SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

Large nearly blank north wall ideas

WendyB 5A/MA
6 years ago

The vinyl siding on the bottom of this wall has been damaged by landscapers in several spots along a 10-15 long foot area in the center. The color is unavailable and the condo is suggesting painting some replacement siding to match. Ugh. I am skeptical of that as a good solution (match, sheen, peeling). In such a blank exposed setting, if it is not perfect, it will stand out like a sore thumb. So I (as addictive obsessed gardener) suggested putting a shrub border in front of the wall. That would hide siding imperfections and also keep future mowers away. They are open to that idea! And the responsible landscaper will participate in creating the new border (how much $ is not yet known).

So my question to you all is help coming up with a design approach and estimate to present to the condo. My typical design tendencies would yield a layered bed, but this bed needs to be narrow - no more than 4 feet deep off the wall. And a layered bed with typical diverse heights, textures, color, etc. would seem too overdone for a side wall like this and feel out of place for the complex. No other side walls are landscaped. A hedge of same plant seems boring -- although will solve the problem. I think the size of the wall calls for a couple of tall items (cap yews or arborvitae?).

What do you think?

Other factors: northeast aspect; zone5A; budget-friendly; lawn irrigation will reach the bed if not adjusted; entire wall length is about 30ish feet.

some context:

This is the most developed garden in the area. Mostly are builder-style shrubs with a few owner enhancements.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH