SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bossyvossy

Best breadmaker, 2018 thread

6 years ago

Ive decided Id like to try a breadmaker. I scanned thru threads here but they were old. I eat very little bread but would like to try making my own, once in a blue moon. It has to be better than any I can buy at the store.

Please share with me your fave. I'm looking for $20-30 price range, simple to use, RED, whatever feature you didn't know you wanted but can't live w/o now.

thanks

Comments (62)

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

mamapinky, my big Zo will hold 6+ cups of flour, enough for 2 big loaves or 3 smaller 8 inch ones.

Mine comes apart easily, the pan snaps in/out and the paddles come off. I give it a wipe and put it back together, it takes seconds.

I'm assuming other models have different modes of assembly/disassembly, but they are mostly similar, I think.

chas, mine has a preheat, but I just watch though the lid after the "knead" function starts and if I need to add liquid I just open the lid and add it.

Nancy, I don't use any mixes in my machine. I have used everything from Grandma's Farmhouse White recipe to AnnT's Italian to the Pane Bianco from King Arthur. Liquids first, then flour, salt and yeast on top, each on one end. Hit the dough button. Walk away. They have all worked.

Annie

• 6 years ago

Mama, bread machines are usually rated by the loaf size in pounds. 1.5# and 2# are common. IME, the machines will handle more dough than what they're rated at if you're using it only to mix & knead. IOW's, a 1.5# rated machine will mix & knead a 2# recipe (2 loaves) just fine.

ETA, if you want to make more than 2 loaves at a time, get two machines. You can find them really cheap second hand. Two used ones will cost way less than one brand new machine.

• Related Discussions

Best 36 inch induction cooktop for 2017/2018?

Q

Comments (35)
    kekramer, I definitely use my CSO more than the M series. While I love the M series convection, the CSO heats up faster and is waaaayyyy more versatile. I am also a bread baker and this oven is a game changer for me (I have broken oven glass in prior ovens by spilling water on the glass trying to introduce steam lol). You can get EXCELLENT results with bread in this oven. There have been multiple threads on Houzz about how to get the best bread baking results with a CSO, and here is my method. I run the steam first for about 10 minutes, making sure that the oven cavity is good and steamy with plenty of condensation on the bottom of the oven. Then I load the bread loaf (or loaves), put it on auto steam bake, and find that the excess water in the oven provides even more spring to the loaf after the beginning steam phase is over and has cut over to higher baking temps. The Wolf CSO has another mode called "Convection Humid" which is great for quick breads. It seals the cavity during Convection so that steam cannot escape, thus making the bread more moist. Muffins and quick breads really shine in this mode. Side note, I use my M series to proof bread. The proof function works really well. If you make jams and jellies, the steam oven can also be used to do the canning step in replacement for a boiling water bath (BWB). The jars can be steamed to sanitize before filling, and then steamed at 210 degrees for 30 minutes. It works great, and best of all, no tip overs and sealing failures.
    ...See More

Best new plant(s) in your garden (2018)

Q

Comments (35)
    RE: BLUE CHIFFON My experience is that it is not sterile, but it seeds much much less than other ones. I had a pink one that left hundreds and hundreds of seedlings. I think Blue Chiffon is so pretty it's worth the risk of a couple dozen seedlings. You can reduce the # seedlings by deadheading before the seedpods form. If you are late, you lose.
    ...See More

October 2018 - New Home Build Thread

Q

Comments (247)
    Exterior paint. Its pretty blue but I think it looks good. The two houses that are closest (and finished) are dark gray and dark blue/gray. We like it a lot. These are from Monday but I guess it was painted on Sunday. The interior paint guys said it was done when the showed up in the morning. They are finishing up the inside paint but are taking their time. They did the basement Monday and part of the 2nd floor yesterday. I'm guessing it'll take them at least until tomorrow to finish upstairs and the main floor but thats just a guess. The builder did say grading and exterior stone would start before the weekend. I hope that happens.
    ...See More

Best Reds of the Season 2018

Q

Comments (45)
    Wow, so many wonderful reds! I originally commented and uploaded pics but for some reason, the post disappeared after "Submit". It was a bit late then so I gave up. I just want to say that red is a color that is really hard to capture by photography. And yet, there are some pics on here that are just outstanding. I really like Debra's pics of Buddy's Red Head and Everything You Desire, Mantis's pic of Spiderman, Celest's Ruby Spider and Smuggler's Fire, Sherry's Red Volunteer, Brad's Acquire the Fire, Kay's Wispy Rays, and Julia's WHAT'S UP DOWN SOUTH. Some nice reds and red blends from my garden this year: Digital Dynamics Ring of Magnetism Karen Stephens Jim Weissenberger
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

As far as cleaning--I don't. I just let any bits of dough left behind to dry. Once dry, it just flakes off the non-stick pan. I do have to reach in and kinda' pry the dried dough out from under the paddle since mine doesn't come apart easily. Have to use snap ring pliers to remove the paddle on mine. An easy to remove paddle would be a nice feature to have.

• 6 years ago

I'm still using my Mom's Remington breadmaker she bought some time in the 90s.

The paddle comes off very easily.

• 6 years ago

Thank you much for the info Annie, Chas and C_lantro.

Next trip to the thrift ill look for one. I was only worried about the initial cleaning since it will be a used one. This ought to be fun. LOL

• 6 years ago

Chas's tip about starting the machine in the shop is a good one.

Adding that you don't want to quick test the machine in the 'whole wheat' cycle because the mixing is delayed. I thought 'whole wheat' cycle on my machine was broken; tested another machine at a rummage sale and whole wheat didn't work on it either so I didn't buy it. I finally realized that the mixing action is purposely delayed. Probably the reason is to give time for the flour to hydrate.

Yeh, I don't spend much time reading instruction manuals.

• 6 years ago

If you lived close and if my Zoji was red, I’d give it to you. Used it once I think, literally. Threads like this always almost guilt me into trying it again. I really should.

• 6 years ago

My original bread machine caught fire and died a couple of months ago.

I found one at the thrift store. $20, never used (wedding gift?), and it worked "all right." But ............... I use the bread machine only on the dough setting, and the dough was very warm when I took it out to shape and bake.

FYI, most of the bread machines at the thrift store were missing the mixing paddle.

My kids got me a Zojirushi for my birthday, and I love it. I can turn off the pre-heat, and with two paddles, the dough is well mixed and kneaded. It's not quite as "violent" as my old ones.

Back in the old days, I kneaded my bread by hand, and eventually I used a hand-cranked dough mixer. I like the Zojirushi much better.

• 6 years ago

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who only use your bread machine to make dough, have you ever used a food processor for this? I have a bread machine and bake all of our bread in it. It’s an Oster I just bought from Amazon because my old one just died.

I have a Cuisiart 14 cup food processor that I make a double batch of pizza dough in, and it works great to mix and knead the dough. I occasionally mix and knead other breads in it too, and bake in the oven.

I think the food processor is the most versatile machine, and would only have that if I didn’t plan on baking in the bread machine.

• 6 years ago

have you ever used a food processor for this?

No, only for pie crusts

Bread Baking 101: How to Knead Dough

Alternate Method: Kneading in a Food Processor

For many bread recipes we would caution against the rough treatment of a food processor, which can tear apart the strands of gluten that give bread structure and the ability to rise. But for pizzas, flatbreads, and other doughs where we want chew but the structure is less important, we like to put it to use. Many of these doughs would require 15 to 20 minutes of traditional kneading in the stand mixer to become a shiny, elastic mass—but less than 2 minutes in the food processor. The only exceptions in this category are extremely wet doughs with a hydration level of more than 75 percent, doughs with very large yields. Here’s how to ensure the best results.

Use metal blades. Many food processors come with dull plastic blades meant to mimic the kneading action of a stand mixer. But we found they tend to drag the dough or leave it stuck to the sides of the bowl, out of reach of the stubby blades. A sharp slicing action is essential to forming dough quickly, as the longer you process, the more you risk overheating the dough.

Use ice water. The forceful action of a food processor creates friction, pumping a lot of heat into dough. To counteract this effect, it’s important to use ice water to create a final dough with a temperature around 75 degrees. (Lower temperatures mean the dough will take longer to ferment; higher temperatures can kill yeast.)

While kneading by hand can be a gratifying process, most of our recipes call for a stand mixer simply because it’s easier. (And in cases where the dough is extremely wet and loose—as in our Ciabatta or Pizza Bianca—working it by hand is virtually impossible.) But to answer your question, we rolled up our sleeves and laboriously kneaded batches of challah, multigrain, and olive bread by hand for 10 minutes and kneaded second batches of each in stand mixers fitted with dough hooks for the same amount of time. While all of the loaves were equally light, we found the handmade breads chewier (an indication of greater gluten development) than the machine-made samples.

Our science editor explained: While gluten (the interlinked protein strands that give bread structure) develops no matter how you mix the dough, machine-kneading is rougher; it links gluten strands only to tear them apart. Hand-kneading is gentler, producing gluten that, once formed, stays together, which can ultimately lead to chewier texture.

Still, the differences weren’t dramatic enough for us to lock away our stand mixer and revert to hand-kneading. It’s just too convenient to let a machine do it for you.

• 6 years ago

20 yrs ago I bought my first Zorjirushi, used it for 13yrs and it begin to die, DH would work on it and away it would go again for awhile. It was a paddle lock up problem. Finally purchase another Zo. For 20 yrs I have used 2-3 times a week. At first would bake bread complete in the machine, it was just okay, didn’t care for the crust texture, and one day used the dough cycle, baked in oven, WOW what a difference, only bake in oven now.

Send lots of bread home with 3 kids and their young families. The Zo is rather a high dollar item but....I like it makes a 2# loaf, the 2 paddle technique. If I needed another bread maker it would be a Zorjirushi in a heart beat .

Still have first Zo (it will work) and a few times have had both going at same time, needing lots of dough for family gatherings.

Never used my food processor for bread dough but use it often for pasta and pie crust doughs with great success.

One grandson was visiting another grandson and they decided to snack, looking for something to eat , one said, “got any of Mammo’s bread?”

• 6 years ago

I bought a Panasonic, brand new for 1/2 price because it had a little scratch on the back of the machine.

that's 10 years ago. Still working great.

I also use it to make rice, soup and risotto

dcarch

• 6 years ago

I don't use my food processor for bread because it's one of the original Robot Coupe Cuisinarts. Difficult to find replacement bowls for it. Would rather put the wear & tear on an easy & cheap to replace bread maker. Same reason why I don't use my Hobart Kitchen Aid mixer for bread, either.

• 6 years ago

I'm on my third bread machine. Wore out the first two. The last one was a Breadman. I only used the first two on the dough cycle and shaped then baked the bread in the oven because I didn't like the shape of the loaves they produced. The one I have now is a Zojirushi and I love it. My girlfriend in Tennessee called me from a thrift shop where she found an unused bread machine for $7 and asked if I thought she should get it and I told her to test it. She did, it worked, she bought it and has been very pleased with it. If you can find one in a thrift shop, test it, then buy it. You won't find a new one in your price range. Most people use theirs for kneading, etc., but I have let the loaves bake in mine several times and was very happy with the results. I also do the dough for cinnamon rolls in mine.

Madonna

• 6 years ago

Shirley, like you, I replaced my first Zo. I used it constantly, making all our bread, buns, cinnamon rolls, pizza crust, you name it. When it quit, after thousands of cycles, Elery bought a new one the same day. The new one has gotten the same use.

I also used to knead all my bread by hand, but years of legal research and computer work left me with a painful case of carpal tunnel, now it HURTS to knead dough. So the machine does that, I do everything else.

impatien, I do not use the food processor. I have a big KitchenAid food processor, but it just doesn't do as good a job as the Zo. I can't manage to make pie crust in it either, a split second leaves the dough too warm to handle, then I spend all the time I saved waiting for the dough to chill enough to continue. I have made pasta in it, but I don't work the dough much because I have an Atlas pasta machine and by the time I roll it in, and then roll it thinner, and repeat several times, it's kneaded and doesn't need that time in the food processor. I don't even use the food processor to chop the vegetables when I make salsa, because I tend to go from chopped to puree pretty quickly. I do use it to shred cabbage for huge batches of sauerkraut, I use it to make hummus and I use it to chop small amounts of meat, like chicken for sausage. I use it to slice the garlic when I'm dehydrating my garden harvests, and I use it for shredding carrots for carrot cake or zucchini for zucchini bread or for the freezer, so it gets its share of use, but not making bread.

Annie

• 6 years ago

Ck out the $20 monster! Trying a basic white loaf today

• 6 years ago

Bossy fun!! I wish you a perfect loaf.

I may be going to the big thrift store tomorrow or Wed. Where I've seen tons of bread machines but now that I want one there won't be any. Lol

Good Luck Bossy

bossyvossy thanked mamapinky0
  • 6 years ago

That’s how it always works

• 6 years ago

I may get that one eventually. I’m 30 min into my maiden breadmaki g voyage

• 6 years ago

I'm late to this bossyvossy, and looks like you've found one : ) I hope your bread turns out tasty!

If for any reason you're not happy with your bread, I'd urge you to try what others have mentioned: use it to knead the dough, but bake it in the oven.

I had an older Hamilton Beach Bread Machine, 2 pound, with a lot of settings (the same type paddle used to knead as many other brands use), and found bread mixing in it to be fine for basic loaves and Italian bread, but far preferred the oven for baking.

• 6 years ago

Ta da!

• 6 years ago

Basic white bread, Med. Crust. Tastes good but since I’m inexperienced, don’t know what grade I’d get at cooking school.

• 6 years ago

Looks like it turned out pretty doggone good!

• 6 years ago

To heck with Cooking School, if it tastes good, it's an "A+"!

Annie

bossyvossy thanked annie1992
  • 6 years ago

Cooking school, schmooking school (not that I have anything against cooking schools and classes!)... A+! Welcome to the world of home-made bread bossyvossy! Before you know it, you'll be trying all kinds of breads : ) Be sure to wait 1-1/2 to 2 hours before slicing your bread (and trust me, I know how hard that is!) Congrats on baking bread and also for saving $$$ : ) Well done.

bossyvossy thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • 6 years ago

2Many looks like Bossy already cut the bread LOL. And doesn't that buttered piece look good. Even from me who won't typically eat a soft bread. Great job Bossy.

• 6 years ago

Is the wait to prevent it from crumbling?

• 6 years ago

The wait will help the crumb and crumbling, yes. The bread should cool down before cutting, otherwise it's too moist, the crumb might be too soft/not fully cooked, and will keep it from squashing as you slice it : )

Typically the wait is 1-1/2 hours, but I try to wait a full 2 hours as I find some breads still aren't totally cool until 2 hours.

• 6 years ago

bossyvossy, now that you've got a good loaf under your belt, and I'm sure you'll be baking more, why not try a loaf of very simple Italian sometime - nothing fancy... here's one to try that is for a bread machine. No need to overthink it, just follow the directions and to form it, just roll it (there's more to it, but for a first practice that'd be fine). This way, you can practice (and eat what you make!) on different breads and shapes, and not be restricted to just white bread shaped by your bread maker. Italian bread can be used as a nice accompaniment to dinner meals, and used for sub sandwiches.

If your house is cold, you can put the shaped dough on the sheet pan, and put it in a pre-warmed oven to let it rise (I turn mine on to 375 F for about 1 minute, then turn it off). Do remember to cover your loaf. You can slice into the top just before you bake it with a sharp knife so it'll rise nicely : ) Just slice (also called slashing) in about 1/2 inch for your first attempt.

Trust me, once you make a few loaves of plain white, you'll be looking for more ideas! Cheese is a great addition - we love cheddar.

Also, your bread won't last long - no additives, so eat up, or cut in half, wrap well, and freeze half for later.

ETA: DH and I eat more soft sandwich bread like you just made than anything (I make his lunch sandwiches with it and our breakfast toast). I know you'll enjoy your bread adventures!

• 6 years ago

Thank so much for encouragement and suggestions. Good to know I can freeze in order to control consumption. I would like to make egg bread and raisin bread when I have a few loaves under my belt.

a big motivator was that when I buy bread from store or eat out, their bread bloats me like I’ve eaten beans.

Artisan Italian breads don’t bother me nor those usually found at health stores.

i was at a gathering recently and was truly surprised when I started casual conversation re: breadmaking. Just about all the mommies started chiming in. It’s a thing! Ha

• 6 years ago

Momj47, you stated: My kids got me a Zojirushi for my birthday, and I love it. I can turn off the pre-heat,

I have the very same breadmaker and adore it. But, how in the heck do you turn off the pre-heat. I have wanted to do that, but never could figure out if it could be done. Please educate me. Thanks.

• 6 years ago

DH discovered a shredded timing belt. He replaced and then motor seized. He’s the pre-eminent Mr Fixit, so when he says to scrap it, it must be bad. Sniff.

too bad, he’d even painted it to my liking.

Well get a new cheap one later. I continue to get bloated from store bought white loaves. So I’m stopping eating that kind of bread or hot dog or burger buns til I get a bread maker and prepare wholesome recipes. Not a priority as I don’t eat much bread to begin with.

• 6 years ago

BUMMER!!!!!

bossyvossy thanked arkansas girl
  • 6 years ago

Aw, bossyvossy, I'm so sorry! I hope you can find a replacement for it. I sold my Hamilton Beach breadmaker in the last garage sale for $10 and it was in amazing condition - I hope you find a replacement soon : ) Your DH sounds like mine - he's saved many an appliances for me as well, and even repaired my favorite canister vacuum (lovingly named The Little Red Devil - because it's red and more powerful than a small shop vac).

• 6 years ago

He’s decided he’s not ready to give up. Since I told him I’d posted his efforts, now his ego is at stake, ha.

• 5 years ago

I am SO obsessive! But I think of it as a defense mechanism. You see, I can spend time in projects like this instead of dwelling on painful, annoying situations. A great distraction and when I do come back to the negative thoughts, like magic, they have lost their relevance.

anywho, once adorable hubs decided to give repair another shot, i decided I really didn’t like the rosey shade of red. Plus paint was lifting at the slighted touch. I stripped the danged thing. Used acetone.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here is it, sanded and clean. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, use primer for plastic (or whatever material you’re working with).

• 5 years ago

Many paints claim they adhere but for $4 why take a chance. My first go-around I did not prime and paint did not bond. Wasted time and effort. This it what I used and it did not adhere w/o primer. See how it claims it bonds to plastic? Not without primer in most situations.

• 5 years ago

Ta-da! Going to store to get a mix. Cross your fingers that this works.

• 5 years ago

I’m over the $20 mark for a bread maker....

• 5 years ago

^^ LOL! Well bossyvossy, you clearly wanted a red bread machine : ) FWIW, don't blame ya, it's very snazzy now! Color me impressed. I love a good bargain, and I love it more when I can 'customize' or clean it up and make it work or look better.

You might want to let that paint cure a week or so before you start using it, just a thought : )

• 5 years ago

I will wait. But fleischmann mix is on hand. Yes, I know what i want

• 5 years ago

Wow Bossy your bread machine looks great. Good job!

• 5 years ago

I let paint cure, not sure if it was necessary, but finally baked yesterday. I used a Fleischman package mix. It tastes good but it was darkish and dense. Would appreciate your input.

• 5 years ago

Should dough have risen more or it looks ok to you

• 5 years ago

From the color in your pic. I assume that this is a whole wheat bread. I have never used mixes, but I would expect that they would add everything they can think of to increase rise. I therefore might expect a little more rise, but whole wheat doesn't rise like white and without special additives, I would expect what you showed. Crust is nice for a bread machine.

bossyvossy thanked chas045
  • 5 years ago

My next attempt will be using ingredients vs pkg

• 5 years ago

Hi, i just got a bread maker. It was $20 at the thrift and is a cuisinart. I tested it. The paddle spun, the element heated, the little screen let me switch thru the cycles and i tested all the buttons. It seems very clean, tho when i tested the elements they smelled faintly of raisin bread when hot. So what should i try first? Is there an easy level and an advance level? I was going to start looking at the thrifts for a bread machine cookbook...any suggestion on a good book? I like ones with photos so i know what i am aiming for.