SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_lindemann60

Looking for Living Room Decorating Advice

Andrea Roach
6 years ago

I've recently built a house and this is the living room. I'm having a difficult time deciding on a wall color, mainly because there are no windows in this room. The kitchen and breakfast nook are seen through the room divider columns, so there's some natural light, and there will be some coming through the doorway next to the fireplace. The wall behind the couch is a long, straight, blank wall.

My house is Victorian with a medium tone hickory hardwood floor and dark oak millwork. The fireplace is completely different from what the picture shows - it's actually a medium-dark cherry mantle surround and the TV above the fireplace will be a mirror TV with a frame.

I was originally thinking of painting a frieze around the living room up top to match the ceiling color (SW pure white) but I don't know what to do with the wall color. I was considering Sherwin Williams' "Neutral White" with the "Pure White" frieze but I'm worried that will be too boring. I want to create a little more drama. Or do I create that with bringing color in with an area rug, the furniture, pillows, etc.? How about wallpaper somewhere? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Comments (7)