SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrskinsus

Master Bath need help with wall color.

Jeanne Grubin
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Demo on Remodel has not begun but materials have all been ordered. My style is transitional/contemporary. I have ordered Delta Dryden fixtures in Champagne Bronze. My vanity & cab are in natural cherry. My floor is Armstrong Prism Golden Acacia plank. My shower is white matte 3D and my vanity top is Iconic White Silestone. My house is painted in various shades of yellow, my favorite color. Our house is only 1850 sq ft. I need help with choosing a wall color (NOT grey) that works with my selections! I am leaning towards cream or some shade of turqouoise/blue. I need HELP from HOUZZ.

Comments (44)

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Delta Dryden Single Handle Bathroom Faucet, Champagne Bronze, 551-CZ-DST · More Info

• Related Discussions

X post from Bath forum-Help with wall color in master bath

Q

Comments (4)
    I think it will be stunning in the cognac. I'd do it in a heartbeat and I love all your choices.
    ...See More

Need help with a paint color for the master bath.

Q

Comments (1)
    I recommend taking your stone samples to the paint store. They could match one of the colors from the stone if that is what you desire. I would do a white venetian plaster finish to keep it white, bright and shimmering. I hope it turns out exactly like you want!
    ...See More

Need help picking a paint color for master bath vanity please

Q

Comments (4)
    The mirrors ‘go with’ the bedroom furniture and were brought from our previous home, so while I appreciate the thought, they r staying for now. Thanks tho.
    ...See More

Master Bdrm & Bath - Need help choosing wall color w/cherry furniture

Q

Comments (6)
    I like color in my bedroom - that is just personal preference and my choices are not in the more modern gray tones. I might have that same bedroom furniture - and I have gold trim in my bathroom:) My bedroom is light blue and the bathroom walls are a white with a gray undertone - goes with the tile. I think lots of colors are possible. If you prefer some of the more modern "grays" SW Sea Salt has a green / blue cast to it that could be pretty in the room. SW Sea Salt: This is a picture of my upstairs hall looking into the master. It is not a true pic of the blue color, but close enough to get the idea. https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-kitchen-in-progress-phvw-vp~45783770 This is the bath: https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~133220149 The Front Porch is pretty neutral gray - it should work if you like gray.
    ...See More
  • Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bathroom · More Info
    3D tile in Matter White with pebble shower pan.

• Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

I love a light blue-green in the bathroom. Would look good with the champagne gold. Not sure about the cherry wood. SW Sea Salt is a beautiful color. It's very light and relaxing, leans more blue or green depending on the lighting.

Jeanne Grubin thanked Emily Jowers
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    6 years ago

Thanks for the photos which are always very helpful! I agree with Emily that SW Sea Salt is a lovely pale blue/green, so she has that covered. Please also consider how wonderful white walls would look. SW White Flour is a nice warm white, and SW Creamy offers a more creamy approach as it's name indicates. With your white tile and countertops, I'd stay more on the white side than going too creamy.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

Go darker: B.M Andes Summit…you will not be disappointed in the CSP line. Colors are even better on the walls.

Delta Dryden Single Handle Bathroom Faucet, Champagne Bronze, 551-CZ-DST · More Info

Jeanne Grubin thanked JudyG Designs
  • Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your prompt responses. Thank you Judy for posting the flooring and Silestone. I like your suggestions but for a different home. We really do not like dark colors for anything. Even our furniture is maple, natural cherry, pine or birch.

Just to add to the mix, I purchased a Safavieh runner in their orange and green watercolor ! I love bright colors. I was originally going to hang a splatter type painting a la Jackson Pollock but then I found this rug!

Safavieh Watercolor 6'7"x6'7" Square Rug, Orange and Green · More Info

• Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

Love that! If you plan to use a lot of bright accessories in the bathroom, a creamy white is probably the best backdrop. Sea Salt is very light, though, and I think it would go with everything.

Jeanne Grubin thanked Emily Jowers
  • Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

White Marble Glass Kitchen Backsplash Tile, 12"x12" · More Info
    This is my back splash. The sinks are white Corian, undermount.

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

For those out there looking for new laminate flooring: Armstrong Prizm is a new product. It won a 2017 Design Award. It is designed to not dent and is waterproof.

• PRO
    6 years ago

If the rug is going in the bathroom, white walls would look great!

Jeanne Grubin thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

BEFORE

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I had a thought last night re wall color. We are replacing the tub on the left with a shower. The tile will run to the ceiling (well, the to the crown molding). New vanity in the same place as the old one. What about painting the wall behind the vanity white to match the Silestone top and then, paint all the other walls a cream? As you can see this is a short wall and since the tile goes all the way up the wall will be even shorter.

This area will become a seating alcove. The water closet is to the left. We are replacing the W.C. door with a pocket door.

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The window will be replaced with a non operational frosted window with a white grid along the frame of window. Current master BR carpet is gold. Here is the W.C.

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Please let me know if there is a particular shade of white or cream that will work.

• PRO
    6 years ago

I have used SW Alabaster with great success. Take a look at different whites and see what works best with your countertop and tile. I'd advise against mixing white walls with cream ones.

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wave Frameless Wall Mirror · More Info
    The GC and Tile sub along with my hub all insisted on running the 3D tile vertically like a waterfall rather than my planned horizontal like ocean waves. so I ordered these "wave" 23x31 mirrors. What do you think? I am now nervous about the style of hardware I ordered .

• PRO
    6 years ago

I find the mirrors a bit too whimsical, and perhaps too small.

• Cheri D.
    6 years ago
    Do not doubt your hardware, it is gorgeous! I'm not sold on the mirrors though. it may cheapen the look. for the wall color, I know you said no grey, but think about SW Twilight Grey. It is more beige than grey and provides a beautiful neutral color that will look amazing against the white and let your rug really pop out.
    Jeanne Grubin thanked Cheri D.
  • Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, how about 24 x 36" rectangle with beveled mirror facets. I could not find the correct size on HOUZZ but here are similar mirrors though smaller.

Florentine 22"x0.75"x36" Rectangular Wall Mirror, Gold · More Info

Darien Mirror · More Info

Blair Rectangle Mirror · More Info

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The shower will have a horizontal frosted window with a grid that matches the last mirror. What does the group think of that? Plus, I have a new dilemma. My tile guy suggested running the 3D ripple vertically NOT horizontally. What say you, fellow Houzzers?? This is so interesting for me. I am normally the one giving advice. LOL!

• PRO
    6 years ago

Was the window already there in the bathroom and you're going to have it frosted? Or is a whole glass shower enclosure with frosted glass in a window area? I don't understand.

Regarding the 3D ripple tile, since it's going in a shower, it seems to me that it should be set to look like waves, therefore horizontal placement would seem to be required. Maybe it's a problem of joining the edges at a corner that your installer is trying to avoid. You could ask him if he anticipates any problems with placing it horizontally.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Re the mirrors, I prefer 1 and 3, but perhaps you could consider just a wall to wall, splash to ceiling mirror. I know we're seeing a lot of individual mirrors these days, but the kind of mirror shown below gives you a lot of light and enlarges the feeling of space.

Master Bathroom Jade · More Info

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Carolyn, you are wonderful. thank you so much.

1. Window: if you look up at the before pics you will see a large window over the tub. It faces the backyard & the neighbors. The shower replaces the tub. The frosted window (for privacy) will be smaller than the original -- maybe 36"w x 30"h. We will have Starfire glass for the shower doors.

2. Mirror: I prefer the 3rd option as well but in the 24x36" size. We already have a large mirror above the vanity. I wanted something easier to maintain. My husband tends to smear the mirror. I am in good health but I am 69 and don't feel I should be climbing up for cleaning. I do like the look, though.

3. Ripple direction. I returned to Emser tile today and all the women like the horizontal placement, The men prefer the vertical. I am going with horizontal. It will make the small shower area look larger.

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    6 years ago

JudyG Designs nailed it. Love the blue and the wood on the floor.

• PRO
    6 years ago

If you have an ideal size that you can't find, your local picture framer can easily frame a couple of mirrors in your desired size. They will have a mirror supplier so all you'd have to tell them would be the finished size you want and you could select the frame in a gold to go with your faucets. I'd like to see the mirrors with a very simple look.

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Neat idea! I thought of a simple gold frame but I found the champagne bronze is an odd color and not easily matched, especially online. That led me to frameless. I want things to be light and modern. There will only be that one 36x30" frosted window for natural light.

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We currently have recessed lighting and when I mentioned having lights on the wall with the mirror, I got a pained ($$) look. ;-)

• PRO
    6 years ago

Another kind of individual mirrors you could consider is offset mirrors, which look like they're floating in space because they hang about an inch out from the wall by hidden means which your contractor could do for you very easily and inexpensively. See photo below.

Lighting is very important and if you feel you need more lighting, now is the time to do it. Remember that as you get older, you will need more lighting.

Bicton Riverfront · More Info

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Very cool! I will s/w hub about it. I also looked online at SW Alabaster. I like it with the white trim. We have the ubiquitous Swiss Coffee white for all trim and we have crown molding everywhere as well. Swiss coffee is the preferred trim color for No. CA painters. I found this beautiful color called "Summer white" and used it to paint my first house and then Swiss Coffee trim. The Alabaster reminds of that color. The Summer White had a touch of yellow.

• PRO
    6 years ago

If there is Swiss Coffee throughout the house, you may be better off just continuing that color in the bathroom.

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Swiss Coffee is the of the trim and crown molding. Each room in my home is a different shade of yellow or gold. My bedroom is striped tone on tone yellow...like the White House Oval Office, but smaller and less intense. ;-)

• Ethan Gi
    6 years ago

I think that dark colors would be the best choice. You said that the walls in your home are painted with different shades of yellow, it's nice. I think that yellow is a color of joy. But, maybe, it is better to try a more calming shade for the bathroom, to make it relaxing. My suggestion is stone gray.

Jeanne Grubin thanked Ethan Gi
  • PRO
    6 years ago

While I could see dark colors in a powder room, I would not paint a master bath a dark color, but would instead go very light, particularly with your dark vanity. The drama a dark color adds is great in a small space where you don't spend much time, such as a powder room. A light, clean look in a master bath reflects what is needed for starting the day.

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree, Carolyn! As a matter of fact, I think I have the color: SW Crisp Linen. It provides a subtle contrast with my Swiss Coffee white trims/doors. The vanity and cab are both natural cherry 50/minwax so it is a medium shade with lots of life. Same thing for the Prizm Acacia floor. We love sunlight so a dark color would not suit our tastes. It will be bright and light and clean. The watercolor rug and drinking glasses provide a zap of color.. My CAT was on the rug and started going after the vaious colors like the rug was laser pointer! LOL!!!

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Interesting note re 3D tile. I took a survey of 10 people (5/5 ) every man preferred the vertical and every woman preferred the horizontal.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Weird reaction on the male/female survey! Crisp Linen should do nicely for the walls. It has a wee bit of yellow in it and will contrast nicely with your white trim.

• K. Holiday
    6 years ago

Regarding your mirror choices, we recently added a master bath to our house, and put in similar mirrors/medicine cabinets from Pottery Barn. They are lovely, but if I were doing it over again, I’d get a simple mirror with no bevel. I can’t tell you how annoying the bevels are when I’m trying to get a look at myself!

Jeanne Grubin thanked K. Holiday
  • PRO
    6 years ago

A mirror without a bevel will give you a more contemporary look, plus as K Holiday points out, is easier to use, at least on a small mirror such as a med cab.

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oops, K, I never considered the cleaning aspect of bevel. I already ordered the beveled Blair Rectangle Mirror, 114-06 above to go with the style of our frosted window in the shower. They have the same grid only the grid in the shower window is white. I wanted the window grid clear but the mfg (Milguard) doesn't carry it. I haven't looked for a medicine cab yet because I want to see how much space I have. Currently, I have a medicine cab with 3 mirrored doors which I love for makeup and seeing the back of my hair. Carolyn, Thanks for the support on the Crisp Linen choice. I am actually starting to get really excited about this project. I live in Santa Rosa, Ca, scene of the Oct. wildfire causing lead time on vanity/cab to be 10-12 weeks. I waited 16 years for this, guess I can wait a little longer. ;-)

• PRO
    6 years ago

I thought K's comment on the bevel had to do with it distorting the image at the edge. I didn't think it offered a cleaning problem.

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I guess I will see. The PB mirror is 48" compared to the 36" length of the mirrors I ordered.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Lucky you! The 48" length should look splendid, and far grander than the

36" length.

• Jeanne Grubin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Quick question re shower walls 3D matter white tile. Pictured near the top on 4/4. Should it be position straight on, aligning row after row or like brick running bond?