SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anm6831

Building Our First Home - Can't Decide on Builder or Floor Plan

anm6831
6 years ago

My husband and I are in the process of building our own home in the Raleigh/Durham area, specifically in the Granville/Alamance/Orange County area. We are still in search of land, but we are also trying to decide between two builders. I really like the Abigail floor plan from Schumacher, and my husband likes the Branford floor plan by Drees. There are things we like and dislike about both builders. We've seen some negative reviews regarding Schumacher; however, Schumacher seems a bit more custom than Drees, which makes me more inclined to work with them. Overall, the cost seems comparable.

Has anyone in the Raleigh/Durham area worked with either Schumacher or Drees before? Does anyone have any opinions about either builder or floor plan?

Schumacher - Abigail Floor Plan

Drees - Branford Floor Plan

I specifically don't like that with the Branford, you walk right into the dining room. I don't like that the entrance to the master is basically in the living room, and that the master shares a wall with the living room (it's pushed back in the Abigail floor plan). I also wish the family room and kitchen were a bit larger (longer). If you put furniture in the family room, the back of the couch is very close to the island. The Abigail is more spacious, and I believe provides a bit more counter top in the kitchen.

In the Branford, I like the bonus room (compared to the loft in the Abigail), and the extra unfinished storage. I also like that there is a linen closet upstairs (the Abigail has none).

This is such a major decision - we plan for this to be our forever home! Once our house is built, we actually plan to build a barn wedding/events venue on our property. I'm inclined to choose the option that lets me have more customization, to ensure that our forever home is EXACTLY how we want it, but I'm just not sure. We're stuck! Thoughts?! Opinions?! Advice?!

Comments (56)