SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Last night I watched This Old House...

Anglophilia
6 years ago

I used to watch This Old House when it was first on - the Bob Vila days. I think I stopped watching as the renovations were so OTT - really can't remember. But having watched an full season this weekend on YouTube, I'm pretty sure that's why I stopped watching!

It's interesting. We have HGTV shows that show that an entire house (including kitchen), can be remodeled in 2 weeks and only cost $40,000. Can't be possible! We have others where they always discover a "catastrophe" that any inspector would have discovered - did they truly buy the house without an inspection? And then we have Fixer Upper which also does things pretty quickly, but in the end, much of the "transformation" is the way the house is decorated/styled, none of which is included after the big reveal. And then there is the daddy of them all - This Old House.

The show I watched was a Victorian in Belmont, a very pricey suburb of Boston. In 2015, the couple paid $1,100,000 for this house. It was pretty much gutted and both a front/side/back porches were added, plus a new kitchen, new master bath etc. No expense was spared on this renovation - as the designer kept emphasizing (hand stenciled walls in the master), it was all "totally custom". The old windows were kept and restored - contractor said for "about" the same price as very high end new replacement windows and there were about 42 windows in this house.

This Old House never reveals the cost of the renovation of their houses. Most owners don't really want that known and I'm sure the contractors don't want bids compared to the cost on the show - they do lots and lots of other work. But a similar house remodeling for another season, had the building permit state that the budget was $800,000. I'm sure this was at least that much if not more, and that did not include what the decorator provided in the way of new furniture etc.

I have no problem with someone spending this kind of money if they can afford to do so, and how wonderful that many of these old houses are being given a new lease on life and are not tear-downs. But a house that price and a renovation budget that is nearly the price of the house are so beyond the ability of most people to even comprehend, let alone afford.

Then there are the British shows. We see families living in used caravans (trailer) for a year or more with multiple children, no heat, and inevitably the wife ends up unexpectedly pregnant during the renovation (how does the many have the energy for sex with all those long days!). Most of the time, the husband is doing the renovation himself with a bit of help from family/friends, the occasional sub. Their skills are astounding, and they often also are working their regular job. The budget is always so much lower than one would expect in the US, that one wonders if it's accurate. And then the houses bought at auction and remodeled for next to nothing and flipped - one wonders if the new family will actually get moved in before all the shoddy stuff starts falling apart.

Then there are the British shows such as Grand Design that show people building their dream home. Often the budgets go so far over that the house is sold a couple of years later; some are never completed at all. And there is the show where an entire house is build for 100,000 British pounds sterling. Really? How did they do that?

Wouldn't it be nice to see some shows that are a bit more realistic, or is this all just escapist entertainment and no one would actually watch the real thing. Having done major remodeling 3 times in two different houses, and a kitchen not quite 2 years ago, I know what is "reality" and it's not these shows, except for This Old House. But it's not most people's reality.

Comments (23)