SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buford_ne_ga

Bathroom Renovation

Buford_NE_GA_7A
6 years ago

Hi, We are going to renovate our master bath and I would like some input. The house was built in 2000 and the bathroom is a builders special. White fiberboard cabinets, separate vanities, corner garden tub, stall shower with pan, horrible lighting and huge mirrors. Oh, I forgot, carpet on the floor!

We are gutting everything, even the toilet and tile in the toilet room. I am meeting with a contractor on Monday. My husband has given me carte blanche (within our budget, 10-12K), except he wants light colored cabinets, keep separate vanities and no rain head shower. Our bathroom is about 10'/12' mostly square, but with one corner on and angle (we have double doors that open to our bedroom). There is a separate room for the toilet, and where the shower is now is an alcove above the 12 foot length. The ceiling is vaulted.

I want to have a corner tiled shower where the garden tub is now. The garden tub is basically useless and dominates the room. However, there is a window in the corner that will have to be inside the shower. I want that window replaced with frosted glass or glass blocks. Is that doable?

Where the shower is currently, I want to put an alcove bath. I like to take baths and I'm looking at the soaker tubs that have the drain on top. I see there are some affordable whirlpools and wonder if they are worth it or if the installation costs will blow up my budget.

I am looking at semi-custom cabinets by HDC (Home Depot Brand). I like the ability to have different configurations and matching linen closet and also an over the toilet cabinet that will match. We have a strange configuration of cabinets now, his vanity has three door cabinets and is about 55 inches. Mine is two door cabinet and a vanity desk, which I'm giving up in favor of a tall linen closet. Our bathroom has zero storage for towels. If I can use these, the cost is only about $2200. I do need tops but I think I can get some pre-made for about $300 each. Each vanity will be about 48 inches wide.

I want to have radiant floor heating. Our bathroom is built above the garage and is cold as hell. We like to keep our bedroom cool, and I don't want to have to heat up the whole top floor to get heat in the bathroom. This is a priority.

I would like to have marble tile on the floors and walls. I have checked Home Depot and they have some affordable marble that looks nice, about $5 a square foot. I also saw some decorative tile that I can get a few pieces of to give the bathroom some individuality.

Is all this doable with the 10-12K? I want the bathroom to look nice and be functional. I'm not super concerned about style, except I don't want any chrome fixtures. What are some questions/concerns I should bring up with the contractor? Thanks for any help or input.

Comments (17)

• janecalle
    6 years ago

The very first thing you need to do is make sure that you have vetted the contractor very well. Licensed, insured, excellent references and you have seen his work. Tell him your budget and your wish list. Where we live, with qualified labor, your budget would not be sufficient (and most reputable contractors would not suggest that your wish list could be accomplished within that budget). Basic removal and replacement of shower and maybe the bath tile flooring (not walls), without added heat in flooring, would be about as far as your budget would get you in our region. Showers, if done properly with all the required waterproofing, are often one of the most expensive aspects of a basic bath remodel. Labor is far more expensive than the tile itself. Don't forget demo and waste removal, permits, design drawings, licensed plumbers and electricians. Not to burst your bubble, but you don't want to hire unqualified labor that promises something that can't be done, or is done very cheaply with nothing but failures and the need to re-do in the future. If the contractor is qualified, ask what CAN be done within your budget and adjust your plans accordingly, or wait until you can afford to do what you want.

Buford_NE_GA_7A thanked janecalle
  • Related Discussions

Ugliest Bathroom in the World: Basement Bathroom Renovation

Q

Comments (2)
    are there bedrooms down there as well? if someone will be using the bedroom in the basement, then they will want a decent bathroom to go with it. 6 inches really isn't worth the hassle of taking down or moving a wall. A foot, maybe, 6" ? no. once you put on the wall or tile, you've got maybe 4" total. Maximize the space by choosing a good vanity w/storage, and possibly building a niche into the wall for additional storage. (use the area between the studs as a built in cabinet) using a prefab shower is fine, but pick a decent one as opposed to those flimsy acrylic pieces. you don't say want the resale value is, so i have no way of knowing how much you should invest. You say you bought mid-range, but I don't know what else you need to redo. anything under a 15% profit really isn't worth it. as for fitting it over the existing drains, usually you will need the new drain cover. if the drain needs to come up, there are extensions. I would advise your husband to do some research on how to fit those into an existing bathroom. If he's handy and can build his own slope, mortar bed and waterproof the shower, then he could prob tile it himself. Just depends on how much work you want to do and what the return is on what you choose. by the looks of what you have there currently, you may have some water damage underneath all the mess. Tear out what you can and then determine what you need to do.
    ...See More

NYC prewar bathroom renovation - keep the tub?

Q

Comments (16)
    May the gods of unneeded renovations divert the fleas of a thousand camel to infest your armpits. Give the bathroom a really good cleaning, reseal all the grout, and otherwise leave the d**n thing alone. It's just fine the way it is. Take the large amount of money I just saved you and divide into two equal piles. Send one pile to me.
    ...See More

Primary Bathroom Renovation Quote

Q

Comments (4)
    Have you gone to see his work at other places and talked to other home owners? That should be done before you ever contract with someone. It just might keep you from joining many of the others, we see on this forum, with shoddy workmanship.
    ...See More

bathroom renovation question

Q

Comments (3)
    And a floor plan with all dimensions. Inspiration pictures would help along with potential selections.
    ...See More
  • Buford_NE_GA_7A
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mohamed, that design is beautiful and what I am looking for. Do you mind telling me where you got the vanities? I know that my budget is low, and I have been researching products to save money in spots. I will get a feel for the contractor and see if I think they are good. They come recommended by Home Depot and are bonded, etc. I have had work done by HD Contractors before and they have been pretty good. Of course that limits me to using HD products. I'm not going to go for a hard sell. Plus I have cash so I think I can bargain, if not with HD, then with another contractor.

• Tina Colley
    6 years ago
    My shower was just done ....TWICE! Please be very cautious on who you hire. Our first contractor was licensed and insured for 30 years. His deposit of 5,000 dollars and a thousand dollars in tile were thrown into a dumpster at a cost of $500.00. I was unaware of this section on houzz and could have prevented all the waste had I researched the process as much as I did all the pretty rooms. I will say given the choice I would insist on the Schluder system for the shower. Really impressed with it and so much cleaner than green board. Educate yourself on proper waterproofing before they start. I was so far into my job before I knew how horrible the work was. On a good note it’s so nice to have a brand new room that you design.In Ohio labor for shower 42X70 was quoted at 6,000 to 8,000. We bought our 70”soaking tub with jets and bubbles from Costco for around 2,300.00. I love my tub! Best of luck and please keep us updated as you go?
  • janecalle
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If you are hoping that cash will get you a better bargain, I would respectfully suggest that you are not working with a licensed and reputable contractor. Now if this is a Home Depot project, complete with their own contractors, then financing and credit card payments may come into play. I can't speak to the quality you should expect. But steer clear of any "contractor" that agrees to do a job, for less, for cash (unless you have a friend or family member who is an actual bonafide experienced contractor who is willing to help you out).

And Tina, I followed your thread and so happy for you to finally have a lovely and sustaining bath! You were a trooper. Remember that Schluter is one system, but there are others that are very good (and green board is not even an acceptable product for any shower installation).

• Tina Colley
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the kind words. Hindsight is 20/20.
  • roarah
    6 years ago

My shower fixtures, glass door, waterproofing, tiles and labor ate up your whole budget. My shower is nice but only midrange. My tiles were the cheapest part of the shower at under $10 per sq ft. My plumbing and electrical cost another 10k. This was an addition so your plumbing and electric may be less or as is often the case with gutting you may find out of code issues that cost more than starting new. Your prices are DIY not hired out costs. Trustworthy labor is and should be spendy. Your budget would allow for light labor, floor tile change, not a water area!, new vanity, mirror, toilets, and light fixtures if you are lucky in my neck of the woods. The average gut bath remodels in the USA start at 30k for budget remodels and go up from their according to finishes.

• User
    6 years ago

Your budget won’t even get you a builder grade master full of cheepchinesecrapola. Triple your budget and that’s a start for a 5pc master. Shills trying to sell you their services non the less.

Here’s the reality. You’ll spend as much on a Master Bath as you will a Kitchen. Start at 15% of your home’s value as a guideline.

https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/homeowners-guide-to-hiring-qualified-tile-installer

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/bath.design.rules.htm#.WuNz_K9OnYX

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2018/

• janecalle
    6 years ago

@roarah, that sounds about right!

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I know several people in my area who have done it for 12-15K. I'm not sure where you all live, but things are much less expensive here. We aren't doing any structural changes and we don't have any issues with leaks. Basically it's just installing the new stuff. I looked at that chart you have and it's a bit ridiculous. 3K to replace a garage door? We did ours 2 years ago for under 1K and we have a great new deck for less than the 9K they have quoted. Like I said, I'm not looking for some designer bathroom, just a nice functional one.

• janecalle
    6 years ago

Buford, You are so right that there are regional differences. And the chart someone above posted may be beyond the expected cost in your area. But, your list is unrealistic for the budget you presented, even through Home Depot. It's not the design, per se. It is the features and materials, as well as the reconfiguration (shower moved to here, bathtub set here, in-floor heat...a big one...), and the need for quality installation of a shower. Beautifully designed showers will fail (meaning they are not functional) if the proper installation methods were not adhered to. It's not "just installing a new shower". Adding in-floor heat is not "just installing new stuff". There are structural and beyond the facade mechanics that must take place = competent labor + materials. You asked "If this was doable for 10-12k?" Speaking for myself, I only wanted to provide an opinion based on my experience that may help you as you prepare for your meeting on Monday with your contractor. Take what you can from these forums (and take nothing personally), so that you can have a more educated discussion with the contractor.

• roarah
    6 years ago

Labor is the only real cost differential. Supplies are about the same through out the usa with online sourcing. A well made double vanity, counters, two sinks and two faucets that will last at least five years will cost thousands not hundreds. A decent tub should be over 2k there is half your budget already. Shower glass not including install from hd is almost a grand add install double it. Waterproofing is cheap to purchase but worth paying a lot for a proper install. It might be doable to do a large 5 piece for 12k but it will most likely not be durable.

my bath is not at all high end it very simple and again your entire budget was used up on a simple 3x5 shower install with inexpensive tiles and no plumbing costs included in that price.

• roarah
    6 years ago

As to the garage door. I am replacing two 8x8 doors my first choice doors, mahogany stained real wood with openers and labor were, wait for it, over 12,000 with installation! I am not going that way but HD cheapest doors for my size are over $800 per door excluding labor. With labor hd white cheapest doors are 2500 to purchase and install. These are steel with no solid core or insulation! The doors I am having installed are amarr and will cost me 6000. The chart is accurate.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    6 years ago

Heed the advise janecalle posted above. It was spot on. Use the links Sophie provided. They are extremely useful. @Tina, It was nice to see you finely got your shower redone. Use caution as you have been there when it comes to recommendations. You had a successful Schluter Kerdi installation. But there are better quality systems for less $$$ Schluter does have the best marketing. That's not disputed:)

• Pyewacket
    6 years ago

We were quoted something over 3k to replace an existing cast iron tub (porcelain has worn through in spots) in the EXACT SAME SPACE as existing, with tub surround, not tile, but ONLY if we did the demo AND we did the finish work ourselves. Also I did not find this contractor to be very credible as one of the very-young pair that came out to do the estimate tried to convince me that the mildew on the caulk around the tub was actually *shudder* BLACK MOLD that was DEFINITELY ALL THROUGH the interior wall space and I would have to remediate that at additional cost. By them. Which they are neither competent nor licensed to do even if it were true. This kid also tried to convince me that the tile had been installed directly over wallboard (the home originally had plaster walls so it would have been over plaster not wallboard). He apparently failed to notice the one broken outside corner tile that has a chunk missing so you can clearly see the cement board behind it, LOL!

In short, untrustworthy contractors wanted 25% of your entire budget just to put a tub and enclosure in. Forget any finish work whatsoever, and no demo at all. If you want to do it for that sort of money, you need to educate yourselves and do it yourself. Personally I'd live with it. I LOVE a great big tub! Certainly not useless to me!

I'm sorry but 12k for what you want is not realistic even in GA.

BTW, years ago, local JV schools used to offer classes to the public for all sorts of construction/finish work, mechanics, etc. I took lots of these classes. I don't know if they still do that, but were I you, I would check, and take as many as possible even if you decide to go with a contractor. Then you will know what questions to ask and have a better idea of how to evaluate the job before just signing a contract, even if you ultimately decide NOT to do any of the work yourself.

JV - joint vocational schools. Sorry. That terminology is probably pretty opaque to people who don't already know what it means.

• lisase
    6 years ago

You might able to stick close to your budget if you do a lot of the work yourself. We are in the middle of a master bath remodel and are doing most of the work ourselves (everything but the quartz vanity counter). Here's our cost so far:

Lowes custom order vanity (total 78" long) $2,400

Water proof shower system - $1,200

Free standing bath tub - $800

Shower tile and floor tile - $2,500 (it's nice tile)

I still have to buy sinks and faucets, and of course the quartz counter top. Thinking our total will be $10,000 to $12,000. We kept the same foot print. My husband had to move some plumbing and electrical but not much.

good luck!

• mayanl5
    6 years ago

Total gut of our downstairs bath with alcove tub/shower was about $6,000+ after adding up most our receipts. We used mid-grade materials and it took almost 3 months to complete while working day job. Bathroom is on the small side. Currently working on buying materials for the master bath remodel now and things are adding up.