SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ray_gun

Mulch/Pruning Question

Hi All...I have two quick questions (to start with) :) I am brand new to rose gardening and super excited to finally have some of my own bushes planted. I planted 4 Mister Lincolns bare root about 1.5-2 months ago. They are FINALLY starting to show some nice basal breaks and I can barely contain my excitement. I obsessively inspect each bush every day to track growth. Some are further along then others but a few are peaking out above the mulch.

At this point in the season, should I remove the mound of mulch over the plants and leave some space between the roses and mulch or is it advisable to leave them covered until the weather warms up? Also, if some of the breaks are pointing toward the center of the plant should I cut those off? I know typically the answer would be yes so as to keep the center clean, visually appealing and allow for more air flow. But i'm hesitant and of the mindset that I should just let them do their thing as they get established and also the nicest looking break is pointing toward the middle of the bush. Any advice would be great appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (2)