SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bryce_mccarthy

I want to install a steam shower with jets. Where do I start?

Jane Ericson
6 years ago

I have a bathroom that is in ok shape but I just really want to upgrade the shower. I know the cost of the fixtures and the labor are pretty high, so I don't think I am going to redo the whole bath - just upgrade the shower which will require removal of the existing white tile, cutting into the wall behind the shower to install the additional fixtures, and then putting tile back - possibly replaced with a different type of tile or stone.

I saw a bunch of prefabricated steam showers online for 1500-3000 but the reviews on them are hard to find, and some are pretty bad (others are ok) - especially with regard to installation problems. They have all the features I'd want, but I don't know if I'd risk it or if I could even find a plumber who would be familiar with installing such a thing. I could buy the individual fixtures and hire a plumber, but I don't know who to go to first - because they will have to work closely with the tile people. Is there a contractor who focuses on bathrooms and can coordinate the fixtures, tile, lighting, and so on? I am in the Chicago Suburbs (North) so if you have a recommendation, let me know.

I'm also not so sure if contractors are that interested in just doing a single shower and nothing else. Why would they take on a small project when they can redo a whole kitchen or bath? Anyway, I don't think I can manage the process myself since I know nothing about these things. Thanks.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH