SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

Some Images of English Roses From Summerland Ornamental Gardens

rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Well, I have finally gotten around to doing the inventory of the roses we have in the beds around the gardens, as well as labelling them. It has taken four seasons to bring them back from long neglect and to identify the varieties. I have had help previously from folk on this forum and that has been very useful. So, I thought why not post some images from this season's wonderful first flush. The Gardens are open to the public this bloom season and we are getting lots of visitors. The roses are a major hit with many of them. So I will try to give you a bit of a vicarious tour of :some" of the English Roses we grow.

A small plant of what I believe to be LD Braithwaite. It has begun to grow vigorously these past two seasons. It was almost dead and had not bloomed for the two seasons before. Perhaps in another season or two, it will grow to it's full potential

I am pretty sure that this one is Molineux, we have three, but again, I have not personally grown this variety in the past, so the ID is based on my refernece books. Back to full health and vigour again from struggling old plants.

Gertrude Jeykll, Three plants of this variety as well. All blooming their little rose hearts out.

Radio Times in front, Golden Celebration in back.

The perenial favorite, Evelyn. Three plants of her, and absolutely glorious this year. The Fragrance is increadible as those who grow her well know.

The rare and undrappreciated Lilac Rose. We have four plants of her in two locations. This is now one of my very favorite roses. John in California ID'd her for me. Increadable fragrance and huge rosette shaped, blush blooms. This image does not really do her justice. For this climate, this rose is a treasure.

Glamys Castle. we have four plants of this, two back to full potential and two still getting their vigour back.

To finish and a bit of a switch up. Not an English Rose, it is in fact a Rambler that I finally managed to ID this year. This is half of "Goldfinch growing on the fence at the entrance to the Gardens.

There is no way that I can give you a true idea of what a glorious garden this place is and the roses are only one small part. The roses are my particular passion and responsibility, but there is so much more to see, smell and take in here at what I have come to call "Canada's Secret Garden". It is a solace and a priviledge for me to live handy by and be able to participate in keeping this garden going and growing. The volunteers who run it and care for it are very dedicated and special people. Especially my rose team, six ladies who proudly call themselves "The Best Darn Diggers"!

I hope you enjoyed this wee taste of the roses in our wonderful public garden in the South Okanagan of British Columbia. There are hundreds more to see. Here is a link to the Home Page for Summerland Ornamental Gardens and a link to our Roses in the Gardens page for those who might be interested.

Cheers, Rick

Comments (10)