SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaylen_bartoshewski

Late Spring... Lawn plan confusion

Kaylen
6 years ago
Hello,

I live near Toronto in Ontario Canada. My lawn care plan this spring was to throw down some preemergent and low N starter fertilizer about now, followed by overseeding in about 6 weeks and an application of fertilizer.

I woke up today and the ground was frosted over, so I figure at best I'm a few weeks away from any germination at all. This means I need to make a choice of preemergent or overseed this spring.

There are some thinning areas on my lawn that need repair, and the portion of my lawn that would be considered full sun is predominantly ryegrass, and I want to start introducing kbg to have it hold up better during the heat of the summer. To be honest I was really excited to give a proper overseed.

Overall my weeds are decently under control. I spent a significant amount of time over the past 3 summers hand pulling bins work of dandelions and fighting back clover. Being Canada, with essentially no effective selective herbicide available, my neighbors produce dandelions like a factory.

If I use preemergent in early May (assumed) when the germination period starts 6 weeks later we will be entering the heat of summer and I don't see any point in overseeding then.

My questions are:
1) Do you think I should use the preemergent this spring and only seed areas that need patching (and skip the preemergent in the patching areas)
2) Due to the late start in the season, do you think I'll only have time for 1 fertilizer application before summer heat? Again this is assuming germination won't occur until early May.

Comments (2)