SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catnotes

Help Updating Red Oak Trim, Stairwell, & Golden Yellow Wood Cabinets

Kat's
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello! This is our new home and it's close to the beach and fog (it's 1 mile away and the home faces East and the back faces West). We have to mind moisture, sand, kids, and a promised future dog. My husband and kids surf. I want to put one unifying floor down (but can't change the stairwell) and love hardwood but my husband is opposed, saying that I will never let the kids nor him enter the home with a drop of water wet or speck of sand or live without constant worry about damaging the floors. I want to update the golden warm hues of the red oak but I worry about painting wood since it is wood after all and people say don't do it (I'm still inclined to paint at least some of it). I enjoy fresh, beachy, modern, boho, clean lines/mid-century decor. Advice on flooring types, colors, tone (dark, light, grey, finish? Bamboo? Hardwood? Luxury Vinyl Plank? (with cork or underlayment so it's not so hollow/loud to the touch?) I'd prefer natural products but I've read luxury vinyl plank would be good given our application and all our variables. I don't want tile because it would be too cold for those extremely foggy cold nights. Need help and expert advice pretty please!

I like the look of this beach home: https://www.houzz.com/photos/organic-bohemian-beach-cottage-beach-style-living-room-orange-county-phvw-vp~110576581 Can I achieve something like this with red golden yellow wood oak?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH