SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielle_calero

Unable to seal wood floors before move-in... help?

Danielle C.
6 years ago

I guess by "help" I either mean, "please jump on a plane and show up at my house to seal the floors for me while I'm at work tomorrow morning" or simply "advice please"?

The gist is that we had about 30 days from closing to move-in, and hired a contractor in the first week to come in and update our bathroom, level out the concrete floor in the walk-out basement, and handle a few other small things (the previous owners took a TON of shortcuts in the house-- for instance, instead of crown molding, they painted a board and just leaned it against the wall(??). We did a walk-through and he said it would be five or six days worth of work spread over two weeks.

Welp, that didn't work out. He just didn't show up for 3 days and then told us his wife had appendicitis, and so he wouldn't be back for another 4 days. Then there were torrential rains. Then he didn't have his crew. Then he showed up hours late. And so on. Out of caution I had us move our move date from today the 22nd to the 26th and I am glad I did-- he was SUPPOSED to be done on last Tuesday. He didn't finish until 2pm today (Sunday). The problem is we had expected to have ample time to paint the 4 rooms on the second floor (bathroom post update, our room, stepdaughter's room, office), and then we were going to sand and seal the wood floors on the second floor-- which have apparently not been sealed in at LEAST 14 years (remember the previous owners took shortcuts? not taking care of the house was one of them).

Now we're at Sunday night, and with work looming tomorrow, we simply do not have time to do the floors. I am decidedly unhappy about this-- I'm not just talking about the look, but the texture. The wood is actually rough in some areas and I foresee us all ending up with splinters. But we don't have time or ability to take off work and spend a day sanding the entire top floor (the first floor is fine, oddly), and then sealing it and giving it enough time before putting furniture down. We can't move the move date again. So we are looking at having to move in and... I guess doing the floors later? So I'm trying to ask, from people who may have sealed/finished/whatever'd their floors while IN the house, what did you do? I'm super bummed, to be honest. It's not the end of the world, but I wanted this done! But tell me, what do I do now?

....Thanks if you read all of that!

Comments (2)