SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christajordan

Basement ceiling options

CMac
6 years ago

I have a semi-finished basement, with painted block walls, vinyl flooring, and a tiled ceiling. It all looked fair (not great, not bad) until I needed to get steel beams put in for bowing walls. In the process, some ceiling tiles needed to be removed, leaving large unfinished gaps in the ceiling. Now I'm debating the best course of action to take. A few options I've considered are:

1) Simply replace the tiles that were removed. This is unlikely to be feasible because I haven't been able to find tiles with the same or similar pattern in them. To complicate the matter, some of the bracing that was put in for the steel beams is about an inch below the existing ceiling.

2) Drywall. I don't like this option because I like the idea of having accessibility to the plumbing, which is original to this 1950's house. Even if I made access panels, I don't know if I want to risk leaks ruining the drywall. (Note that much of the plumbing was exposed in the beam installation, so I currently do have access to it.)

3) Dropped ceiling. I might consider this, but I'm concerned about losing too much height. I've also heard that they can be a pain to install. But, it's possible that I could install without having to remove the existing tiles.

1. Remove all tiles and keep the beams exposed for an industrial look. Possibly spray paint it a dark color. This is seeming to be the most likely possibility. Are there any downsides to this option? Would I want to keep the cross-beams that were installed for the existing tiles to be nailed to, or would it look better with those removed (which would be the biggest pain of all, I think).

Attached are photos. The larger area of missing tiles is where I removed them thinking I'd go with option 4. Since then, I've been reconsidering all my options.

Thoughts?

Comments (2)