SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ourlifeinthesticks

Thoughts on this online house plan?

My husband and I are kicking around the idea of building this house plan. I posted here a couple of years ago with a different plan that we had purchased. We never went through with the construction. We've spent some time getting out of debt and saving a larger down payment, etc. We've since realized that our original plan just really isn't going to meet our needs.

Here are the details: We have 6 members of our family, my husband and I

11 year old boy

8 year old girl

5 year old girl

21 month old boy

Our lot is .75 acres in a cute, quiet little subdivision. It is a deep lot with a large back yard

...pretty good view of the mountains out the back, mostly it's a good neighborhood for the kids, schools, etc.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/open-floor-plan-farmhouse-30081rt

Things I like about the plan:

* the bedroom bathroom configuration upstairs. The girls would share the larger bedroom with the bathroom because they are closest in age and the boys will each have their own bedroom.

* playroom upstairs

* I also like the loft area upstairs for bedtime stories, etc...

* I like the guest bedroom on the main floor

* easy access to outside from the mudroom for the kids

Things that I'm not completely sold on:

* That living room is *RIGHT* in the kitchen, lol. I think I'll put a sitting room in there and use the office for a family room/TV. I don't really want a TV in my sitting/conversation area anyway.

* We'd like to add an unfinished basement, however...that presents a problem with the pantry.

* The laundry room looks a little small

* Actual conversation with my mom this weekend: "Man, that living room is right in the kitchen, my couch will smell like bacon." ...my 11 year old (constantly hungry) son: "What's the problem with that?" LOL.

I'm sure there is something I may have missed...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

~ Rachel

Comments (19)