SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

Revitalizing a Rose Collection, Summerland Ornamental Gardens

As some of you know, since I moved back west, I no longer have room for the large garden and a rose collection such as that I left behind in Eastern Canada. I will still continue to grow perhaps 20 or so of my absolute favorite roses, but that is a small collection by the standards I am used to.

But a new and wonderful rose challenge has presented itself to me. I am now the ex officio Rosarian for a hundred year old plus, 15 acre heritage ornamental garden in the South Okanagan of British Columbia. This garden, as with many others nowadays is maintained, funded and kept from ruin by a dedicated group of volunteers. I stumbled upon this little known treasure of a garden last June and ended up deadheading spent roses in July, as on one else of the volunteers had much experience with roses specifically. The garden has a languishing and neglected rose garden which includes a significant number of early English Roses, most of which are unlabelled and as yet unidentified. The garden is called the Summerland Ornamental Gardens and the Board of Directors just approved a five year plan to replant and revitalize the rose garden and the rose collection now that I am keen to be involved. We will in fact be pruning the remaining English Rose Collection on Monday.

It is my hope to expand the collection to include some of my favorite early Austin creations. We also hope to revive a collection of Agriculture Canada shrubs, Explorers and Morden Series, as well as start a collection of roses hybridized for cold climates by early Canadian Hybridizers such as Erskine, Skinner, Bugnet and others.

I have been meaning to write a post about this garden and my new involvement with it, but so far have been too busy working on the project to post about it. So have a look at the link above and if you ever find yourself in the South Okanagan of British Columbia, don't miss this garden, it is a little known Canadian national treasure.

Cheers, Rick

Comments (2)