SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jemgirlca

Please help me improve my fireplace!

jemgirlca
6 years ago

I'm getting ready to update my basement and obviously I need to do something with this fireplace. I was planning on painting the brick and adding a mantle. But then I realized there isn't a good way to find a screen high enough to cover the fireplace since it's 12 inches off the ground. So, I've been researching how I could raise the hearth. The fireplace has been converted to gas (vented, I think--we haven't tried it) but has nothing to cover the front. The previous owners used this screen they left behind, but I would like to get something nicer.

The current hearth is 24" deep. Can I just frame out a hearth on top of the one that's there? Then cover it with cement backer board and then tile or brick or something on top of that to finish it off? Or maybe there is a screen that I can attach to the fireplace that I don't know about and leave the hearth as is?

Also, since I don't have the specs from the gas conversion, I think I need to place a mantle (if I add one) 12 inches over the top of the opening? I was planning on making a faux beam that I build if I go that route, that's straight across. That would leave about 3 ft from the mantle to the ceiling. (The ceiling is 7-1/2ft in this room.

I'd love to have some advice and/or suggestions for what to do with this. I'm trying to update it in a budget friendly way. Thanks so much!

Comments (6)