SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizaveta

Move my indoor cat to an enclosed courtyard?

lizaveta
6 years ago

We have a 13-year old cat, who has lived all of her life indoors. We also have an 11-year-old standard poodle, and the cat and the dog do not get along. Last summer we moved to San Diego, and have been renting. Since the move, the cat has lived in the large laundry room, with a window. I occasionally crack the laundry room door, and if she ventures out (rare) it is only for a moment. She is a fraidy cat, probably a result of growing up in a house with 5 kids and dogs. I am in and out of the laundry room several times a day, so she's not completely isolated, and she seems content. Next month we are moving to the home we have purchased. I'm stumped about where to set up the cat indoors. However, the house has a charming, large courtyard off the kitchen, that gets both sun and shade. The walls are 5 feet high. The outdoor kitchen is there, as well as a door to the driveway, so I would often visit her in the courtyard. Would it be cruel to move my indoor cat to the courtyard? I could get her one of the outdoor cat houses, and put a heating pad inside for SoCal winters.

Comments (22)