SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gthigpen

Large front porch - need planter/plant help

gthigpen
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

New construction home....been living here about 6 months. We still have lots of "little" things to finish before it's officially done. Here is a pic of the front of our house. Still need a sidewalk, front steps, hardie wrap bottom of painted portion of columns and the bottom of the porch columns under the deck wrapped in stone. And of course landscaping. But until we get those items done, I want to make our front porch more inviting as it's completely empty right now. It's HUGE for one thing, which I love, but is overwhelming in it's blank slate. House front faces north and there a decent amount of trees so it's quite shady in the summer.

My plan for furniture is on the left side to put a porch swing facing perpendicular to the house with two chairs and small table. On the right side, two chairs and a small side table.

My question is about the area around the door. Specifically below the two small windows. It's about 8' wide and the bottom of the window is about 4.5 feet above the porch floor. I want to put some kind of table with plants on it. Should it be one big table and if so, how long? Or should I use several individual plant stands at varying heights?

And what plants? Hot humid Texas but no sun on this side. Ferns? Other?

How would it look to put hanging plants between the porch columns?

TIA!

Edited to add floorplan pic of porch area. You can't tell from the pic, but the door area is slightly recessed in. Makes putting a table or plant stands in front of those windows less obtrusive.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH