SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalbestyears

Can we talk about digital book resources?

Bestyears
6 years ago

...Not about electronic devices like Kindle, Nook, etc. vs. physical books, but about the resources for acquiring reading material?

I'm a voracious reader, at least two books a week. I also quilt and love to listen to audiobooks while in my sewing room. So while I still spend more than I probably should purchasing books, I utilize my library and other sources all the time. The good news is there seem to be more and more places to borrow books all the time. The bad news is it's confusing! So I thought maybe we could compare notes and help each other out here. Currently, a monthly subscription to SCRIBD ($9.95/mo.) is my primary source for audiobooks. Works well, but of course they don't always have the title I'm looking for. I utilize two public libraries. These used to be fairly straightforward, and overall the selection has improved over the years. These days the libraries offer Overdrive, Hoopla and Cloud Library in addition to their own catalog. While this definitely increases the number of available titles, I'm getting frustrated because my Kindle Paperwhite doesn't support anything but a straight library loan. So I can read titles available through Hoopla, Cloud Library and Scribd on my Macbook but not on my Kindle. I primarily read in bed before going to sleep, and I want to do so on my Kindle.

Would love to hear other's thoughts and experiences.

Comments (20)