SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Can an outside cat be trained to stay indoors?

alisande
16 years ago

My cats have always been indoors 100% of the time. But last year we adopted an adult female and her male kitten that had been living next door, sheltered by a horse barn. They have no interest in returning to their former home, even for a visit. But they love going outside.

They have a great time outdoors, hunting mice and moles, stalking blades of grass, the whole bit. In the morning, Pogo, the male, snuggles in bed with me and then streaks out the front door as soon as we come downstairs. He and Annie, his mother, are in and out throughout the dayÂthis time of year, mostly out. In the winter it is mostly in. At night, they're indoors.

It seems like a nice arrangement for them, but I'm increasingly concerned about the dangers outside. I don't know how far they go from the house, but I know my neighbors have been known to shoot at just about anything as hunting season approaches. And I don't think it's a good idea to have a black cat (like Pogo) roaming around when we get closer to Halloween. And then there's Annie's habit of lying down in the road. It's a dirt road, and not heavily traveled. But it's still a road.

So I would really like to keep them in, but they're so quick and so determined. Is it possible to get these cats to the point where they no longer try to get out? Or am I kidding myself?

Thanks!

Susan

Comments (9)