white primer on all interior walls when we bought it in 1998. So that's 19 years with the original owners not painting it. I had forgotten this more that, a couple years after we bought it, we had all the downstairs painted an off-white, still not realizing that was the first finish coat. I realized it when I was washing walls upstairs after finishing the downstairs. Then we went through some years thinking we would move. Now we have plans to gut the upstairs which will never see more than primer I guess.
    ...See More
  • chiflipper
    6 years ago

Just be aware, neither of your inspiration photos have "white" windows and both have very dark roofs (as does homechef's example). Please experiment with paint colors on your house using a paint suppliers website. It's going to cost a fortune to paint that house and you want to make sure you'll be getting the look you want.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I wouldn't touch that house with paint! It's a classic color and goes very well with the roof and trim. It will also cost you a LARGE fortune to paint it properly. Live with it for a few years - it need not be painted immediately. If you still dislike it, then paint it.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Color: nothing wrong with the reference pictures you posted. Homechef's suggestions are excellent.

Cost: a lot. Get out your checkbook.

• Cali Love
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all for your comments. I agree it would be a very costly mistake if done wrong or a wrong color was chosen. For now I will try my best to get along with it. And see how it settles in with me.

@homechef - is the example you sent me a pic of Navajo white on the exterior? It looks like it has yellow undertones. It is warm and pretty. I love the color white dove but I know that it may not be the right color for the exterior.

And I will def keep you guys updated with pics with what I decide to do.

Anyone has before and after pics of stucco color changes?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Navajo White might be too yellow in tone. Paint the window frames bronze.

• kay kin
    6 years ago

dang. lots of house. off white- $15k

• Elle
    6 years ago

I agree with changing the color and would go with a taupe that complements the stone at the top of the home.

• homechef59
    6 years ago

Do what Virgil suggests. It's the best way. The Navajo White looks a little brown to me in samples. I was very surprised how warm it was once I saw a large expanse. I was thinking that it would pair well with the roof. But, you really need to put up three or four samples. I agree with living with the current color for a while. There is always so much to do when you buy a new house. There are always surprises. If the stucco is in good shape, I'd wait a year or two before I did anything.

• chispa
    6 years ago

I have a Spanish style house with stucco. Here in CA there are 2 types of stucco, the one where the color is mixed in with the stucco and the one where they do the stucco in the natural color (white-ish) and then paint with elastomeric paint.

The mixed in type should last for ever. The painted type should also last for a long time if all the prep was done correctly. I think the mixed in type is more expensive, so not seen on as many homes.

Use Dunn Edwards elastomeric paint. The company is from this area and supposedly they have the best product for this climate.

When I bought my house it was painted a tan-ish color with a mustard yellow-orange undertone, which I didn't like at all. We did some remodeling and repainted the whole exterior. I tried about 7 Dunn Edwards tans and ended up picking Sahara (DEC747), a nice creamy tan. My windows are white.

Your user name says "boston" ... I really hope this house isn't in MA! No paint would fix that issue!

• rockybird
    6 years ago

It’s a really pretty house. I wonder if it might help to paint some bigger trees around it to minimize the visible color?

• chispa
    6 years ago

Rocky, "paint" some bigger trees? I don't think some tree murals will help the color ;-) LOL

• rockybird
    6 years ago

LOL I meant “plant”. Haha good catch chispa!

• Cali Love
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all for the comments. Really really appreciate it. I will leave it for a month or 2 and then get a few colors to experiment with.

And nope this is Northern California :). Not Boston :)
  • PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    6 years ago

That home appears to have an acrylic stucco finish common in the area, most likely by Omega Products, using their Akrotique finish to get the mottled look. I would check in with the manufacturer before using a coating of elastomeric paint.

• sharron08
    5 years ago
    Hi Cali Lovin, what have you decided?? I feel like we have similar taste as I don’t want a stucco that has yellow under tones.
  • sharron08
    5 years ago
    And, your example houses are the same ones that I have saved in my profile.
  • Cali Love
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Sharron08 - Hi there - We decided not to go with that house and ended up in a home we love. We went through a lot of ifs and buts about that home but ultimately it was just not the right fit. Do you love a home you are thinking of purchasing now that has yellow undertones?

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

To me, the original color looks embedded in the stucco. In the West, an elastomeric paint would be used only if the exterior has lots of thin cracks due to setting; we usually don't use this type of paint since it reduces the permeability of the stucco which is a bad thing. In rainy parts of the country, wood framing under stucco may be susceptible to rot and then you'd consider elastomeric paint . But in the West, the breathability of stucco allows moisture to evaporate quickly, leaving the home safe and dry and therefore we generally use regular old exterior paint and avoid the elastomeric paint.

The stonework and the tile roof are the boss of the house, and paint should be understated to let the stonework and tile roof take center stage.

Motor Court · More Info

Valencia 1180 · More Info

Mediterranean Entry · More Info

• sharron08
    5 years ago
    Cali Lovin, congratulations!!!! I’m glad you found what you love-that’s all that is important. I (unfortunately) chose the path of building a home, so I’m looking for the perfect stucco that I basically haven’t seen yet-except on Houzz and Pinterest! I know I will find it, but it’s hard to pick when houses that come close have either a yellowish or pinkish undertone. I’ll figure it out though.