SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Can we talk about photography?

solstice98
17 years ago

We see some beautiful photography on this forum and I thought it might be fun to share some talk about it. I go to the photography forum once in a while but they are usually way over my amatuer head.

I would like to know where you are at with your picture taking. What are you struggling with? Where would you like to be? Maybe we can help one another get even better at this.

Kate

Here's me:

CAMERA - I'm really enjoying my new 4.0 digital (Canon A85) but am still pleased with many of the photos I took with the old Nikon Coolpix 2.1. I'm convinced the composition of a picture is much more important than the quality of the camera or lens.

SKILLS - I think I do pretty well with composition and balance but don't always take the time to set up a shot. An OK image misses being a really good one because I didn't fix the background, remove a yellowing leaf, pull a few weeds, wait for the light to get a little better, etc.

CHALLENGES - I don't really understand the technical side of photography so once I leave the automatic setting on my camera, I'm lost. Partly, that's what this posting is about. Maybe we can each share one or two things we know!

WHAT I'M WORKING ON - I want to be able to take a picture at night that shows what I see at night. Dark scenery with deep blue sky and stars or moon shown in some detail. I don't want to take a picture of the Crab Nebula - I just want a pretty shot of the horizon with some stars behind a line of palm trees. You know that shot? You've probably seen similar pictures. How do they DO that???

Comments (24)