SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seoh_alex

A definitive answer to "best potting medium"

snek lover
6 years ago

Hi everyone. I've been caring for snake plants, specifically the shorter ones (a bunch of hahnii cultivars and a moonshine) for a couple of years now, and have only recently stumbled onto this wonderful community when looking for a better potting medium for my babies. What a wealth of resources available. I've learned a lot and would like to contribute back.

It's through this forum that I was introduced to Al's 1-1-1 gritty mix and the less used 5-1-1 mix. Both have worked wonderfully for me, but in reading many discussions on the forum, I've realized that the 1-1-1 is not the final answer. A plant's potting mix should also depend on the owner's watering habits and the climate in which it's grown. I've read a lot that the 1-1-1 doesn't work as well (mixed results) up in really dry/hot climates like Arizona.

I believe the best way to optimize a plant's genetic potential is to use the guidelines set by Al's 1-1-1 mix, but to further tailor them to your specific growing environment.

The starting thing I think it particle size. Most would agree that any uniform mix of particles ranging from 3/16 - 1/4 inch leaves enough small air pockets for the roots to get enough oxygen.

From what I've learned, I would comfortably say:

Particle SIZE affects aeration

Particle MATERIAL affects water retention. (to a small degree, pores in a medium can also affect aeration)

Assuming that this is indeed the optimum particle size, we've maximized the amount of oxygen our roots are getting, and the only thing left to vary, in order get the optimum potting mix, is the water retention of the mix. But this unfortunately is where we have an almost infinite number of degrees of freedom.

I'm inspired by this great experiment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_a7g6C2Ls

For those too lazy to click the link, Appalachian Bonsai weighs a cup of a particular substrate, soaks the medium for 1 hour, and weighs it again to see how much water was absorbed. He then waits another 5 hours to see how much water is retained. His results are as follows:

1. Coconut Coir: 129g @ 14.57% loss

2. Compost: 26g @ 31.58% loss

3. Pine Bark: 22g @ 33.33%

4. Commercial Peat Moss: 6g @ 40% loss

Inorganic Rankings:

1. Diatomaceous Earth: 37g @ 30.19% loss

2. Akadama: 22g @ 26.67% loss

3. Kanuma Pumice: 22g @ 29.03% loss

4. LECA (Turface): 30g @ 36.17% loss

5. Vermiculite: 28g @ 41.67% loss

6. Perlite: 14g @ 36.36% loss

7. Sand: 12g @ 67.56% loss

8. Lava Rock (Scoria): 4g @ 76.47% loss

9. Expanded Shale: 2g @ 84.62% loss

10. Granite Chips: 1g @ 94.44% loss

What I would like to do is to redo this experiment under more realistic conditions. Instead of soaking the material for an hour, I would like gently pour water on the surface until I see water seeping though the bottom of the container. I would then weigh the containers EVERY HOUR for 10 HOURS to get a clearer water retention curve.

But we're not done. What I am more curious about is how these different media interact when they're mixed together.

Coco Coir at 86% retention after 5 hours mixed with Granite at 6% retention won't give a retention of 46% (the average) if the two materials are mixed 50/50. The coir will fill some of the pores, and drier media could have a wicking affect on the wetter media, so it's not that simple.

I would like to test:

the standard 1-1-1 gritty mix

the standard 5-1-1 mix

my own 1-1-1 mix where I use a mixture of stalite and granite instead of pure granite and a dash of worm compost,

and a 1-2-0, 1-1.8-0.2,1-1.6-0.4, 1-1.4-0.6, 1-1.2-0.8, 1-1.1-0.9, 1-0.8-1.2, 1-0.6-1.4, 1-0.4-1.6, 1-0.2-1.8, and 1-0-2 gritty mix, varying the ratio of turface and granite and observing the water retention versus time curve.

BUT ALSO, YOUR OWN MIXES.

HERE'S WHERE I NEED YOUR HELP (but I think the help would go both ways)

I would love to get samples of YOUR potting mix. I would test it in the same way as the individual materials. I would love to have water retention versus time curves of many different samples of 1-1-1 (we all use different brands and variations). and your own custom mixes that stray a bit from the 1-1-1 path. If you are curious as to what your own personal sansevieria potting mixture's water retention qualities are, especially compared to others in this community, then look no further. All you have to do is send over your mix to me, and I'll test it.

I hope to publish the results, so the community will have even more information to make the best decision for their plants. (People living in humid climates may want to go for a drier mix ~10% water retention after 10 hours, and people in drier/hotter climates may want to go for a mix with ~40% water retention after 10 hours)

Let me know in the comments if you think this is a good idea, and if you would like to send over a sample of your potting mix for testing, feel free to message me.

Comments (62)

• woodnative
    6 years ago

How much soil do you need and to what address?

• snek lover
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks Stush! There are indeed so many variables that affect plant health like you mentioned, but I believe to test all of them that would be over-over-thinking ;) Maybe sometime after my water retention tests, I'll test the pH of all the mixes. Would you be interested in sending over a mix you use? I'm sure alot of people here would really appreciate seeing the substrate properties for a grower who has had as much success with Sansevierias as you have. If not, it's totally cool.

woodnative, let me send you a PM with all the details. I'll only need a cup (240 mL of volume) of each individual sample, however many you wish to send. Thanks for taking part!

edit: woodnative, It seems I can't message you. I just changed my messaging settings so anyone can now PM me, so if you could message me, I'll send you the details. Thanks.

• Related Discussions

Best pot/medium for low humidity

Q

Comments (5)
    If you live in the woods in the Bay Area, think about the possibility that the issue is light. San Diego is very much sunnier than the Bay Area, especially in winter. And woods nearby, and you've quadrupled the problem. If you need heat 9 months of the year, I'd venture your windows don't get any sun. Unless you are giving supplemental light, it is probably way too dim for orchids to thrive, even the phal. Like Julie, I would also have recommended a repot. But given that you have already done that ... Sometimes new bark stays too dry right after a repot. Certainly for phals, you should pre-soak a bark medium so that it retains some moisture. The number 1 cause of stress in phals after repotting is caused by lack of moisture-- the new medium staying too dry, the water just runs right thru without any of it staying and the plant gets too dry. Give them a soak for a half hour or so, and then water on an as-need basis. It may be less than once a week if your house is dim. If you don't get at least two to three hours of sun in a window in your new house, you will have to provide artificial light.
    ...See More

Definitive Answer On Peppers?

Q

Comments (5)
    Okay, I went to the source once I had time. The Aggie Horticulture PlantAnswers site says: 3. Q. If you plant hot peppers beside sweet peppers, will the sweet pepper plant produce hot fruit? A. Absolutely not. Pepper flowers are self-pollinated, although occasionally cross-pollinate. However, the result of this crossing will appear only if seed is saved from this year's crop and planted next year. It will not result in off-flavor or differences in fruit characteristics of this year's crop.
    ...See More

Is there a definite answer, receptacle in a closet?

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks for your replies. I think I could handle installing this myself. So if it's not mentioned in the NEC does that mean it's fair game? I would think it would mention something. As far as electrical in the closet, it's pretty low voltage. All that will be plugged in are DTV multiswitch, 12 volt dsl modem, router, camera sequencer, 12v cameras, phone 110 block, alarm.
    ...See More

Please help!! I've tried and tried but no definitive answer.

Q

Comments (12)
    Laurie, might be a good idea to include the scientific name for the plant as well. Would you be referring to some form of Cissus? Many times a "common" name might be used for more than one type of plant or might not be used at all in some areas of the country/world. (For a non-plant example ... some folks may be unfamiliar with the creature known in some areas as a "puma", since in their area it might be commonly called a 1 Puma 2 ******** 3 Couguar 4 Panther 5 Panthere 6 Painter 7 Catamount 8 WIld Cat 9 American Lion 10 California Lion 11 Silver Lion 12 Mountain Devil 13 Mountain Lion 14 Mountain Demon 15 Mountain Tiger 16 Mountain Cat 17 Purple Panther 18 Tiger 19 Tyger 20 Lion 21 Lyon 22 Deer Tiger 23 Deer-killer 24 Pampas-cat 25 Mexican Lion 26 Indian Devil 27 Red Tiger 28 Brazilian Cat 29 Bender 30 Brown Tiger 31 Poltroon Tiger 32 Sneak-cat 33 Tyger of America 34 Mountain Screamer 35 Rocky Mountain Lion 36 Black Puma 37 King-cat 38 Varmint 39 American Panther 40 Great Panther 41. Catamountain 42. Cat-o-mountain or, as many know it, [entry #2] a cougar. :-) )
    ...See More
  • Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    6 years ago

I think that may be my biggest problem. My soil is constantly changing. I'm going back to just potting soil with some perlite added. My mix for aloes are different and I get them all mixed up. My mix for aloes/haworthias is 1/2 to 3/4 granite chips called poultry grit. Some euphorbias I have in pure granite chips while another one in garden soil high in clay. I use alfalfa pills added to the water in spring to boost growth. I used to use compost tea but my wife hates the smell. That was outside during the summer. Imagine if used inside during winter! Smells like an old barnyard. Loaded with the micros needed for plant health.

I'm no plants man. Every nice looking plant I own is half dozen failures. Most times I know I screwed up.

• Robdb8
    6 years ago

Hey Snek, I feel like we're all constantly learning from our soil compositions. I'd like to partake in your little experiment as well.

• snek lover
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Robdb8, that's great!

That makes three users who are sending in samples for testing. Send me a PM, and I can give you more details regarding sending in the samples.

• robinswfl
    6 years ago

Well, I must chime in and say -- NO, Stush, you are indeed a plants man. I have learned SO much from reading your posts, especially in the Sans forum. But I must also agree with you about the soil mix changing constantly, because that's something I have done too, and not always with stellar results.

I have also read LOTS of Rina's posts where she says C/S soil and perlite, C/S soil and perlite over and over. Like you, I am beginning to go back to that for Sans. For me, the Sans that do best are in that combo, usually with a handful of manna pro poultry grit thrown in. One of the biggest challenges, I think, is learning from each other while "adjusting" for all our different locations and climates. I am always trying to "adjust" for my own Florida growing conditions, and not always successfully, I must admit. But the good thing is -- we ALL try. We are all plants people in our efforts.

• woodnative
    6 years ago

I got some fresh mix made up over the weekend. Hopefully will get it in the mail to you the next day or so.

• snek lover
    Original Author
    6 years ago

fantastic! Thanks alot.

• woodnative
    6 years ago

The soil is in the mail!! LOL!

• woodnative
    6 years ago

Would you like to include the standard "Miracle-Gro Cactus and Succulent" mix that is sold everywhere? And/or that plus equal amounts of perlite? The only caveat is that it would probably have to be wetted first. IF it is too dried out the peat will be hydrophobic initially so you may have to modify your method a little.

• snek lover
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I plan on including at least one standard cactus succulent mix, either miracle grow or hoffman, or espoma, as well as a mix of one of these and perlite. Maybe more if I can get my hands on more of the commercially available ones. I feel like this data would be most useful to the community, since it represents what's most readily available to most people.

I would definitely have to wet it first though, which isn't a problem, because I'm looking at how quickly water evaporates from these mediums after saturation.

• Jon
    6 years ago

Interesting thread. I'm starting to learn about this stuff. Here are some of the things I've been thinking about, including water retention as well as some other factors.

You've probably read some of Tapla's threads on his 1:1:1 Al's Gritty Mix. If I recall, he said that granite serves to hold small amounts of water on its exterior: as those drops evaporate, they create humidity for roots, and offer more opportunity for the other ingredients - turface and pine bark - to absorb more water. If you look closely at the surface of the granite, it has indentations and groves (concave areas) that could serve to "cup" beads of water, or, as the water dries, air pockets for aeration and eventually for roots to fill in.

Conversely, turface tends to have more outwardly rounded edges that may be less prone to hold water on the surface or create pockets for aeration and root growth. Due to this, the water that turface holds is within it rather than on the surface, primarily, and could leave fewer spaces for aeration or roots. Consequently, a critique of turface is that (a) there is a risk of lower aeration than some other media, (b) that it absorbs and holds water, but doesn't release it back to the roots as well as some other media, and (c) that it doesn't have the porosity of akadama to allow fine roots to grow into it, breaking it down over time, promoting finer and finer feeder roots. Having said that, I use and like turface, and I'm experimenting with using it solely without other ingredients.

Addressing the critiques of turface... As far as (a) aeration, it is well-draining and allowing liquid to flow through it naturally sucks fresh air into the pockets between the turface fragments - I think good sifting removes enough fine turface to still allow good air pockets and space for roots. Regarding (b) holding onto and not releasing water, your statistics indicate it does release water at a comparable rate compared to other media - I like your idea of gathering more data over time. And finally, regarding it's (c) porosity, I get nice fine root growth in my plants with gritty mix - I'm not expert and can't say if it is comparable to akadama in the long run, but I've also see trees die because the akadama looks and gritty on the surface, but only inches below, at the base of the bonsai pot, it is like a brick: won't let water in, and once it gets wet, doesn't want to let water out. Maybe someday I will want to try akadama (despite it's price), but for now, I lean toward media that doesn't break down as readily over time.

• woodnative
    6 years ago

Lots of good points and interesting perspectives. Snek Lover how is the experiment coming along? Which soil mixes will you be using?

• snek lover
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm waiting for one more sample, and I'm going out of town the weekend of Mother's day. I should be able to conduct the experiment the weekend after that!

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    5 years ago
    Any update? :)
  • woodnative
    5 years ago

Yes! I am waiting too!! : )

• snek lover
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi everyone!

My apologies with the lack of communication. Life has proven to be very hectic recently. Things are finally starting to settle down at work (I teach at a high school), but when I tried to start the experiment last week, the scale I was trying to use seemed to be broken. I just ordered a new scale off of amazon, and am as anxious as all of you to get this started. Sorry we've had to wait so long!

• Robdb8
    5 years ago

I just thought about something the other day when I was watering, I thought I should at least throw it out there. Are you going to compare clay vs. plastic containers as well? Considering clay pots absorb a lot of excess water, this would change the playing field a good bit. Just curious!

• snek lover
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is definitely something I was considering, but I don't have enough small clay pots. Considering how long it has taken me to get started, I think I'm going to keep it simple and start with plastic first.

• woodnative
    5 years ago

Any updates Snek? School is out!! Things are heating up outside......all my Sans are outside and will enjoy the next 2-3 months before they have to be shuffled back. Seems when they are outside and in 90 degree weather it is almost impossible to overwater.

5 years ago

If over watering would kill them, then all my sans would be toast. We have had the most rain this year in any other year in memory. I know Woodnative would agree. I am loosing some Euphorbias to this down poring.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    5 years ago
    So, I take it this is not happening?
  • snek lover
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My apologies for the delay, but this is indeed happening. The data are are showing some unexpected results, so I think I'm going to wait until all the samples dry out completely to get a more accurate picture of how everything looks.

Best,

sneklover

• snek lover
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'll make a separate post with all of the results. Thanks for everyone who sent in samples! (the samples from Grace, Woodnative, Rob are on the right; the left side is various combinations of bark, turface, and granite)

• woodnative
    5 years ago

Good to see! Look forward to the seeing the "unexpected results"!! How are your hahnis??

• snek lover
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The unexpected results are that the 1:1:1 with bark turface, granite holds LESS water than the 1:0:2, a bark and granite mix with no turface, even though in isolation, the turface holds much more water. I might have to redo the gritty mixes, but we'll see when they completely dry out.

My hahniis are doing great. The silver frost you sent hasn't grown any more leaves, but it just sent out a pup! It's the smallest hahnii I've ever had that has sent out a pup. I think the "mother plant" is only 2 inches tall.

• woodnative
    5 years ago

Awesome!! I/we look forward to the full set of results!!

• woodnative
    5 years ago
    Love the summers! This one is almost literally glowing this morning!
  • Matt McLagan
    5 years ago

Ahh, science! I'll eagerly look forward to how this unfolds.
    From my limited experience, I've had fantastic results with my 1:1:1 for my Sans. and Jades, seemingly good results with other succulents and most everything else.

• snek lover
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A good number of the samples after a week are now lighter than their dry weight initially. I'm going to wait until all the samples are completely dry until I publish the results. A quick preview though: Peat based mixes absorbed more water than turface, but turface held onto water longer.

• woodnative
    5 years ago

Looking forward to it Snek!!

• lucillle
    5 years ago

I'm going back to just potting soil with some perlite added.

This is what I'm planning to use. My orchids have a less organic growing media, but the cacti/succulents, African Violets and everything else have potting soil plus perlite and have been doing well indoors.

• woodnative
    5 years ago

Snek Lover do we have final results?

• hellkitchenguy Manuel
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm going to try to do a pictorial of my next experiment. I got orchid mix and small orchiata pine bark, both from RepotMe. I'm going to mix a little of each, and plant some Hahniis in them. I just find it difficult to post pictures now that the option is not available from my phone. The Hahniis that I got from GlassHouseWorks were beautiful until I placed them in an all gritty mix, and then promptly dessicated even though I watered very frequently. So for me at least, gritty mixes and Hahniis don't mix

• woodnative
    5 years ago

Manuel I agree. Although some folks have great success with those gritty mixes they are not for me. Trifasciata types in particular seem to like some moisture. I am still adjusting to Houzz but I see the “photo” option below the box I am typing in on my phone.

5 years ago

I am using composted grass clippings (several years old) 75% to perlite or grit. I also add a bit of bone meal and a few Alafia pills to the mix. Getting double growth out of my hahnii. Cutting down on gritty mix.

So far if nothing goes wrong, this is going to be my best year ever for my sans. My other stock is out in this over wet summer and just hanging on. My sans are in my covered porch with morning sun. All my tall sans are out in the weather but seem to be handling it well.

• woodnative
    5 years ago

snek lover............almost time for classes to start again.................just a prod for the final results!! We are looking forward to it!

• snek lover
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Attached are all the data.

For each of these samples, liberally poured water into the cups until copious amounts of water drained from the bottom. (This isn't the most realistic watering scenario, but I wanted to see the full saturation point of how a top down watering method would work)

I then weighed each sample at the given time intervals. For the gritty mixes, given the volume of the cups, I found that 10g of water was a point so low, that I would consider it "dry" (when the turface reached 10g, it looked very light in color) For the peat based mixes, when they had around 25g of water, they appeared slightly damp. I used that as a baseline, and marked the chart orange on the times these relative thresholds were reached to give a sense of when one would have to water the pot ASSUMING THERE ISN'T A PLANT drinking water. You should be watering sooner than this, (although, using a 1-1-1, I've been watering my Hahnii's once a week. Maybe I should be doing so more often?)

For those of you whose samples I tested, let me know if my data seems to support what you've experienced yourselves.

Feel free to use this data how you want. Those in hot and dry climates might want to opt for a medium that retains the most water for the longest. Those in humid cold climates, might opt for the opposite.

I'm still going to avoid peat mixtures, just because it's so hard to re-saturate them if they dry out. And in my NYC climate, I'm going to stick with 1-1-1 for now, at least for Sansevieria.

Maybe I should just make a new post with all the results in detail with graphs? What do you guys think?

• woodnative
    5 years ago

Looks good. I think it would be nice to see the results in their own post too. I will have to look at it closer.

Once a week? Depends on so many things. I never water on a schedule.......just as they need it...........keeping them damper in summer (longer days, warm temps, actively growing) and dryer in winter. Even in winter, those hahnis lucky enough to be on my kitchen window are pretty dry each week when there is decent sun. Right now my plants are outside for the summer. In this hot weather they would be happy if I flood them with the hose (or rain) every day or two!

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago

Somehow missed this thread, interesting stuff although I'm a simple trial and error guy. I don't care for the gritty mixes, I think for most people almost any commercial mix with 50% or more perlite added will grow good sansevierias. I exclude the heavy dirt-type so-called 'potting soil'.

Like Stush, I thought this was way over-thinking soil mixes. But the results are interesting and do give some guidance on materials.

Snek Lover, the mix you decided to stay with for now is bark, Turface and granite grit in 1-1-1? Is the bark sifted to a certain size?

Stush, am I right that you're using 75% composed grass clippings to 25% perlite? Interesting!

Chris, what is the 'garden soil' you mentioned using in your mix? Commercially sold?

Turface holds far too much moisture for my conditions, literally every sans I've put in a Turface mix has eventually developed rotted roots, between 50 and 100 plants. Other ingredients were bark, perlite, some granite, and minor experimenting with peat and MG. Too bad pumice is only available in quantity in the far west.

Stush and Chris, your sans are stunning! I am envious!

Russ

• woodnative
    5 years ago
    Russ!! Great to see you here! Garden soil is just a couple handfuls of garden compost or soil from my vegetable garden. I don’t like the pure gritty mixed either but other results may vary
  • Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago

Thanks for that info Chris. How big a part is the soil to the total mix? Also, is the commercial mix a peat-based one, like MG? A friend grows sans in 7 parts perlite and 3 parts MG moisture control... keeps it simple. I will try a few sans in a facsimile of your mix, your results are fantastic. As you said, results can vary, but I'm always looking for that perfect mix.

Are you using any kind of fungicide or other sprays on a regular, scheduled basis? Sorry for picking your brain, I've had a decline in success with Hahnii's in recent years and trying get back to growing them like you and Stush.

Thanks, Russ

• woodnative
    5 years ago

Russ-

I usually use about 1/2 MG cactus mix OR potting soil, maybe 30% perlite, 20% or so garden soil or compost, and sometimes a little bit of coarse sand or bone meal or such added...............varies a little each time. I just feel better adding a bit of "real" soil. I always think of those mass produced 'Golden hahnis' growing in practically pure peat that show up the big box stores. For some grower it is profitable to and multiply these in this mix for wholesale....probably in a very warm and moist climate/greenhouse.

• Jon
    5 years ago

Interesting results! I've been using turface all summer on multiple indoor and outdoor plants, as well as for propogating cuttings. All plants are doing better with Turface than 1:1:1 Gritty Mix. When I started using gritty mix, it way outperformed potting soil combined with any amount of perlite, but I'm also sure I've improved other aspects of my plant care since then. I plan to transition other plants from gritty mix to turface as they need repotting.

One thing I noticed about turface and other gritty potting medium is that the top dries much more quickly than the bottom. Consequently, no roots grow in the upper portion of the pot; especially since I have a lot of bonsai pots, that is a high percentage of essentially unused soil and wasted space. I'm experimenting with growing moss on top of the turface. I finely chopped a thin layer of sphagnum moss and mixed it with live moss I collected. I spread it over the surface of the plants, and I'm misting 10-seconds every 2-hours to grow moss. I'm trying this on plants that don't need to go dormant, so the moss can continue to grow over winter, then I will try doing it with deciduous plants next spring (crepe myrtle, ficus carica). I noticed that simply placing a chunk of moss on the turface helped by bouganvillea grow roots right up to the surface.

5 years ago

Russ, thanks but I had my share of failures as well. I think mix is very important and it varies by each area where you live and how you treat your sans. Haws are different and so are agaves and aloes. Jades as so funny that I some times keep them in pure grit. Every time I buy a hahnii it is in peat and when I de-pot it, it has a complete root system all thru the pot. I never get that result in gritty mixes. A friend who mastered in horticulture told me that clay is the best soil for plants but roots can't get enough air to use all the nutrients in it. Also the plants only absorb nutrients into their roots thru bacteria growing between soil and roots. It's the bacteria that does the work just like in our own stomachs.

That said, I see why Chris use of garden soil is useful. Also explains Tiffany's in the ground growth of her sans in summer.

I just started using well composted clippings in my mixes. Still use some granite grit for air and drainage. Also add some bone meal and alfalfa meal.

Snek, That was an exhausting and well thought out job you did. We all thank you.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago

Jon, it sounds like you're using Turface as a potting soil, rather than as an additive in a mix. If so, talk about keeping it simple. I stopped using Turface years ago and don't recall if it has dust in the bag, do you rinse or screen for size?

Determining your actual success with 'gritty mix', you mentioned 'improved other aspects of my plant care'. Ever since 'gritty mix' has become popular I've thought that much of the success new users have with it might really be due to greatly increased attention to the needs of their plants, rather than qualities of the mix. Increased interest, checking plants more often and correcting issues immediately equals better plants, regardless of the medium.

Please post more conclusions as you come to them.

Russ

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Chris, thanks once again for the info. I could try compost but wouldn't dare use soil from the ground here in Florida, it's loaded with root knot nematodes. No substitute for good, black dirt with a lot of organics for healthy plants, I remember the old Innes mixes from long ago.

Commercial growers of sans have the process down with growing in nearly pure peat moss, and such a small amount of it. I'm sure it's all automated, and as you said, in warm, humid environments. Watering must be perfectly timed, any rotted roots we find at point of purchase has occurred after it hit the store.

Off subject, your philo "oligospermum" replacement is alive and well and propagated often, I'm bummed that I lost the original. Did we agree that the replacement is not the same species? I'm not sure I have pics of the original, do you?

Russ

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago

Stush, in spite of losses, you are a master grower. Trying to understand your mix, what is the primary ingredient... what do you start with and then add to?

Russ

• Jon
    5 years ago

Hey Russ - yes, I like not only the outcome of the turface, but the simplicity! I can order a 50 pound bag and it will be enough for a couple years I think. I do filter using a mesh strainer - I know some folks get really technical and use bonsai sifters, but I haven't felt the need thus far. I separate coarse material for relatively mature plants and the fines are used for cuttings. Some cuttings, I use unsifted turface, such as jades: I figured they need the fines to start rooting, but need more drainage than the average cutting. I haven't lost a single jade cutting using this approach. I have some azalea cuttings, euonymous, and bougainvillea that are all doing well in turface fines, simply sitting on my front porch (no extra cover for humidity, getting dappled morning sun).

My Fernwood (or japonica) sans put out a lot of new growth including a flower when I switched to turface from Gritty Mix, but I haven't tried my trifasciata or cylindrical in turface yet.

Al (Tapla) talks about gritty mix on other threads; I'm going to try to paraphrase, and hope I don't misinterpret anything. Bark is the organic that holds a lot of water, but is slow to abosrb, which is why we often soak bark before using it: otherwise all the water runs right over it and out the bottom. I believe one of his stated reasons for granite, beyond drainage without holding water for longer periods, is that it does hold drops of water on it's exterior after watering which can be absorbed more slowly by bark. AKA, it helps bark absorb/retain water. However, when I've repotted plants in gritty mix, I've found the top to be dry and sometimes more moisture (not humidity) in the lower parts of the pot, presumably because of water sitting on granite. Conversely with turface, it gets absorbed quickly, it doesn't sit in drops or pools, and it gets released slowly/consistently as humidity, which is what roots want: a combination of H20 and O2. That being said, Al is many fold more knowledgeable than me - these are just my musings as I spend way too much time watching my plants ;)

Regarding "improve other aspects of care," I think your right, people have more access to ideas and information, this thread being a great example. I look back on the way I approached my plants a few years ago while I was just starting to absorb information from this site and other sources, and I've made great improvements (with a long way to go still). So while I learned here that no amount of perlite will fix miracle grow (at some point, the plants simply fall out of the pot because the perlite is so light!), I also learned a lot of other things, so it is hard to compare the results I had with soil to the results I'm getting with turface.

5 years ago

Russ, I start with the compost. About 50% then add the rest. I only used it on a few plants. On my Sans. Asahi, I just added some compost and more alfalfa to the present soil and re-potted. They were a little beat up and in no time improved tremendously and pupped like crazy. I have at least 6 pups each plant.