SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_28531818

Good accent colors in green kitchens with golden oak cabinets

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I was hoping for a major kitchen remodel, but I think it will be 3-5 years before that happens. In the meantime, we just want to do some cosmetic changes. We currently have the golden oak cabinets and mustard yellow walls and a yellowish-cream laminate counter. Too much yellow going on! I think the paint we will go with is somewhere in the olive green family to look nice with the cabinets but maybe a touch brighter or lighter. We are also going to get new laminate counters (budget option since this is hopefully a temporary situation). The counters will be darker, somewhere in the dark brown/blackish/dark gray area unless that seems too bold with the color scheme I'm thinking of. I am waiting for samples of Wilsonart laminate. We have wainscoting on the bottom of the walls right now which will stay because the walls behind that part would need to be redone (full of adhesive/nail holes) if we go without. We want to wait and get the new drywall when we do the major remodel instead of doing that now.

One question is whether to paint the wainscoting a true white or go with cream like I currently have. My appliances are all white so I thought a whiter white might be in order this time. The other question is about choosing an accent color (not for walls, just for a touch of color here and there). I'm leaning towards purple but I know it has to be the right shade to pull it off. I have a plum color on the walls of my craft room that I just LOVE but it's very bold! It looks like purples are hard to match as far as accessories go. I'm not sure if it would look better to be a subdued purple or something like plum. I'm wondering what other color combos would look nice with the green walls and golden oak. Any pictures would be great! Even though it's just a small update I want to be happy with it. I think anything I do with be an improvement.

My other idea is not to worry about purple as an accent color but instead focus on decorations that bring in the color of the counter I choose (dark brown or towards black). So much to ponder.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus