SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grisworld_gw

Need help on a kitchen update with oak cabinets...

GrisWorld
9 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this, but I was hoping to get some suggestions/advice on how to "update" my golden oak kitchen with pinkish formica countertops on a fairly modest budget. We bought the house a year ago but haven't done much with it since then. Our pre-existing floors are amber-colored polished travertine tiles, and they are a bit orangey looking. Replacing the existing cabinets is not an affordable option for us. Neither is changing the travertine floor tiles (although in a perfect world I could do both!)

We plan to change countertops to granite? Or Quartz? Replace the sink and faucet. Plan to change the cabinet/drawer hardware. Just not sure what will look good with the "busy" pattern of the oak grain cabinets and the "busy" pattern of the dark amber (orangey) floor tiles.

We thought perhaps a dark colored granite or quartz countertop would look good along the wall (incl the buffet area, which is to the side of the wall oven). And a nice lighter granite for the kitchen island.

For the backsplash we want something understated & simple...Like tumbled stone.

For the sink we were considering either a stainless steel single basin undermount farmhouse sink...Or a single basin dark Silgranit sink.

For the hardware, we like the look of the ORB or black cup pulls.

We are also considering adding a larger crown moulding to the top of the oak cabinets, and perhaps replace the small vent hood.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!