SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Milkweed (?) ID from seeds & dried stalk? (x-post from Milkweeds)

javiwa
6 years ago

I visited my son in Austin,TX in January, and noticed a dead plant in the corner of his driveway (rental house w/ three other roommates, so who knows if this was intentionally planted or a volunteer). It looked awfully 'milkweed-ish', so I snapped off the top stalk and rolled it all up into a paper towel -- pretty much forgot about it until now. I've got tropical and incarnata MW seedlings sprouted right now, and I'd love to know if I have a third variety -- I'm in milkweed mode!

First pic has tropical MW seeds for size reference. That mystery plant shown is ~ 4", if I uncurl the very top:

The whole thing's very brittle and fluffy -- at the merest touch, I've got fluff and frass all over.

Here's a closeup. What I snapped off is basically the top of the plant, with several arching branches of what once were flowers -- and the very top seems to be the final arched branch. Blue arrows point to side branches. Circled in red are maybe seeds...? (If so, that's a ton of seeds. And this isn't at all similar to the MW seed pods I'm used to seeing.)

Can anyone tell me if this is a milkweed (and, if so, what variety?)? I can Google from there.

If this helps, the plant is situated on the north side of the house; watering is likely very hit or miss (mostly miss, I'd guess). My son just checked and reported that the plant has come back from the freezes! No flowers yet, but he says the leaves are slender and pointy, very much resembling either tropical or tuberosa MW. (He doesn't have a camera, so no pics...and the plants not blooming yet, either.)

Thanks for any help with this.

c f

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH